PDA

View Full Version : Eggs Yolks - healthy?

SadCubicleHead
09-04-2001, 07:16 AM
Are egg yolks bad for you?

I eat about 10 eggs a day.
I take out 2 or 3 of those yolks.

Iím trying to gain legitimate mass (weight).
Weight: 140
Height: 6í1

I jog 3 times a week (30 min Ė 3 miles a jog)
I workout 4 times a week (1 hour workouts)
700 sit-ups a week.

I keep hearing that egg yolks are bad for you? Is this right?

Thanks for reading. I am in my cubicle right now :-(

Tryska
09-04-2001, 07:18 AM
egg yolks are fine. In moderation. they have lots of good stuff in them. (this doesn't mean eat a full dozen everyday)

hemants
09-04-2001, 07:20 AM
Egg yolks contain cholesterol.

If the rest of your diet is low in saturated fat then eating 3 yolks a day probably won't lead to high blood cholesterol

The protein in whole egg has a higher BV than the protein in egg white alone so egg yolks do have their merits.

At the same time, roughly 1 in 4 people have a high link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. High blood cholesterol is very bad.tuttut

If you're young I wouldn't worry about it but if you're in your 30's or higher then you should probably get your blood cholestrol checked.

I am not a Doctor and this is no substitute for sound medical advice from a professional.

SadCubicleHead
09-04-2001, 07:33 AM
Iím 25.

If the rest of your diet is low in saturated fat then eating 3 yolks a day probably won't lead to high blood cholesterol

My diet is very very low in saturated fats.
I eat about 10 eggs (7 yolks) a day.

Arenít eggs (and yolks) very good to eat a lot of if youíre trying to bulk.

syntekz
09-04-2001, 07:47 AM
They're good wether you're trying to bulk or cutup. Eggs are a great source of protein wether you're eating the yolk or the whites.

heathj
09-04-2001, 11:59 AM
The white is much better though because it is pure protein. Egg yolks contain the fat and the cholesterol, even though your body only consumes like 20% of the cholesterol and it's good cholesterol.

YatesNightBlade
09-06-2001, 02:12 AM
Egg cholesterol will raise your bodies cholesterol by zero.

hemants
09-06-2001, 06:46 AM
"Egg cholesterol will raise your bodies cholesterol by zero."

Not true. It depends on the individual.

Egg cholesterol will raise blood cholesterol in roughly 1 out of 4 people i seem to recall.

YatesNightBlade
09-06-2001, 06:53 AM
A recent study had 8 individuals on 4 eggs a day and another 8 on none. 2 months later all 16 individuals had unchanged cholesterol levels.

hemants
09-06-2001, 07:02 AM
16 is not really a large sample space is it?

I think we can both agree that eggs get a bad reputation but to say there is no link is not really accurate.

Alex.V
09-06-2001, 07:03 AM
Yah. Dietary cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol, (only possibly if there is a pre-existing problem.) It's probably the most useless number on the nutrition facts label.

Tryska
09-06-2001, 07:41 AM
agreed with yates and belial. dietary cholesterol has almost zero affect on blood cholesterol.

hemants
09-06-2001, 08:04 AM
I guess I could agree with "almost zero" or "very little" effect for the majority of people.

Here's a good link citing 10 different studies:

http://www.enc-online.org/dietc.htm

Summary:

Serum cholestrol change mg/dl per 100mg of dietary cholesterol intake per day ranges from 0.7 to 3.4.

15-20% of the population have high sensitivity to dietary cholesterol; for the majority 80-85%, sensitivity is low and a non-issue.

That being said, 15 yolks a day is probably not good for anyone over a long period of time. Even if the cholesterol doesn't get you, the saturated fat probably will.

Spiderman
09-06-2001, 09:15 AM
Hemnants, Yates is correct on this one. As I've stated before... the cholesterol contained in an egg yolk CANNOT be absorbed by the body. It just doesn't happen. So there's no need to worry about to much cholesterol from the yolks.

hemants
09-06-2001, 09:42 AM
Research would indicate otherwise. I'd be curious to know how you would come to your conclusion?

Tryska
09-06-2001, 09:51 AM
here's some studies that might be of interest. (http://www.enc-online.org/dietc.htm)

what actually surprised me, is that in a few of these studies, while blood cholesterol was raised, the ratio of HDL to LDL increased as well. which is a very good thing.

hemants
09-06-2001, 10:03 AM
LOL we're going in circles, that's the link that I originally posted and which I used to draw my conclusions.

