PDA

View Full Version : I dire need for help...Computer question..

carpediemguy
09-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Trying to clean up the disk, I mistakenly deleted the Microsoft Outlook Express email and I dont know how to reconfigurate my email ..

I tried to call the COMPAQ people but they were so bussy with some email virus and couldnt talk with anyone live.

I have a COMPAQ PRESARIo 5000 and I use Window XP..
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

CBates
09-23-2003, 11:30 AM
Try using this http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/setup.asp

but you may need to contact your ISP to get the name of your email server to connect to it.

carpediemguy
09-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by CBates
Try using this http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/setup.asp

but you may need to contact your ISP to get the name of your email server to connect to it.

But I cannot even open the Outlook Express as it has been totally deleted...

I was wondering if there are any drivers that I could download ...

CBates
09-23-2003, 11:53 AM
OK, I thought you meant you just needed help setting it up, not installing. Try to install it by doing into control panel, add or remove program, add/remove windows components and try to see if it's in there.

CBates
09-23-2003, 11:54 AM
also try this link http://www.windows-help.info/xp_reinstalloe6.htm

harryhoudini66
09-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah, add remove should do it. You still might need to contact your ISP to get the incomming and outgoing mail server names.

carpediemguy
09-23-2003, 12:43 PM
also try this link http://www.windows-help.info/xp_reinstalloe6.htm

My problem is that I dont have Windows XP/2000 CD-ROM as my comp came with window xp built it ....

Is there any other way around to install Outlook Express id I dont have teh cd-rom?

Thanks for your help

harryhoudini66
09-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Go to Microsofts website and redownload it. Also, I know sometimes you get asked for the CD, but you may not need it to add Outlook Express. Outlook Express comes bundled with IE.

CBates
09-23-2003, 01:44 PM
did you try to reinstall from add or remove program properties? if you did and that didn't work, then you can do what harryhoudini66 suggested, download and reinstall IE 6 and it will put Outlook Express back on the system.

carpediemguy
09-23-2003, 10:00 PM
did you try to reinstall from add or remove program properties? if you did and that didn't work, then you can do what harryhoudini66 suggested, download and reinstall IE 6 and it will put Outlook Express back on the system.

I try to download IE but I get this message"A previous instalation worjk requiring a reboot. You need restart to cpmple that instalation before runnin IE setup"...

I did reboot but to no avail as I keep getting the same message...I am getting really frustrated..

Please advise.
Thanks

CBates
09-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Umm, one last thing I can suggest trying is using a restore point to prior the problems began. Go to start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore OR start->run->msconfig->systme restore. Choose a date prior to when you had problems if you have a restore point set and hope that fixes it. If not, you're probably looking at running your recovery or quick restore CD's. I know you said ealier in the post that XP came on the hard drive, and that's right, but your system should have came with a compaq recovery disc or a double disc quick restore set. If your system didn't come with that (like if you purchased an open box unit or something) you may want to call microsoft for support. Wish I could be help, but I'm more of a hardware tech than a software one, so most of my experience comes from hardware.

carpediemguy
09-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Umm, one last thing I can suggest trying is using a restore point to prior the problems began. Go to start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore OR start->run->msconfig->systme restore. Choose a date prior to when you had problems if you have a restore point set and hope that fixes it. If not, you're probably looking at running your recovery or quick restore CD's. I know you said ealier in the post that XP came on the hard drive, and that's right, but your system should have came with a compaq recovery disc or a double disc quick restore set. If your system didn't come with that (like if you purchased an open box unit or something) you may want to call microsoft for support. Wish I could be help, but I'm more of a hardware tech than a software one, so most of my experience comes from hardware.

Thanks a bunch, man...The restore point it did work indeed.

I really didnt want to use the recovery CD as I could have lost all my previous data....

Any idea why I couldnt download the IE?

The restore point did wonders...I just learned something that could be very useful inthe future..

Does the restore feature comes only with window XP?

How far back could one go to restore his PC?

Once again, THANK YOU!

Very helpful of you!

CBates
09-24-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure why the download and reinstallation of IE didn't work, that's the first time I've ever seen that message come up while trying to install it. Maybe you possibly would have to uninstall IE first? The restore point I think became first available with ME, but was a little flaky, XP seemed to work out all the bugs ME had with it. The restore will keep a certian amount of restore points until your MB limit is reached (I forgot off the top of my head what the default setting is) and then it will start erasing the older ones first to make room for the newer ones, so you should still have them up for around 3-5 months ago maybe? I'm glad I could help.