PDA

View Full Version : 4 day refeed...maybe more!!

greekboy80
09-21-2003, 12:26 PM
yeah i know it sounds a little wack but i have no controll over it. that damn isabella has got me couped up in my moms house. we're lucky...we have power. unlike the millions who dont. but anyways cant follow a keto/low cal diet if stranded at moms house. so im on a 4 day plus refeed. i feel like im getting fat!@!!!! but i know its prob just all in my mind. jsut waiting for power at my apt. so i can get back to my cutting phase. is this going to hinder my weight loss alot? or should i not really worry about it?

defcon
09-21-2003, 03:32 PM
just dont eat alot of bad stuff because your saying your on a "refeed" im sur your mother has some decent food there.. and you can still keep a decent calorie track just don't lte it get to be above maintanice....

bradley
09-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by greekboy80
is this going to hinder my weight loss alot? or should i not really worry about it?

If you take in an excess amount of calories, then you will gain weight. While I agree that de novo lipogenesis does not contribute much to fat gain in humans, but there comes a point where you will gain fat from excess amounts of carbs.

Just follow a balanced diet at approximately the same calorie intake as you were when performing the keto diet. You will see some water weight gain, but fat gain should be minimal if you stay within your maintenance calorie intake.

Although a few days of eating a little over maintenance are not going to matter in the long run, but a four day refeed would be a little extreme IMO.

greekboy80
09-23-2003, 11:20 AM
it was'nt a 4 day refeed, more like an 4 day carb feed. and i still have no power and cannot cook any food. i was just worried that too many carbs for many days would cause weight gain.

because i have no power would it be advised that i would not go keto(given the power comes back on) for about 4 days then go back to carb load during the weekend. should i just go back on keto next monday and eat normal(iso cal) through the weekend?

bradley
09-23-2003, 01:02 PM
it was'nt a 4 day refeed, more like an 4 day carb feed. and i still have no power and cannot cook any food. i was just worried that too many carbs for many days would cause weight gain.

Too many calories for too many days will cause weight gain.:)

because i have no power would it be advised that i would not go keto(given the power comes back on) for about 4 days then go back to carb load during the weekend. should i just go back on keto next monday and eat normal(iso cal) through the weekend?

If you have been eating carbs for the past 4 days, then I see no reason to carb load again. The only reason that you might need to refeed/carb load would be if you were still eating under maintenance during the past 4 days and leptin levels were low. This would depend on bf% etc., but carb loading to replenish glycogen levels would not serve any purpose when glycogen stores are already full.

It is really up to you as to whether or not you want to go back into ketosis now or later.

harryhoudini66
09-23-2003, 01:52 PM
My weight increases by 10 pounds when I carbo load for 1 1/2 days. I am sure yours will go up way more since you are doing it for 4 days.

Off topic, how has Technogeeky being doing? He has not posted in a while and I know he really wanted to lose weight.

greekboy80
09-23-2003, 04:50 PM
i only usually gain about 2-5lbs wheni refeed/carb load. houdini - are your refeeds clean? that seems to be a lot of weight gain. so brad, you suggest to just eat a normal diet this week and keep it low calorie, then next monday get back into my keto routine with out a refeed this weekend?

bradley
09-23-2003, 04:56 PM
so brad, you suggest to just eat a normal diet this week and keep it low calorie, then next monday get back into my keto routine with out a refeed this weekend?

:nod:

greekboy80
09-23-2003, 05:53 PM
cool, thanks brad.

harryhoudini66
09-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Yes, not sure how clean but I eat.

Pancakes, Spagethtti, Bread, Cereal, Potatoes. I end up dropping the weight I gained by the second day back on my Keto diet though. I am guessing I end up eating about 3500-4000 calories on Saturday.

AJ_11
09-24-2003, 11:42 PM
Just so you know that a controlled refeed with alot of calories can be a good thing, as far as restore leptin level. My last 4 day refeed I gain over 25llbs (water, glycogen) mind you I was packing at least 1500g carbs and almost 10,000 calories and being only 170llbs that a whole lot of food. Well the end result was, I lost all the added weight withing the next 4 days and then I weighed 2 pounds lower than I did when I started.

Usually during refeeds, I tend to put on 10llbs if they only last a few hours but noticed the weight come off sooner.

I would say if you are going to eat under maintence stick to your regular diet, but if you are going to eat a bit above maintence treat it as a refeed and make it clean( Avoid fructose/Fat), it will be better for you mind and your body in the end.

bradley
09-25-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Just so you know that a controlled refeed with alot of calories can be a good thing, as far as restore leptin level. My last 4 day refeed I gain over 25llbs (water, glycogen) mind you I was packing at least 1500g carbs and almost 10,000 calories and being only 170llbs that a whole lot of food. Well the end result was, I lost all the added weight withing the next 4 days and then I weighed 2 pounds lower than I did when I started.

I really don't see the benefit in refeeding for 4 days and according to the study below de novo lipogenesis can contribute to fat gain once glygogen stores become saturated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3165600&dopt=Abstract

AJ_11
09-25-2003, 04:26 AM
Actually IMO, you want a little spilling over to fat, tells your body your not dieting. That is from personal experience. Everytime I took it easy on refeeds I find that I stall sooner. But when I overfeed I find that I may have more ot lose but it comes off more rapidley and last longer.

bradley
09-25-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Actually IMO, you want a little spilling over to fat, tells your body your not dieting. That is from personal experience. Everytime I took it easy on refeeds I find that I stall sooner. But when I overfeed I find that I may have more ot lose but it comes off more rapidley and last longer.

Yes, a little spillover is the purpose of the refeed, but refeeding for 4 days will more than likely cause substantial spillover.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3165600&dopt=Abstract
"When the glycogen stores are saturated, massive intakes of carbohydrate are disposed of by high carbohydrate-oxidation rates and substantial de novo lipid synthesis (150 g lipid/d using approximately 475 g CHO/d) without postabsorptive hyperglycemia."

I would call a 150g of fat per day more than a little spillover, and that is at 475g of carbs per day.

I agree that the shorter the refeed the more frequently they will have to be performed.