Here is a chart from the link:

STUDY PLASMA CHOLESTEROL
[mg/dl per 100 mg/day]

Ginsberg et al. 1994 1.5
Schnohr et al. 1994 2.4
McComb et al. 1994 2.3; 0.7
Vuoristo & Miettinen 1994 3.4
Kern 1994 0.7; 0.0
Lichtenstein et al. 1994 3.9; 3.8
Jones et al. 1994 4.1
Ginsberg et al. 1995 2.8
Ferrier et al. 1995 1.9
Knopp et al. 1996 1.6, 3.2

AVERAGE 2.3
1960-96 (n=142) 2.5

Translation :

A positive number means that there IS an increase in plasma cholesterol and that it is proportional to dietary cholesterol.

A negative number would mean that there is an inverse relationship.

Zero would mean that there is no relationship.

Yes, the increase is small in most people (80-85%) but it is still a positive correlation. This is why most of the studies conclude with saying something like "two eggs a day in a healthy adult will have LITTLE effect on plasma cholesterol".

Sorry Spidey, the statement that egg cholestrol "CANNOT be absorbed" is bollucks. (at least according to the 10 studies mentioned above)

Tryska
09-06-2001, 10:10 AM
right....but those increases in cholesterol do not warrant never eating eggs, again. as well, the associated increases in at least 4 of those studies of HDL to LDL cholesterol is a GOOD thing, as HDL is non-atherogenic. you read, the studies, you quoted them, but your extrapolation was a step short, IMO

hemants
09-06-2001, 10:23 AM
Tryska, I never said one shouldn't eat eggs. However, if you're one of the 15%-20% of the population that is sensitive to dietary cholesterol, you would probably be better off not eating 10 yolks a day. That's all I am saying, as well as I don't agree with the statement that egg cholestrol has ZERO impact on plasma cholesterol. That's simply not true.

Incidentally, from the studies:

Schnor : HDL increased 10%, LDL increased 4% ->good!

Vuoristo : no change in ratio of HDL to LDL -> neutral

Ginsberg 95 : HDL increased .6g/dl, LDL increased 2.1g/dl -> bad!

Ferrier : HDL increased 2mg/dl, LDL increased 13mg/dl -> bad!

Tryska
09-06-2001, 10:30 AM
as well...we are still overlooking the importance of other dietary factors.

the liver is the primary source for blood serum cholesterol levels. what little dietary cholesterol is added, IN most people, the liver will down-regulate to compensate. however - if you have a diet high in carbohydrates, those carbs break down to glucose, which enters your bloodstream. Some of this glucose gets used for energy....however, any overage gets converted to fat (triglycerides) which travel through the bloodstream, and while doing so, this sends a message to the liver to increase it's output of cholesterol to maintain homeostasis.

basically what i'm saying is that, dietary cholesterol, if anything, will downregulate the liver's production of serum cholesterol. dietary carbohydrates, however, can upregulate, as well as increase LDL to HDL ratios. but you know what? this all nitpicky science bs. you can quote studies, i can take thos studies and extrapolate a different way.

truth be told, we are talking about (according to these particular studies) at most - a 4mg/dl increase in cholesterol. Not enough to even warrant this disagreement in my opinion.

as well although there is some CORRELATION between apparent high cholesterol levels, and increased occurence of heart attacks, and atherosclerosis, there is no DEFINITIVE proof that cholesterol, or dietary cholesterol is the culprit.

dude - eat your eggs, enjoy them, don't sweat the small stuff.

hemants
09-06-2001, 10:42 AM
I think we're on the same page in terms of the 'take home message'. :P

It's just that once you say ZERO impact, then 2 eggs becomes the same as 200 eggs because 200 x 0 = 0.

In moderation, the advantages of eggs far outweight their disadvantages.

(by the way, 4mg/dl is per 100mg of dietary cholesterol per day which is 1/2 of an egg worth. 10 eggs/day would be 80mg/dl where the number starts to matter I believe)

Tryska
09-06-2001, 10:55 AM
well yeah...absolute statements do kinda suck don't they? *lol* as long we both agree that eggs in moderation aren't gonna kill ya, i'm cool

hemants
09-06-2001, 10:59 AM
Yay!!!

Let's just pray that Spidey stays away this time ;)

Spiderman
09-06-2001, 11:35 AM
One word..... De-fukin-gene-fukin-ration.

So what if it was an absolute statment? I'm just telling you what I"ve learned and thats all. So you's gonna hold it against me??

Alex.V
09-06-2001, 11:44 AM
Meet spidey and hemants, the ***** ***** and ********** of the diet board. ;)

Come on now guys, this is all good info. can't we be moderate? eat your egg yolks, but having 10 of them a day simply might not be a wise idea if you're worried (paranoid) about such things. If you're young and healthy, go for it. (And eat your shellfish, too).

