PDA

View Full Version : How Diana Got Her Groove Back

Pages : 1 2 [3]

YoBrickWall
02-07-2004, 06:55 PM
yo xraygirl- glad your posting again. i get alot of women thatll ask questions on ther workouts. maybe i can use yours as a guide line or get your opinion for them.
nice leg session.

YBW

Isaac Wilkins
02-07-2004, 07:15 PM
:clap:

Back to work, you!

:whip:

xraygirl
02-07-2004, 09:53 PM
YBW - Thanks and welcome to my journal :hello:
Borris - Thanks for the encouragement. ;)

WillKuenzel
02-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Don't go getting slack again either! :D

xraygirl
02-08-2004, 08:44 AM
:swear:

xraygirl
02-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Worked out shoulders and arms at home on Sunday. I only have 8, 10 & 15# dumbells.
2x15 on everything
DB Lateral Raises-8#
Overhead DB Press-15#
Rear Delt-8#
Standing DB Bicep Curl-10#
Concentration Curl-10#
DB Overhead Extension-10#
Kickbacks-10#

I need to go up on everything. Will be hitting the weightroom before work starting tomorrow. Will be working chest & back. Hoping to have a decent bench press because the squadron is having a competition soon and they want me to participate :eek: I told them not to hold their breath.

Cardio: still out
Diet: diet, schmiet
Sleep: yep
Attitude: still have it

Tunage: still listening to the Beautiful Garbage CD.

'dat's all folks!

YoBrickWall
02-11-2004, 11:07 AM
yo xraygirl- you go girl.kick ass at the competition

YBW

neartaigh
02-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey xray-
Thanks for swinging thru the new journal. I don`t know why everyone hates the silkie image so much. Have you ever seen a seal?? Man, those things are just one solid piece of slippery muscle. (Uh oh, that sounded a little raw...oops.)

Anyway, glad to see other PA area women on the board. Looking around my gym, I kinda wondered if I was the only one. :)

-NT

Isaac Wilkins
02-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Dear Mother of Holy Goodness, I could have sworn I saw an xraygirl post...

:angel:

xraygirl
02-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Hi NT. I actually just moved here in the beginning of Nov. Retired from the Air Force and have been getting settled. Of course Meadville is not likely to be confused with a thriving metropolis :cry: (I'm having withdrawls) but it is about 45 min from Erie, so I'll live.
Haven't been here in ages because I was too depressed about being unable to work out. Jacked up back. But I'm glad to see all the new females that are serious about lifting. Welcome aboard.

Diana

Pup
02-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Whoa...long time no see Diana.

How's it feel to be retired?

ectx
02-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Dang girl! Long time no see! Glad you're back. So where are you living now?

xraygirl
02-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Broke. Oh, and did I mention, unemployed? Really, it's been a nice break but I'm ready to go back to work. Wrote a resume last week and am dropping it off at a few medical facilities tomorrow.
Starting working out again a few weeks ago but heavy squats are out forever and I kind of have to work out around back pain etc... Thank goodness for muscle memory ;) Except my calves which do have alzhiemers.

xraygirl
02-09-2005, 07:18 PM
EC, I'm in a place called Meadville. It's in NW Pennsylvania and my house is literally out in the middle of nowhere. Of course the snow is a drag. Some people love it. Told the hubby that after the kids graduate from HS, I'm moving to Australia as soon as it hits 50 degrees and not coming back till April. He thinks I'm joking :rolleyes:

Isaac Wilkins
03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
:D

Bizump.

Hatred
03-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Weird.everyone who views this thread posts in it.

DoUgL@S
03-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Australia. :D

ectx
03-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Good to hear you're back...bad to hear about the snow. Now hurry up and update this thing....cabrona!

xraygirl
03-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Hello all
y no so cabrona!

