PDA

View Full Version : Some EFA Questions

Leviathan
09-22-2003, 05:54 PM
I just went out and bought a new supply of EFAs. I found Twinlab's 'Mega Twin EPA' Fish Oil softgels with EPA/DHA amounts of 600mg/240mg per softgel, and I plan to take 2 softgels/day. I also picked up Udo's Oil Blend (since almost all of my dietary fat comes from these two sources - although some also comes from almonds - I felt I needed some Omega 6's and 9's in my diet). I plan on taking 2 tablespoons of this per day.

My questions are two-fold. Does this look like a good plan? Are there any suggestions for changing this around to make it cheaper (ends up being about $33/month).

Spartacus
09-22-2003, 06:28 PM
just eat more almonds or peanuts for the 6 and 9s instead of udos

bradley
09-23-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Leviathan
My questions are two-fold. Does this look like a good plan? Are there any suggestions for changing this around to make it cheaper (ends up being about $33/month).

Unless you are getting no fat from whole food, I really do not see any need to worry about getting enough omega-6 fats in your diet. You should be taking in ~25% of your cals from fat, which should provide enough n-6 fatty acids.

Omega-9 fatty acids are not essential to the body. Although a tablespoon or two of olive oil (contains omega 9s) is a good way to add fat to your diet, without disturbing the ratio of n-6 to n-3 fatty acids.

I really do not see any point in supplementing with Udo's, due to the fact that the n-3 fats are derived from flaxseed oil and most people take in enough n-6 fats through their diet. If you want to save some money, just supplement with fish oil and throw in a few tablespoons of olive oil, which will help boost your overall fat intake. Include some natural peanut butter, nuts, etc., as mentioned by another member.

The Twinlab n-3 supplement sounds like it would work fine, but there are other less expensive fish oil supplements that would work just as well.

Leviathan
09-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll move some things around and see what happens.

I've also noticed that the fish oil has 12mg cholesterol per softgel. Is this something to worry about?

Also, is there any difference between straight fish oil and cod liver oil? I've used cod liver oil in the past, but I was wondering if one is superior to the other.

bradley
09-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Leviathan
I've also noticed that the fish oil has 12mg cholesterol per softgel. Is this something to worry about?

The cholesterol itself is not a problem, but I would make sure that the caps have been molecularly distilled which would ensure that the oil did not contain any pollutants (mercury, etc.)

Also, is there any difference between straight fish oil and cod liver oil? I've used cod liver oil in the past, but I was wondering if one is superior to the other.

Cod liver oil contains high amounts of Vit A and D, and is usually lower in EPA/DHA content, as compared to fish oil.