PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Breast Nutrion Info

donescobar2000
09-21-2003, 01:18 PM
For the last couple of months I have been purchasing Chicken from the supermarket. On occasion I get two different brands. I either get the store brand or the Tyson brand. Both of them say 1 gram of fat. My question is though are nutrition labels accurate on the fat content.=? I notice sometimes that other brands say 1 gram of fat i.e the store brand and it has visible fat. One I remove all of it all no fat is visible. The Tyson brand has no visible fat. Should we really trust the labels?

body
09-21-2003, 02:10 PM
i trust labels to a degree.

but then i know the process of how nutritional information is done by the major supermarkets in the UK.

with product that i have developed.
we send off between 6-24 samples from a trial. these are anaylsed.
if they come back to wrong. I argue with the lab.

thats basically how the labels are done.

occoinsaly there are mistakes that do not get noticed.

there are various reason why if you test a product later it can differ from original product

1) seasonal variation
2) batch varaition
3) you can't control how fat the chickens get
4) human error in making product.

quite a few other reason as well.

AllUp
09-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Yes, Not to mention what they are fed. I would imagine that some may actually be fed more Steroid/Growth formula than others as well as eat more often, come from different locations, activity levels, etc.

Saint Patrick
09-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by AllUp
Yes, Not to mention what they are fed. I would imagine that some may actually be fed more Steroid/Growth formula than others as well as eat more often, come from different locations, activity levels, etc.

That's a good point, but here's my question - if we're eating chicken that's pumped full of steroids and GH, is that really a bad thing? Wouldn't it benefit someone interested in muscle growth?

bradley
09-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by AllUp

There are no hormones used when growing chickens, in the U.S. anyway.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index/consumer/hormones.htm

bradley
09-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick

That's a good point, but here's my question - if we're eating chicken that's pumped full of steroids and GH, is that really a bad thing? Wouldn't it benefit someone interested in muscle growth?

The amount of hormones that are contained in various foods probably would not amount to much, and would not have a significant affect on humans.

body
09-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by bradley

The amount of hormones that are contained in various foods probably would not amount to much, and would not have a significant affect on humans.

well not in a postive way anyway.

there are reports form holland i think that used to allow hormones(may still do), that babies who had chicken where getting gyno or some other problem.

not sure if it had any credible evidence to back this up.