Don't blame me for the name of this journal *significant look at Borris*
Some of you may have already noticed that this is a compilation of all my journals. It's pretty yawn-worthy, but it's my yawn-worthy journal. Besides, it has what I need to work back up to. Spent the majority of last year out of the gym due to back problems, knee problems, a trap strain that required regular shots of lidocaine, and my job. The job is a thing of the past because I retired from the AF effective 1 Jan. Had an interview at Hamot Medical Center today and will hopefully hear from them within the next few days. This is good because I need the $$$ buy some weights. Right now, I'm working out using a combination of dumbells and isotension. Oh, and the dumbells are waaay too light. It's driving me nuts :mad: Needless to say, my first purchase will be some heavier dumbells and an olympic BB set. A squat rack too :D
I had a long post with my last 3 workouts on it and this stupid computer locked up on me. So here's update...take 2

Sunday, 20 Mar 05-Chest, Back & Calves
2x15 of the following
DB Bench-15#, Flat Flyes-15#, DB Pullovers-20#, Single-Arm Rows-15#
Managed 2 sets of lat pulldowns by wrapping some resistance bands around one of the wood posts in my basement. Don't know the resistance but it's the only exercise out of this bunch that I really felt.
3x15 seated and standing calve raises

Monday, 21 Mar 05-Shoulder's, Bi's & Tri's
2x15 of the following
Shoulders-Arnold Presses 15#, Lateral Raises 8#, Delt Flyes 5#
Biceps-Hammer Curls 10# (yawn), concentration curls 10#
Triceps-Skull Crushers 10# in each hand, Single-arm Overhead press 10#

Tues, 22 Mar 05-Legs, Glutes
3x15 of all...
Walking lunges warm up 10# in each hand
Squats 15# per hand
Gorsha Lunges (aka, bench squats) no weight because I'm learning the movement
SLDL the 15#'s again (McYawn)
DB Leg Ext & Leg curls (15# db between the feet)

Cardio
Yep, daily. For at least 30 minutes. Builds character.

Diet
Let's just say that I've seriously buckled down. Calorie counting and the works. It's a training ground for an obsessive-compulsive disorder. But I realize that some people (like my husband) can eat whatever, whenever, do minimal exercise and get lean (think ectomorph/mesomorph combo) but I will never be one of those people. It sucks but that's just the way it is. So while my family can have biscuits with their roast chicken, I have a plain salad. On the upside, I do put on muscle easily and can do so even when I'm cutting. So I'll be back up to speed as soon as I can get some decent weights to lift and some mental space.

That's it for now. xraygirl out.

KiwiBuilder
03-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Weird.everyone who views this thread posts in it.

Not true!

D'oh...

xraygirl
03-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Wed, 23 Mar 05-Chest, Back & Calves
3x15 of everything...
DB Bench-20# Flyes-15#
Pullovers-30#
Single-arm Rows-20# Lat Pulldowns-??? I used the high resistance and the low resistance band together. Whatever poundage that would approximate.
Seated Calves-both 20# DB's Standing Calves-1 20# DB
Did more crunches than I could count because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Cardio
Did something called IMAX which is translated as "what the hell was I thinking doing this the day after leg day!" If anyone has seen Cathe Friedrich on FitTV, you know what I mean. It was one long, painful hour. I needed 2 showers afterwards.

Diet
Was almost 400 calories low yesterday. Not a good thing so I actually upped my dinner calories tonight. I'm still low though. May eat a banana and some almonds later just to keep the ole metabolism guessing.

[Ramblings of an imperfect mind
Broke down and bought a pair of 20# DB's. Also found the 30#'s in the garage. Now all I need for the next couple of months are a pair of 25's.
I actually have a plan as soon as I get back up to speed and that is to alternate slow and heavy days. Oh, and no Cathe Friedrich after leg day :( That truly sucked but I am a woman on a mission.
Had a Borris-post-arnold-style epiphany a couple of weeks ago. My problem is that I gain weight evenly I don't really notice weight gain until I can't fit in my clothes so I unearthed the swimsuit and had McSpouse take some befores. Gad! My first thought was "harpoon me or throw me back into the ocean!" then I took a therapeutic breath and came to my senses. It's not as bad as I thought since I had been working out anyway but it was still a humbling experience :(
That's it for now. Shoulders and arms tomorrow. No cardio. My knees need a break.

xraygirl out
addendum: The new Garbage CD is in the stores 11 Apr! It's about time!

Isaac Wilkins
03-23-2005, 05:21 PM
And the new Mudvayne disc on April 12th!

Yay!

Hatred
03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
DAmn...um'

:hello:

LOL@ MCSpouse™

xraygirl
03-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Borris-I noticed the Hank on your playlist yesterday. You have Johnny Cash on there too? I could actually see Folsom Prison from where I lived when I was a teenager. My Step-dad used to tell us he was going to throw my sisters and me over the fence. :eek: Whadda guy :rolleyes:

Nevermore-Mr. Xraygirl doesn't quite resonate and I have to refer to something other than "control-freak." So McSpouse it is...

