PDA

View Full Version : Hard to diet as a teenager

SecretAsianMan
09-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Being tied to my mom, it's hard to diet. I've sorta convinced her that I need to do my own thing when it comes to eating. Problem is, I don't have the time or money for a really strict diet. What are some cheap, simple foods that I can go out and buy a lot of at costco or something?

I hear tuna, cottage cheese... lots of stuff.

If someone could take the time to compose a nice list of stuff for me to go out and buy then that would be great.

If it matters my goals are to drop bf and get lean muscle, not bulk(even though my weight is low...)

David
09-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Making a list is super easy.

chicken
tuna
eggs
oatmeal
cottage cheese
milk
brown rice
potatos

Sound good? Yes, yes.
Next time you go grocery shopping just get all of that and you're good to go.

Welcome to the site, BTW.

Maki - are you telling all of your friends about this great site?! LOL
;)

SecretAsianMan
09-23-2003, 08:33 PM
I should get rid of the yolks, yes or no?

What type of oatmeal? Not instant, I have heard.

I also read somewhere that potatoes are bad?

please confirm any of this, thanks a lot.

Wu36
09-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Grocery List (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list)

Check this thread out.

And welcome to the boards.

SecretAsianMan
09-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Couple more questions(this thread will probably grow huge with them)

What's a good way to cook chicken breasts? Could I just use a pan on the stove?

Is it good that I'm a pretty steady eater, as in I usually eat a few things that I choose to eat, and eat them continuously? Or should I have a ton of variety in my diet?

Ironman8
09-23-2003, 08:44 PM
I usually cook it by grilling it, but that's my personal preference since it's faster for me. Cooking it on a pan would be o.k.

BTW, you're dieting at 145 :eek:

SecretAsianMan
09-23-2003, 08:46 PM
You wouldn't believe how slow my metabolism is.

Plus I'm not really dieting, just looking to improve my current diet.

I may be pushing 150 now, since I gained some lbs in the summer.

bradley
09-24-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by SecretAsianMan
If it matters my goals are to drop bf and get lean muscle, not bulk(even though my weight is low...)

Gaining a significant amount of lean body mass while losing bf is not really practical, unless you are new to training or using AAS. I would recommend concentrating on one goal at a time, which will yield better results in the long run.

I should get rid of the yolks, yes or no?

I would eat a couple of the yolks, as they are a good source of fat, vitamins/minerals, protein.

What type of oatmeal? Not instant, I have heard.

The instant oats are fine, but the flavored oatmeal contains a fair amount of sugar. If you are going to go with instant just stick to the regular flavor.

I also read somewhere that potatoes are bad?

Potatoes are not "bad" but different types of potatoes can have rank differently on the glycemic index. Sweet potatoes would be your best bet (lower on the glycemic index), but there is nothing wrong with baking potatoes. Baking potatoes have a fair amount of calories and are higher on the GI, but the GI is not really that important if you are eating the potato with other macronutrients.

What's a good way to cook chicken breasts? Could I just use a pan on the stove?

It really is not going to matter that much, as long as you are not adding extra cals when cooking, i.e. frying.

Is it good that I'm a pretty steady eater, as in I usually eat a few things that I choose to eat, and eat them continuously? Or should I have a ton of variety in my diet?

Just base your diet on healthy foods, and if you prefer to eat the same foods everyday, then go for it. Although variety does break up the monotony associated with dieting.

If you are concerned about missing out on some of vitamins/minerals, due to lack of variety in your diet, then you can add in a multi-vitamin.

LastTemptation
09-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by TripleP
Making a list is super easy.

chicken
tuna
eggs
oatmeal
cottage cheese
milk
brown rice
potatos

Sound good? Yes, yes.
Next time you go grocery shopping just get all of that and you're good to go.

Welcome to the site, BTW.

Maki - are you telling all of your friends about this great site?! LOL
;)

Are these good foods to eat for someone who is 6'11 1/2, 160 lbs who is pretty much thin but is trying to loose a "beer belly" (mines not really from beer.. just using that phrase to give an example)... i think i need to lose my stomach fat before (or at the same time) i work real hard on getting a 6 pack.

SecretAsianMan
09-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Wait, you're 7 feet tall and weight 160 pounds?

LastTemptation
09-27-2003, 04:27 PM
oops

i meant 5'11 1/2 ... haha

ChrisH
09-27-2003, 04:32 PM
LastTemptation, if I were you i'd concentrate on eating the foods ike those above, and lots of them. More muscle = more calories burned sitting on your ass. Also whats the point? Might as well get big and then cut. Im not gonna cut until im about 200-220.

Dedicated
09-28-2003, 09:09 AM
What does AAS stand for?

bradley
09-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Dedicated
What does AAS stand for?

Anabolic Androgenic Steroids

Dedicated
09-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Cool thanks. I was hoping it was something not so dangerous like Amino Acid Supplements hehe.