PDA

View Full Version : Whats my BF% and should I cut?

TheGimp
09-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Well my scale says 16.0%, callipers say 18.5ish%

Here's a link to my last pics: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32949

I've gained 13lbs since then, judging from my BF measurements I think I should be cutting but I can't see much (any??) difference so I'm not really sure what to do...

WillKuenzel
09-22-2003, 11:18 AM
How much do you weigh? Personally I'd say keep bulking but I hate cutting so I'm a bit biased. ;)

TheGimp
09-22-2003, 11:30 AM
143, but I'm only 5' 5"

vocalmaster
09-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Keep gaining muscle just keep an eye on your diet. Don't cut. I can't see where that would be the best way to go at this point. Don't forget you can change your BF% by gaining lean mass, not just by losing the fat.

TheGimp
09-23-2003, 02:01 AM
The problem is, according to my scale of those 13 lbs about 7 were fat and 6 were nonfat, when you factor in how many of those 6 nonfat lbs were water retention... I'm worried if I were to cut I'd end up just having gained fat! Perhaps I should continue to bulk with some HIIT cardio?

vocalmaster
09-23-2003, 08:51 AM
What is your diet and workout routine like?

TheGimp
09-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Right. Routine is as follows, 2 sets of each, 8 reps

Back and chest:
Barbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Fly
Dumbbell Lying Row
Barbell Pullover
Barbell Shrug
Sumo Deadlift

Legs and abs:
Barbell Straight Leg Deadlift
Lever Leg Extension
Lever Lying Leg Curl
Barbell Good-morning
Dumbbell Lunge
Weighted Twisting Crunch

Bis Tris and shoulders:
Barbell Behind Neck Press
Barbell Reverse Curl
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Dumbbell Upright Row
Barbell Row (to neck with elbows out)
Dumbbell One Arm Triceps Extension
Dumbbell Curl

You might notice some weird exercises in there, mainly due to the range of equipment available to me.

As far as diet is concerned, I'm vegetarian and I don't eat the same foods day in day out, with that in mind here's what I ate yesterday:

Meal 1:
Bread (with soy flour + linseed) 200 cals 12.6 pro
Seitan slices 244 26.4 (Seitan is basically pure wheat gluten, the soy flour in the bread which has extra lysine should make this a high quality protein)
444 39

Meal 2:
Quorn Burgers 157 17.8 (Quorn is a high quality protein from a blend of wheat, pea and milk proteins, mycoprotein and egg)
Reduced fat oven fries 266 4.6
423 22.4

Meal 3:
Mung Bean Noodles 341 15.9
Quorn Pieces 206 28
547 43.9

Meal 4:
Yoghurt (full fat!) 545 21

Meal 5:
Quorn Burgers 157 17.8
Whole Wheat Pitta Bread 274 7.6
431 25.4

Total: 2390 cals 151.7g pro. Before bed I had a protein shake (blend of caesin, whey and egg white) mixed with water and enough flax oil to take me up to about 2500 cals.

Personally I'm struck by the lack of good fats. Like I said my diet is quite variable, but I generally have one meal a day involving olive oil. I've also been slacking off on eating my natty pb. On workout days I have a pre-workout and post-workout shake made from the caesin/whey/eggwhite blend including some dextrose and creatine. I appreciate that the caesin in the postworkout shake is probably a bad idea, but figure the pre-workout shake should help with things.

Crystallio
09-23-2003, 12:05 PM
I'd recommend you keep bulking. You don't look overweight in that pic, and if you go with a slow bulk, you should put on more muscle than fat which will actually make your bf% drop as you grow. I've been doing a slow bulk for a couple of weeks now, and I look leaner than when I started even though I'm a few pounds bigger.

vocalmaster
09-23-2003, 04:33 PM
Well, I would suggest you add squats to your routine and I would increase sets to 3, maybe 4 especially on the large body parts. I would change out some of the dumbell exercises, like dumbell rows for back to bent over barbell rows. How long have you been lifting? It takes time and patience to grow new muscle.

Perhaps someone who is more of a dietician could evaluate your diet. Maybe you're taking in too many calories for a guy your size. At 5'5" 143lbs, 2390 calories sounds a bit steep but I may be wrong. I'm twice your size and I don't take in that many calories a day and I gain muscle. Perhaps you should monitor that more closely and cut back and see how your gains go.

TheGimp
09-24-2003, 03:10 AM
Didn't have squats because I was bored of them, had them in my routine in the past and got them in my new one.

The routine was based *loosely* on one of the WBB routines, all of which use 2 sets. There's not much benefit to be gained from 3 sets as opposed to 2. The number of dumbell exercises is because I have previously been using the barbell versions and felt like trying something new. That routine lasted for about 10 weeks, prior to that I think I'd been lifting properly for 8 weeks, and improperly for about 3 months.

2500 is maintenance, not for bulking :) Towards the end of my bulk I was on 3000 calories, as I wasn't putting weight on at 2500.

vocalmaster
09-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Well, the question I'm left with is if 2,500 cals is for maintenance and you're gaining unwanted fat, then why is that happening? Just my opinion but I think you may gain weight easier than you think, if you're gaining that much fat on 2,500 cals a day. That just seems to stand to reason to me.

On the sets, I'm going by how I started out and my training partner and I always did 3 - 4 sets per exercise when we first began. We never heard of only doing 2 sets, in all the years we lifted. If I remember right, even Mentzer did 3 sets. So, if you're really getting it on in those 2 sets, then so be it. That's just a personal opinion of mine and something suggested to try. I'm a firm believer in listening to your body and going by what seems to work for you. Everyone's different. I hope you're able to find out what's holding up your progress.

latinomasfino
03-23-2004, 09:41 AM
dude u need to eat more and start doing low reps

TheGimp
03-23-2004, 09:58 AM
You've brought this thread back from the dead :)

I consider myself far more educated than I was at the stage when I wrote this. I am currently in the middle of a 14 week bulk where I am aiming to put on a stone. You can read more about it in my journal (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=38904).