Senor Molina & Kiwi BB- Thanks for visiting :D

Focused70
03-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Hobbit Food Pr0nography

http://img37.exs.cx/img37/8032/spam13kv.jpg

:)

Stash

xraygirl
03-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Ack! My virgin eyes!

DoUgL@S
03-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Just close your eyes when you eat it. :D

xraygirl
03-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Heh :D

Didn't work out on Thursday because life got in the way. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I felt much better yesterday.

Friday, 25 Mar 05-Shoulders & Arms
3x15 of everything. The ones with a *beside them are broken sets. But I was determined to knock out all of the reps without having to go down in weight.

Shoulders
Lateral Raise @ 8#, *DB Overhead Press @ 15#, *Rear Delt Flyes @ 8#
The lateral raises don't feel right with dumbells. I much prefer to use cables.

Biceps
DB Curls @ 10#, Concentration Curls @ 10#
I need 12# DB's for these but don't have any.

Triceps
Bench Dips, Behind Head Press @ 10, DB Kickbacks @ 10
Same as above. I need 12# DB's

Cardio
Yep, 40 minutes worth. Can't wait until the rest of the snow melts and the ground dries up so I can get some outdoor exercise.

Diet
Was seriously low on Thursday and about 300 cal high yesterday so I guess it balances out. Next week, I'm going to focus on cutting the amount of Diet Coke that I drink. It's only about 2 a day but it's time for it go.

Miscellaneous Blathering
I'm still unemployed. That is all...

xraygirl out

xraygirl
05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Could one of you fine moderators please be a doll and change the name of this thing to "How Diana Got Her Groove Back"
Mucha gracias

Barbell Bench Press-
All sets @ 75# 8/7/8 reps
Flat Flyes
12@20#, 8/10@25
Sorry ass excuse for attempted dips
5x10 I will conquer these

Lat Pull-Downs
12@60, 9/8 @ 65
Seated Rows
10@30, 8/6@35
Sorry ass excuse for attempted pull-ups
5x10 I will conquer these too.

Pullovers
All sets w/ a 30# DB 12/10/10

Mindless Drivel
Note to self: get some 35# DB's
Actually started lifting again at the end of last year. Had an addition put on the house and now have a bonafide gym. Will post a pic when I get a chance. The only thing missing is a piece of cardio equipment.
As you can all see, I've gotten weak but it's slowly changing. Of course, if I would just stick with a set program for more than a week, I would probably be making better progress. This one looks like a keeper. Just can't do any squats until my injured (L) knee is better (hurt it at work about 2 or 3 weeks ago).
Hubby still not so supportive about my lifting. That's ultimately what makes it hard for me to stay on track. If I start developing some good muscle, he finds a hundred projects around the house to keep me too busy to lift. Gonna start getting up at 4 to nip that crap in the bud. Also planning to get a real StairMaster in the hopefully near future.

On 'da Pod
Downloaded the new Maroon5 CD this morning. It's okay. I was in a crappy mood because of my knee when I listened to is so I'll give it another listen later on.

Rock Steady
05-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Welcome back. I wasn't even a member the last time you posted in your journal!!

WestsideWarrior
05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Welcome back.

I have a feeling this is gonna be a great journal so I'm gonna follow along with everyone else.

You don't need carido equipment, just go run outside, unless you don't wanna mess up yo weave.

And your hubby's not supportive because he's scared your gonna end up bench pressing him while "working out". But dang, 4am? Ouch.

Welcome back and good luck.