What's so hard about that? Answers the question, doesn't it?

breeze
09-06-2001, 12:23 PM
Eating 10 eggs a day is never a good idea even for the young. Interestingly enough the poultry industry have learned a thing or two from the tobacco industry. Just when eggs were about to become villainous in the American diet, the poultry industry have founded research that said eggs aren't all bad. Whatever. Eating all those eggs a day have a compound effect. Like hemants stated even if 10 eggs equates into 4mg/dl increase in cholesterol, it doesn't stop there. Compound that by 300 eggs a month; you are going to have some interesting cholesterol levels.

hemants
09-06-2001, 12:57 PM
Sry Spidey! nothing personal man. I was trying to be humerous because Tryska and I agreed before you made your first appearance.

I all fairness I think we both learned some additional things since that point, so maybe it was a good thing you came in.

I apologize if you took my joke as anything but.

Breeze, the studies refer to eggs per day not total eggs.

Belial ***** ****? Hmmm, actually I don't want to know...:D

Jane
09-06-2001, 04:20 PM
This might sound stupid, but I keep messing up when I want to get the yolk out of the egg. What's the best way to separate them? The stupid spoon keeps taking half the whites as well as the yolk.

?

Alex.V
09-06-2001, 04:23 PM
Break egg in half over bowl. pour yolk back and forth between halves. White drops out into bowl. :)

the doc
09-06-2001, 05:03 PM
total serum cholesterol is probably the most useless number obtained from the lipid profile. Discussions of whether or not eggs raise cholesterol are not relevant in terms of cardiovascular health. Frankly, the most important information you can obtain from the lipid profile is the ratio of ldl/ hdl. This is what is crucial information. Yes the studies may have measured increased cholesterols. However, If hdl is being raised with ldl then it is a benign food. Also, just because someone has high cholesterol does not make them more succeptable to cardiovascular deterioration. many adults with low cholesterol have heart attacks and arteriosclerosis. These studies are blown out of proportion. Their evidence may show correlation but this does not mean that the cause has been determined.

Maki Riddington
09-06-2001, 05:06 PM
Imformative post Doc.:)

Tryska
09-06-2001, 05:13 PM
thank you doc! that's what i've been trying to say..but you said way better then i did...*lol*

hemants
09-07-2001, 06:36 AM
The correlation of jumping off a bridge and killing yourself may not be 1 for 1 but you still gotta go with the odds right?

P.S. Doc, what kind of doc are you?

YatesNightBlade
09-07-2001, 06:44 AM
Dr Lurrvvvee !!!!!

the doc
09-07-2001, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by hemants
The correlation of jumping off a bridge and killing yourself may not be 1 for 1 but you still gotta go with the odds right?

P.S. Doc, what kind of doc are you?

i am not a physician if that is what you are asking, nor have i ever claimed to be.

Jumping off a bridge may or may not result in death
Many bridges are of safe hight to jump from-but perhaps there are unseen rocks underneath. My point is that because something correlates doesn't mean it is a cause!

Also, with regard to cholesterol levels and heart disease, please show me where total cholesterol is the causal factor. Indeed most of these studies did not consider the ratios of ldl/hdl of those with high cholesterol until recently. Also, there are new factors, such as homocysteine levels and antioxidant consumption which were not controlled for in these studies.
In medicine, the number one goal of cholesterol treatment is to lower ldl in relation to hdl. Often this is achieved through cholesterol lowering drugs or by changes in diet. Consider niacin therapy. The goal here is to increase hdl (that would result in an increase in total serum cholesterol) because many suffer from a poor ldl/ hdl ratio. Indeed a recent study also showed that very low serum cholesterol levels were a risk factor in cardiovascular disease.

hemants
09-07-2001, 09:27 AM
Look, I don't doubt that there are many other factors besides total cholesterol that contribute to heart disease, but the fact remains, that cholestrol reducing drugs are a multi-billion dollar industry.

The bottom line is that if you increase total serum cholesterol, you are probably increasing LDL which, according to the medical community, is a risk factor to heart disease (note the difference between risk factor and cause, it is not an exact relationship).

Anyhow, I doubt we disagree on the take home message with regards to eggs.

In moderation their benefits outweight the risks; why can't we just leave it at that?

the doc
09-07-2001, 09:33 AM
of course we can :)

but in academics we like to argue about the slightest disparities in research, because they pay us to ;)

btw i eat 4-6 whole eggs/ days

yummy!!!

hemants
09-07-2001, 09:39 AM
Roger that :)

I like learning new things as well and you never learn from people who agree with everything you say ;)

Of course, the rest of the world has to put up with long threads though :angel: