PDA

View Full Version : chalk-free gym

unshift
09-20-2003, 09:52 PM
i've never used chalk before, but now that i switched gyms and changing my lifting style i'm finding that it's time to start... especially since at the new gym, the bars are much thicker than i'm used to and have pretty weak knurling

the only problem though is that the gym doesn't allow chalk (probably not deadlifts either, but they can go to hell). it's a gold's gym, but everything there is purple and there are basically a bunch of queers running it (don't even get me started on the people lifting there)

are there any decent alternatives to chalk? i'm finding that on my cleans and especially my deadlifts, the bar is getting slippery and my hands very sweaty (i wear wrist wraps now). i recently bought a box of chalk, should i just use it anyway? or is there any (invisible) alternative?

PowerManDL
09-20-2003, 09:54 PM
Use chalk anyway.

If they have a problem with it, chalk conveniently doubles as a ninja escape smoke-cloud.

unshift
09-20-2003, 09:58 PM
i'll bring smoke bombs too just in case

but is it good practice to needlessly chalk the bar the way i want to, ie for squats or bench? i'm thinking i should remain low-profile about my chalk use but yet i want to spread the dusty white love to all the bars in the gym, because none of them are knurled properly. i guess they don't want to get callouses like us uncivilized "breeders"... :rolleyes:

PowerManDL
09-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Use your chalk everywhere. You should be using chalk for leg presses.

unshift
09-20-2003, 10:03 PM
i'll chalk up the pink dumbbells for when i do my kickbacks too :thumbup:

ryan1117
09-20-2003, 10:06 PM
I'd just use straps if I were you. I'm in the same postion during the school year and I figure it is better to lift to your potential than to lift under your potential. I wasn't able to use chalk last spring and I still picked right up where I left off once I used chalk in a different gym over the summer.

Originally posted by PowerManDL
Use your chalk everywhere. You should be using chalk for leg presses.
I can't stop laughing at that.

unshift
09-20-2003, 10:07 PM
what's the best way of transporting chalk blocks? should i hulk smash them down into powder and then somehow bring my powder, or can i effectively use the blocks? and should i be chalking my hands, or the bar, or both?

unshift
09-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ryan1117
I'd just use straps if I were you.

not an option

ryan1117
09-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by unshift

not an option
...and why?

unshift
09-20-2003, 10:12 PM
this wonderful state-of-the-art facility that i go to has no safety rack, therefore i can't do static holds for extra grip work... so i need to get it all done in deadlifts (and shrugs)

DK
09-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by unshift
what's the best way of transporting chalk blocks? should i hulk smash them down into powder and then somehow bring my powder, or can i effectively use the blocks? and should i be chalking my hands, or the bar, or both?

I just crush mine up and put it in a ziplock bag.

Alex.V
09-21-2003, 10:29 PM
I've actually had damn good luck asking people very politely. Then using a truly minimal amount, bring two towels with me, and cleaning the bar/area thoroughly afterwards. If you demonstrate this to the staff, and are, again, polite about it, they may just prove that they're actually human and compromise with you.

ryan1117
09-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Belial
I've actually had damn good luck asking people very politely. Then using a truly minimal amount, bring two towels with me, and cleaning the bar/area thoroughly afterwards. If you demonstrate this to the staff, and are, again, polite about it, they may just prove that they're actually human and compromise with you.
I agree if it is a small gym or the same person is working there every week.

The only problem is if you have a different person working there every week. I talked one guy into letting me use it, but I kept getting greeted with a different person every week telling me not to use chalk.

Alex.V
09-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Manager.

NateDogg
09-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Stick-em spray :D

Anthony
09-22-2003, 12:59 PM
Just use it anyway. I've never been to a gym that allows it, but I make sure to clean up after myself and no one ever knows.

paty boy
09-22-2003, 10:28 PM
You can always use those colorless chalk balls that rock climbers use if it's really a problem at your gym. In my experience, the gym staff doesn't seem to mind if you clean up after yourself.

unshift
09-23-2003, 12:18 PM
last night i took a block and crushed it up, and put it in an inconspicuous crystal light container. i guess i'll try it tomorrow and see how things go... i'll probably walk in and they'll say "no beverages in the weight room" :rolleyes:

Max-Mex
09-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Are you using the Landsdowne Street Golds? Behind Fenway?

unshift
09-23-2003, 02:11 PM
yup

Max-Mex
09-23-2003, 02:40 PM
*cough*loser*cough*....j/k :p

A friend and I went there one day for a tour. Not any different than the clubs that are near it. Guy really wanted us to join. Got so bad we just left him at the table.

unshift
09-23-2003, 02:50 PM
be glad you didn't... it sucks. i really miss the world's i go to back home :cry:

Max-Mex
09-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Did you check out that gym in Kenmore sq? It right across the street from Uno's on the 2nd floor. I don't know what kinda commute you make, but there's also Mike's Gym in the South End. Pros: lots of real equipment, con: lotta gay people (if that stuff makes ya uncomfortable). There is a new Gold's opening near Broadway T-stop. Pros: New gym, looks like it's much larger hence could have better equipment, cons: still a golds, maybe too far to travel.

unshift
09-23-2003, 03:23 PM
i live within walking distance from fenway, and not really looking to commute to a gym (gotta be there and back in 1.5 hours). i think the one across from uno's is city gym, which is probably just as bad as that gold's... plus golds makes you prepay for a year :rolleyes: so it looks like im there to stay for a while. but i'll complain about it the whole time :cool:

Scott S
09-25-2003, 03:15 PM
They should disenfranchise any "Gold's Gym" that doesn't let BBers (or PLers) do their thing. I mean, come on, they started as a BBer gym for crying out loud!!

Scott S
09-25-2003, 03:15 PM
They should disenfranchise any "Gold's Gym" that doesn't let BBers (or PLers) do their thing. I mean, come on, they started as a BBer gym for crying out loud!!

unshift
09-26-2003, 03:51 PM
ok, i used chalk today and nobody complained :ninja:

it sure does make a difference. no more slippery hands... glad i got some. thanks for the replies everyone