PDA

View Full Version : Russian kettlebells?

Jim Rat
09-24-2003, 09:27 AM
I saw an article last month in FHM or Maxim, about Russian kettlebells and how the soviet special forces train with them.

They are basically a cast iron cannonball with a handle from what can tell.

They are supposed to be awesome for strength training, and building strong joints.

check out www.russiankettlebells.com

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used one, and if so what they thought of it???

chris mason
09-24-2003, 10:59 AM
You have to love how things come back into style....

They are fine. They are not miracle devices, but they serve and purpose and are good for variety in your training.

unshift
09-24-2003, 11:09 AM
i've never used one personally, but the word on the street is that lifting a ball with a handle creates very different leverages than standard DBs and will give you a much different workout. like chris said, they're not miracle devices, but good for some variety

Meat_Head
09-24-2003, 12:36 PM
Kettlebells are extremely effective, but not as much from the fact that they are kettlebells than the ways they are used. High repetition one handed oly lifts are an incredible conditioner. Although they aren't necissarily great for mass and maximal strength gains, they work well for a variety of sports goals, especially any kind of cardio work.

I believe a few studies have been done taking a group that did pullups, verticle jumps, and sprints, and a group that just did kettlebell work. After both had trained for roughly 10 weeks, both groups were tested for improvement in pullups, sprints, and jumpsquats. The kettlebell group had more improvement despite the fact that they never performed any of the exercises tested.

Basically if you want to be more fit or lose weight and you have money available, go ahead and buy a set and maybe a few books on using them. If you're on a more tight budget, just use dumbells and try doing a few sets of high repetition one arm cleans and snatches 4-5 times a week, not to failure.