PDA

View Full Version : Too much Iron?

nejar462
09-04-2001, 12:02 PM
I read my blood report to day and it registers 5.46 iron in my blood. I think this also raised my ALT. I'm going to see my doctor again, but any ideas on how to reduce the iron in my diet?

Tryska
09-04-2001, 12:05 PM
only way to get rid of Iron is too bleed.....ergo..Support your Local Blood Drive!

breeze
09-04-2001, 12:07 PM
cut down on iron rich foods.

Tryska
09-04-2001, 12:10 PM
dietary iron has no bearing on iron levels. most of it is non-heme anyway.

trust me..the only way to get rid of high iron levels is to bleed. (1 reason why women don't have these problems)

nejar462
09-04-2001, 02:02 PM
Wait, I looked it up, and it said that it was dangerous to have high iron levels in my blood, so I have to start bloodletting? Also, why wouldn't dietary iron affect my bloods level of iron, its not that, its like, H or something red blood cells are high or something, I asked my sister and she said it meant high iron, she is also like someone who pretends to know it all though, so who knows?

IceRgrrl
09-04-2001, 02:24 PM
Well, like Tryska said, go out and donate blood at the local Red Cross.

Since 5% of Americans actually give blood but 87% of them will need blood at some time, you'd be doing your good deed for the day as well ;)

Tryska
09-04-2001, 03:21 PM
dietary iron won't affect your iron levels, for two major reasons....

a..most dietary iron is of the non-heme variety. (blood iron) this would basically come from red meat, however, very little of the heme iron in red meat actually becomes heme iron in our bodies.

b..your body has no way of getting rid of iron....biologically speaking it doesn't want to. we developed this ability to hold onto and recycle the iron we have in the face of parasites that our ancestors used to have to contend with. they did the bloodletting for us....and since there were so many battling it out in our guts, the ability to horde iron, made the difference in survival. so now we have no (or rather very few parasites). But our bodies haven't adapted and they still horde as much iron as possible and recycle it. so in essence, without developing a stomach ulcer, or colon cancer, or getting in a knife fight, the only way to get rid of the excess iron is to give blood. which all men should do, for their health as well as the health of others.

nejar462
09-04-2001, 05:17 PM
I dunno, that knife fight sounds tempting, lol, im only 15, I can't actually give out blood. I'm not even really a man, im still like a boy.

Tryska
09-04-2001, 06:30 PM
well dude...bide yur time til your old enough and then start donating....

Tryska
09-05-2001, 05:20 AM
need to make a correction on what i said about dietary iron. As a matter of fact, Iron from meat and poultry IS Heme Iron, however, heme iron is easily digested and egested by the body. It doesn't affect cellular iron levels at all.

(stupid tryska - heme does not always = blood)

sorry - got a little confused.