WillKuenzel
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Welcome back! Try to keep things updated this time around. :p

xraygirl
05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome back everyone.
Rock Steady & Westside Warrior-Pleased to meetcha
Wilma-:swear:
I'm still trying to figure out how strong I am. Outgrew the 30#db's that's why I did the BB bench today. Tomorrow will be shoulders & arms. May throw some light deads in there just to see if they aggravate the ol' knee. If not I'll be happy. Will try to run after I make dinner for the family

Thanks,
D.

xraygirl
05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Wednesday, 23 May '07-Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps

Shoulders-
DB Overhead Press Felt pretty good. Might try 25# @ fewer reps next time
10/8/8 @ 20#
DB Lateral Raises Never did like this exercise but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Prolly will go up on these too.
10/8/10 @ 10#
Reverse Flyes Ditto the above.
10/10/10 @ 10#

Biceps-
Incline Curls This is a new exercise for me. I read an article a couple of weeks ago about them and so I tried it out. It's a keeper.
6/6/6 :eek: @ 15#
Concentration Curls meh
10/10 @ 12# Got bored & went up 6 @ 15#

Triceps-
Overhead presses w/ EZ curl bar The bar weighs 15# Definitely need to go up on this.
10/10/10 @ 30#

Rope Pressdowns Bought the rope 2 weeks ago instead of the 35# DB's that I needed less.
Tried 25# and could barely knock out 3 reps. Ate some humble pie then took 5# off the machine 10 @ 20# That was too easy. Added 2.5# then did 8/8 @ 22.5#

Braindroppings-Overall, not a bad workout. I'm stronger than I thought I was but still too weak by my standards.
Tried to run last night. My knee survived :clap: Gonna save the deads for tomorrow.
Westside, as for the 4am workouts, I used to do them all the time. Just got out of the habit. You're also right about the hubby being intimidated by the muscle. He does not like grabbing my arm and it not being soft. Some women are happy that way, I'm not. Dems da breaks ;)

On 'da Pod-Rocket Science, The Pimps

xraygirl, out

WillKuenzel
05-23-2007, 09:07 AM
My wife isn't thrilled about my workout habits either. She likes me about 20lbs ago. It's just one of those things. She doesn't like it but she at least tolerates it. Just keep plugging along. He'll eventually like it or he'll forget about it. Glad to see some consistency. Just don't get burned out with the early morning workouts.

Sidior
05-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Never been in here before, but best of luck with your goals.

xraygirl
05-23-2007, 10:02 AM
My wife isn't thrilled about my workout habits either. She likes me about 20lbs ago. It's just one of those things. She doesn't like it but she at least tolerates it. Just keep plugging along. He'll eventually like it or he'll forget about it. Glad to see some consistency. Just don't get burned out with the early morning workouts.
He doesn't adjust. He bitches like a girl until he gets his way. I usually give in just to shut him up but then I start to feel like garbage because I'm not lifting. He'll bitch about my getting up at 4 too. Oh well :rolleyes:

Never been in here before, but best of luck with your goals.
Thanks for dropping in Sidior :hello:

Oh...goals! Done forgot about posting that
Right now, to become stronger. I want to be able to squat & DL with at least a 45# plate on each side of the bar.
Then eventually to strip off some of this fat. It's not attractive and it's gotta go.

'dat's it for now..

Diana

xraygirl
05-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Thursday, 24 May '07-Sorry excuse for leg day

As some you already know, ole girl is having knee issues so squats are out for the time being. So I popped 95# on my shoulders and did 90 second static holds 3x. I'm soooo weak :(

Deads-I could do them :clap: did 3x8@85 & for S&G's threw on another 10# and whipped out 5@95

Did some variations on a theme of crunches just to feel like I got a somewhat complete workout :rolleyes:

Blatherings-Did I mention that I'm weak? :cry: But my ATF squats are going to have to be perfected before I throw too much weight on the bar. And my knee has to heal before I do that. Gotta keep the big picture in mind. But I'm the poster child for self-flaggelation so keeping on track can be difficult for me. So in the hope that this will help, I'm gonna do a goal poster! Just have to figure out what to put on it. Other than winning the next powerball and my ugly mug photoshopped on a fitter body.

Gonna go for a walk since running is out...

On 'da Pod-Umbrella-Rihanna (downloaded it this am):dj:

getfit
05-24-2007, 08:57 AM
I read your journal awhile ago and enjoyed the stories and workouts ofcourse ;)

Good Luck with everything :)

xraygirl
05-24-2007, 08:59 AM
:hello: Thanks. I've been reading yours too.

WillKuenzel
05-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Diana, what happened to your knee? Does it hurt to move it or is it the squatting motion that bothers it?

