PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal flavored or natural?

Vvitto
09-04-2001, 11:41 AM
I just started to use oatmeal as part of my diet.
The natural one is so hard for me to digest even if I use some cinnamon.

I can tolerate the flavoured oatmeals!

IS it bad to eat flavoured oatmeal as the natural one make me to gag!!

Any suggestions?

syntekz
09-04-2001, 12:05 PM
Hrmm... the un flavored oatmeal can't be that bad. How much are you eating? The serving size is only 1/2 cup and I can eat much in about 4 or 5 big bites.

The flavored is much better, but contains a lot of sugar.

hemants
09-04-2001, 12:29 PM
You're better off getting the unsweetened stuff and if absolutely necessary, add your own sugar or honey. I'd bet the flavoured stuff has 4 spoons per serving or something like that.

Alternatively, raisins and flax seeds seem to taste quite good with the 1 minute Quaker stuff that I have.

Pup
09-04-2001, 12:50 PM
For the natural oatmeal, add 1 packet of splenda and 2 tbs of natty pb, it makes it ace. Don't use the the flavored stuff, way too much sugar.

syntekz
09-04-2001, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by just_a_pup
For the natural oatmeal, add 1 packet of splenda and 2 tbs of natty pb, it makes it ace. Don't use the the flavored stuff, way too much sugar.

I'm confused. What is splenda? and what is "natty" pb?

Adam
09-04-2001, 01:25 PM
splenda is a artifishal(sp?) sweetener
natty peanut butter is just natural peanut butter, only ingredient is peanuts i think

syntekz
09-04-2001, 02:15 PM
You putting the peanut butter in before you cook the oatmeal or mixing it in after it's already cooked?

IceRgrrl
09-04-2001, 02:20 PM
Peanut butter mixed into a bowl of cooked oatmeal is awesome!

Alternatively, try adding a little brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup to unflavored oatmeal...it will still probably end up being less sugar than the preflavored kind.

A little dash of cinnamon or nutmeg tastes good too...

Alex.V
09-04-2001, 03:06 PM
1 tablespoon of peanut butter before you cook it, and then two packets of equal, some cinnamon, and a dash of salt after you cook it. Stir and shovel the slop into your mouth. Yum.

Tryska
09-04-2001, 03:32 PM
i'd actually pick the splenda over the equal at this point...

sucralose v. aspartame.

but that choice is yours....*lol*

Alex.V
09-04-2001, 03:41 PM
*Steps to tryska.*

Cackerot69
09-04-2001, 03:42 PM
Aspartame will give you cancer and your hair will fall out, not to mention you will turn green.

Tryska
09-04-2001, 03:42 PM
don't forget you did that b.

hey - ot question....have you been to the other haunt lately?

Alex.V
09-04-2001, 03:45 PM
Naw, not really. Anything exciting up there?

:D

(Take dis to PM, yo. ;) )

Jane
09-09-2001, 02:37 PM
I can't stand oatmeal either. At least not without some sweetner and since sugar is eevil, I've got to get me some splenda.

The old haunt, guys? I still go there, if its the place I think you're talking about. I remember I asked a question, and Tryska told me to get Belial's advice, and the rest is history. Now I'm becoming frighteningly interested in weightlifting and driving my family nuts. :D

Alex.V
09-09-2001, 04:50 PM
bwahahaha. You will be assimilated. :D

Pup
09-09-2001, 05:55 PM
oats are ace, i'll have to try the adding em before cooking thing

Kazuki
09-09-2001, 06:02 PM
I usually refrigerate my natural peanut butter, so yeah... kinda makes it hard to mix it in AFTER. Heh.

Cinnamon is not bad, either. You can add lots of that.

I don't add a fat source in with something that causes any rise in my insulin, and it seems to work better for fat loss than when I did. I save it for the end of the night when I'll take back the two 20g cans of tuna, and just toss a tablespoon or so of flax.

But regardless I do not even know the guy's goals. Just something I thought I would add...

A personal pet peeve.

Jane
09-09-2001, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by just_a_pup
oats are ace, i'll have to try the adding em before cooking thing

Hmm...
Oats generally have to be added before they are cooked :D

As for the old haunt, its seething with eating disordered girls. I have to get myself out of there, its too triggering. :(

Alex.V
09-09-2001, 08:55 PM
Aye, through our mutual insanity we find affirmation. At least over here we got the GOOD kind of insanity going. :D

Tryska
09-10-2001, 05:26 AM
heh...WBB - "Let your Inner Freak Shine."

SadCubicleHead
09-10-2001, 09:45 AM
I eat my oatmeal plain.
Itís not that big a deal, you probably eat a lot of other foods you really enjoy Ė sacrifice and join me in my hell.

If you canít digest normal oatmeal, then donít eat oatmeal. Friends.

Vvitto
09-14-2001, 03:53 PM
If you were to chose between flavoured oatmeal and natural one wiht honey which would be a better choice?

I heard some voices which are saying that the flavoured oatmeal could be a good replacemnet for the natural one as I found difficult to digest it without using honey!

Any thoughts?

Tryska
09-14-2001, 06:02 PM
natural with honey, would be my choice, although you are still dealing with what? straight glucose?

but the way i look at it, better the evil you know then the evil you don't know....which would be allt he other excess crap in flavoured oatmeal.

i bet if you start cutting back subtly on the honey, you would get used to eating it closer to natural.

i usually had bleuberries to plain oats. that way it's sweeter, and uses fructose instead of glucose. plus the antioxidants and good stuff in berries.

w8lifter
09-15-2001, 07:04 AM
I say make your own, even if you have to add your own sugar/sweetner:

Peaches & Cream flavour, apples & cinnmamon: 12 g sugar = 3 tsp
Raisins & spice: 16 g sugar = 4 tsp sugar
Maple & brown sugar: 15 g sugar = 3.75 tsp sugar
Cinnamon & Spice: 17 g = 4.25 tsp !!!!!!

cut_in_diamond
05-02-2003, 12:48 AM
I eat my oatmeal plain.

If you have real goals and dedication you should buck up and shovel that **** down. Remember stallone in Rocky with the raw eggs!!

GhettoSmurf
05-02-2003, 04:36 AM
lol i agree

one thing you could do, is try putting some splenda or equal on the oats. or you could try cinnamon as well.

Ironman8
05-02-2003, 07:01 AM
I like putting a tbs. of syrup on mine. Also, some cornflakes.

Airflight89
05-02-2003, 01:40 PM
I also have a hard time eating plain oatmeal so I just add one packet of flavored and one packet of plain oatmeal together. Hey at least I'm eating one serving of plain oatmeal right?:D

powerhalf
05-02-2003, 02:51 PM
For breakfast I had (among other things) Pup's idea of plain oatmeal with natural PB in it, and it was awesome. Very good stuff, but a bit dry, so you're gonna need some water to drink (which you should be doing a lot of anyway :))

AJ_11
05-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Flavoured oatmeal is crap. In taste and in quality. It funny alot of people want to have better diets and eat oatmeal that is pre packaged and manufactered and in the end it is no better then some of the junk food that they gave up to eat "healthy"

Flavoured Oatmeal contains refined suger, hydrogenated fats which are the worst for you.

Stick some whey if you don't like the taste at least then you are getting some protein in with it.