PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb, but not Keto FX on the body?

Fenbay
09-24-2003, 09:58 AM
My workout partner is pretty well versed and has even competed in some amateur bodybuilding contests and this is his take on the subject:

The worse place to put your body in is taking in a very low amount of carbs, but not quite enough to push you into ketosis. His logic behind this is that your body's pathways are not optimized to then burn either fat or carbohydrate. So there would be a greater chance of lbm loss.

I'm skeptical though. Seems to me if your body had enough carbs to burn for some energy then your workouts would be higher intensity than if your were pure keto and thus better chance for hypertrophy and as long as the protein is available ....viola anabolic.

What you diet gurus think?

SquareHead
09-24-2003, 10:22 AM
CKD?
http://www.c-k-d.com/

Fenbay
09-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Not CKD ....saying that you never actually go into ketosis, but that your body is burning carbs & fat for energy because you're not bringing in enough pure carbohydrate to sustain ALL caloric needs.

bradley
09-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Fenbay
My workout partner is pretty well versed and has even competed in some amateur bodybuilding contests and this is his take on the subject:

The worse place to put your body in is taking in a very low amount of carbs, but not quite enough to push you into ketosis. His logic behind this is that your body's pathways are not optimized to then burn either fat or carbohydrate. So there would be a greater chance of lbm loss.

I'm skeptical though. Seems to me if your body had enough carbs to burn for some energy then your workouts would be higher intensity than if your were pure keto and thus better chance for hypertrophy and as long as the protein is available ....viola anabolic.

What you diet gurus think?

I see where your workout partner is coming from. The body makes adaptations in response to ketosis, and one of those adaptiations is decreased glucose requirements. For example the brain requires a minimum of ~100g of glucose per day, but after an initial time period it will adapt to using ketones for fuel. It still needs some glucose, but this can be derived from excess protein and does not necessarily have to come from the breakdown of LBM. In theory this would mean that ketosis is protein sparing, but real world results have shown that there is little difference between ketogenic diets and more balanced approaches, assuming that both diets provided adequate amounts of protein and EFAs.

Taking in carbs around you training would be anabolic, especially compared to a ketogenic diet, but the probability of gaining muscle and losing fat is still low when in a calorie deficit.

EdgarMex
09-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Well, from my personal experience, a TKD worked pretty good, although my choice of traininig was not as good (HST and low carbing were not a good combination for me). I didn't lose much strenght and I did lose plenty of fat. The amount of weight lost was about the same I the cut I did before, but this time it was a lot more notieceable.

For my next cut I'm planning to do a TKD again, although this time I'll stick to my regular routine.