There are some tips that I give people that really seem to help. I have bad tendinitis in both my knees that makes squatting almost unbearable unless I do it perfectly. I don't want to give you false hope though if it's something else.

xraygirl
05-24-2007, 02:46 PM
I hurt it at work. The drive assist on a portable x-ray machine died while I was rounding a corner with it. The machine stopped cold but my knee didn't. Torked it way out. Was in a hard brace for a little while. Now I'm sporting a neoprene number. It's pretty much all better now but the dr doesn't want to take any chances so no squats until my follow-up appt next week.
It's very frustrating because I pretty much had this whole week planned out to really rev up my training and this has thrown a giant monkey-wrench in it.
But, there you have it.

D.

WillKuenzel
05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
One thing I always mention is for people to squat in flat soled shoes. If you squat in tennis shoes or running shoes, the heel padding props up the foot and forces your bodyweight up on your toes. This pushes the weight away from the hips and onto your knees. This pressure just isn't a good thing. One other thing that seems to help is to point your toes up in your shoes so your toes aren't touching the ground. This forces you to sit back more on the heels. When the weight distribution shifts back it moves the pressure away from the knees and back into the hips. The hips being a bigger, stronger joint can take more of the pressure, not to mention that now your hamstrings and glutes are more involved so generally more weight can be lifted. Which is always a good thing. Just make sure that you sit your hips back and keep your butt pointed up to the ceiling to help make sure that your lower back doesn't round down, letting the hips curl under. That's why box squats are so popular. They force you to sit back and generally prevent the hips from rounding under, hopefully, keeping less stress off the lower back.

Hope this helps a little bit when you do get back to squatting. Good luck and take it easy. The knees are something to mess around and rush.

xraygirl
05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
I have a pair of otomix lifting shoes I use on squat/dead day only. Do plan on incorporating box squats into my program when the ATF's are mastered.
I'm not playing @ lifting anymore. ;)

D.

xraygirl
05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Friday, 25 May '07-Chest & Back

BB Bench Press-5x5@80#
The last 2 reps of each set were challenging for me so I'll prolly stay @ this weight next week.
DB Flye-5x8@25
My DB's only go up to 30# and I won't be up to that on this exercise for another couple of weeks.
What Will Be Dips When They Grow Up- :swear:2 sets of 8 attempts :swear:

What Will Be Pull-Ups When They Grow Up- :swear: 2 sets of 10 :swear:
Pendlay Rows- 1x10@55#, 1x8@65#, 3x6 @65#
This was the first time I had done these :cool:
Lat Pulldowns-5x5@70#
These were tough

Always finish my chest/back workouts with:
DB Pullovers-5x5@30#
These were uber-tough because instead of lying on the bench like I normally do, I balanced by upper back crosswise on the bench. It made a huge difference.

Spiel-I'm committed to working the whole 5x5 experience. As you can see, I'm still playing around with poundages. It will continue to be a work in progress for a little while.
Lower body will be the challenge because I'm going into what I call "high-PMS-mode" next week sometime and I lose strength bigtime during that week & a half. Especially in my legs. So lower-body work will prolly look pretty lackluster for at least 2 weeks.

On 'da Pod-Are You Going to be My Girl-Jet

xraygirl, out

xraygirl
05-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Saturday, 26 May 07-Shoulders & Arms

Shoulders-
DB OH Press-tried the 25# & barely managed 2 reps. Put those suckers away and grabbed the 20# instead.
5x5@20#
Lateral Raise-Never did like this exercise but I suck it up anyway and play full out.
6/7/5/5/5@12#
Reverse Flyes-Don't mind these for some reason.
6/6/5/5/5@12#

Arms-
Hammer Curls-Meh
5x5@15#
Rope Pressdowns-Meh

Notes: My body needs a break so tomorrow will be a rest day. I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. Okay, I do know the reason why and so instead of deluding myself, I should just come right out and admit it. Hubby is bitching up a storm because I'm lifting and posting my workout instead of housecleaning. The house isn't going anywhere but my physique has gone straight to hell because I've done what he's wanted intead of taking care of my own needs. Now I'm taking the chillens to see Pirates3. So there!

In Other News...I now know why I was never able to progress above a certain weight on all my exercises before. To many reps per set. I can see my numbers going through the roof (well, at least for me) within the next couple of months if I continue with this 5x5 program.

On 'da Pod-Pod free today. I needed to listen to myself think.

D.

Howard 9
05-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Nice workout, tell your husband he needs to start helping out around the house!

xraygirl
05-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks for stopping by Howard. Also the feedback. It's always appreciated. Especially since I just started the 5x5 this week. Hopefully by next week the workout will be completed & posted before he rolls out of bed. Then it will become a non-issue.

Diana

Franco
05-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Welcome back to the forums Diana.

When did you leave Japan?

xraygirl
05-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Hey Franco! Left Japan in Aug '03. Spent 1.5 years in Northern CA and am now in NW Pennsylvania.

D.

xraygirl
05-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Monday, 28 May '07-Chest & Back

BB Bench-5x5@80#
The fifth rep is a struggle for these still so I'm staying right here until:
a. they become easier
b. Rachael's at home to spot me
DB Flyes-5x5@25#
These are becoming easier. Thank goodness. Feel a nice burn in the pecs when I do these.

Pendlay Rows-1x5@65, 4x5@70#
That was easier than last week. May go up again next workout
Wide-Grip Pulldowns-5x5@70#
These went smoother but are still tough enough to build character

DB Pullovers-5x5@30#
Significantly easier today. Will have to buy those 35# DB's on payday.

Stuff-Not bad overall. Since someone told me not to do iso work @ a 5x5 range, I'll have to tweak that before I work that again. Any input would be welcome. Tomorrow is my appt to get the knee looked at. Hoping to get clearance. And an appt with a PT to I know what I can do.
body fat-I have one of those scales that can be adjusted for fitness level. According to my calculations based on the numbers taken for a week, @ 14% BF would put me at approx 118#. So this means that I need to unload 26# of fat. Oh well, I brought it on myself.
Work-I'm not looking forward to going back tomorrow. Some of the people I work with are what I call psychic vampires. My nickname for them is The Posse. They do not take it well when someone who is not a part of their special group succeeds and can just make work an el-sucko place to be. I'm not excited.

That's pretty much it...

D.

xraygirl
05-29-2007, 06:46 PM
My knee got cleared!

Tuesday, 29 May 07-
Okay, the plan was to do light lunges and squats. Now, this is what really happened...

AFT Squats-
3 @ 45# bar-this was waaaaay too easy, so...
8 @ 65# -waaaay to easy, so...
5 @ 75# - not enough of a challenge, so...
5 @ 80#
2x4 @ 80#
2 @ 80#

SLDL-
8 @ 90#
8 @ 95#
3x5 @ 100#

Single-leg Extensions-
5x12 @ 25#

Bilateral Leg Curls-(can't do single-legs on my machine)
5x12 @ 30#

Notes-I'm extremely happy with this workout. Well, except the leg curls. I hate them and they pretty much hate me back.
Tomorrow, calves & abs. It will be fun

Diana

xraygirl
05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Wednesday, 30 May 07-
Cardio. Actually it was more of a half-jog, half-walk thing because I'm out of shape.

That's it!

Ramblings-work was there, home's still here. Feeling some almost serious DOMS in both the quads & hams. Working on tightening up the diet. Not doing badly but still needs work. Should just hold off on working that til next week.

POD!-Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting-Nickleback & Kid Rock

D.

xraygirl
06-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Okay, I'm back. In more ways than one
The kiddos are in their last week of school and the 16 y/o blew off some note typing etc...until this week. The students don't get full credit unless all their notes are typed. Also, a friend of hers family cannot afford a computer so my daughter typed up her notes for her too. Anyway, I was letting her use my computer to do all that.
I was having some serious exhaustion problems last week. It really threw me off my game. Narrowed down the causes of it to an unhappy mix of:
1. Hormones
2. Allergies
3. Sleep deprivation.
4. Not wanting to be at work.
The first could not be helped. The second got addressed with NasalCrom and Claritin. The third got addressed on Monday night with a dose of Tyelonol PM and I'm off today. I still think that I have a mini-bug because I'm still kind of achy but on the upside, I got my sense of humor back.

Tuesday's Workout-
Squats-5x5@80# Still a little bit shaky on the last 2 sets.
RDL-5x5@100# My issue with this is grip strength. Or rather, my lack of it. Most irritating. Using staggered grip.
Leg extensions-5x10@50 Down in these. Not good. Please excuse me while I beat myself up...
Leg curls-5x10@30 Still hate them, but they hate me a little less.

Was wiped out after that so I stopped right there.

Note to self-No leg workouts immediately prior to an operating room assignment. It was painful.

Another note to self-No more sleeping in past 5:30 a.m. I wake up with a headache every time.

Built
06-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Use straps for the RDLs.

That's what I do. It's more important to me to work my posterior chain than to have hands of steel.

I get headaches when I oversleep too. Weird, hey?

getfit
06-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Not wanting to be at work. I'm feeling this lately don't know why,I really enjoy my job,bah! middle life crisis ;)

xraygirl
06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Use straps for the RDLs.

That's what I do. It's more important to me to work my posterior chain than to have hands of steel.

I get headaches when I oversleep too. Weird, hey?

True. Guess it's time to get some straps. Thanks Built.

Not wanting to be at work. I'm feeling this lately don't know why,I really enjoy my job,bah! middle life crisis ;)

Must be. Just feel like I'm spending waaay too much of my life around a bunch of people I don't particularly like or respect. Don't want to become one of them. Besides, I want to have time to enjoy my life and that's just not happening right now. :whiner:

xraygirl
06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Worked all screwy shifts all weekend so workouts didn't happen but I'm on swings today & tomorrow.

Monday, 11 June '07-
BB Bench-5x5@80
These are still tough for me. I struggle to get the 5th rep during the last 2 sets so I'll be staying here for the time being.
DB Flyes-2x5@25, 3x8@25
Will try out the 30# db's next time
Penlays!-5x5@70
Will go up next time just to see if I can squeeze them out
Pulldowns-5x5@70
Booooring! But I'm too weak for pull-ups & my bar doesn't have an assist
Pullovers-5x8@30#\
Definitely need the 35# db's Time to move up

Braindroppings-
Too much personal crap going on so I'm passing for today.

On 'da pod-The new Rihanna cd.

D.

xraygirl
06-18-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm not dead yet. Was just rocking the midlife crisis. Blew the dust off the power rack yesterday. It was fun! Also teaching 15 y/o how to lift. Stay tuned...

Alex.V
06-19-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm not dead yet. Was just rocking the midlife crisis. Blew the dust off the power rack yesterday. It was fun! Also teaching 15 y/o how to lift. Stay tuned...

Whoa there killa, welcome back.

xraygirl
06-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome back Belial!

Here are the deets. Was going to go for the Cliff's Notes version but after some thought, decided against it.

In 2001, I started having difficulties with being consistent in my workouts. Kept getting sick or injured or something. Always something. This was in spite of living a basically clean life. Because of this, my workouts became less frequent. Then I began to notice a correlation between my squat/dead workouts and my immunity, or rather a lack thereof. So I experimented with taking a rest day or 2 after those workouts. But I'm one of those people for whom lifting is a drug. So finally, I threw in the towel.

Fast forward a few years. I'm going to doctors trying to find out why I cannot lift without getting sick. And basically getting blown off. Very frustrating. Finally, I'm sitting in the High School parking lot waiting for my daughter to finish cross-country practice and channel surfing the XM satellite radio. There was an MD who prefers alternative therapies answering caller's questions. In desparation, I called. As soon as the screener listened to my symptoms I got pushed to the front of the caller line. He told me that I needed my adrenals checked because it sounded like adrenal insufficiency.
Sure enough, he was right. The stresses I was under for years depleted me and my body couldn't keep up. I always considered things like adrenal insufficiency, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia as pseudo-diseases and now here I am with one. Go figure.

Anyway, I've moved to a mostly organic diet and take a bunch of vitamins etc...daily. All the weight I gained during the time I was struggling to find a diagnosis literally fell off my body in a 5 month period by making those 2 changes. I've been doing abbreviated workouts for about a year and a half now. Did a round and a half of P90X. Injured my shoulder trying to be an overachiever.

On Friday, I realized how much I missed lifting. I've also never stopped thinking of myself as anything else other than being a lifter. So that night, I kicked the boy out of my power rack and did some schooling in squats and deads. His form blows.
Yesterday, Chest & Back
Today, Shoulders and Arms

On the upside, I have a lifting partner.

On 'da Pod - Muse. All of it, courtesy of my 20 y/o daughter.

Anyway, glad to be back.
D.

xraygirl
06-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Brief time out to deal with a root canal. Planning to be back in full lift mode by Thurs.
That is all