PDA

View Full Version : Being Tall And Doing Dead Lifts

-TIM-
09-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Does being tall make it harder to deadlift? Are we at a disadvantage?

I'm 6'3" and have been doing them for about 14 weeks. I'm up to 295 lbs. for my max and I do 225 for 4 sets of 6.

Just curious.

IceRgrrl
09-25-2003, 05:22 AM
Are you doing conventional deadlifts or sumo deadlifts? I'm tall and I found sumos to be WAY better suited for my build.

mikey4402
09-25-2003, 09:07 AM
i find sumos alot easyer then conventional deadlifts much like icergrrl, im 6'6"

rpffly
09-25-2003, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't say a disadvantage. I'm 6'1 and I think you just have to be more concious of using good form and watching your lower back.

ryan1117
09-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Isn't it more of the length of your arms in comparison to the legs? I mean, someone with really long legs and short arms will be at a disadvantage due to a larger ROM as compared to someone with short legs and long arms.

Chris Rodgers
09-25-2003, 10:34 AM
It really has alot to do with your individual build. One person who is 6 ft tall may have way different proportions than another 6 ft person.

Most of the time the shorter lifter will be better suited to do sumos and taller better at conventional. That being said, one of my lifters is 6'2" and pulls conventional in meets, while another is 5'6" and pulls conv.

But just to let you know my "little" cousin is 6'2" and pulls conventional. He has hit 440@224 at 16 years old with just a belt. Form has a lot to do with it too.

ElPietro
09-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LATMAN
It really has alot to do with your individual build. One person who is 6 ft tall may have way different proportions than another 6 ft person.

Exactly. It more has to do with arm length, versus leg length.

Some tall guys are all upper body, some have longer legs instead. If you are tall but have long arms and shorter legs, then you will probably rule the deadlift, since you will have so much less ROM to go through with your arms reaching so low.

-TIM-
09-29-2003, 01:26 PM
I do conventional. I'm more curious than anything. I'm pretty happy with where my deadlifts are right now. But being 6'3" gets you wondering.

Delphi
09-29-2003, 05:04 PM
I tried sumo deadlifts for the first time last night. Granted I had done some goodmornings and reverse hypers first, but I've done better doing them conventional. I'm 6'3" with a 36" sleeve and 34" inseam.

My knees are pretty sore on the inner surfaces today. It's the joints themselves, not muscles or tendons. Also it's not a flexibility issue- I had my feet out almost to the inside collars but I could have spread them even further without any problem.

Has anybody else here gotten inner knee soreness from sumos? If I had pointed my feet out further to the sides would that have prevented the soreness?

-TIM-
09-30-2003, 01:30 AM
It's seems like sumo's would take nearly all of the stress off your lower body and distribute it to your low and mid back. Is that correct?

DEADLIFT4405
10-26-2003, 07:24 PM
What kind of reps are you doing low reps? or higher reps? and you said that its your inner knees? like your actual joint? I know that when doing low reps it puts stress on the ligamenst and tendons, but thats a good thing, cause they get stronger. I'm not exactly what to say, but I know that water plays a role in lubricating the joints, and cartilidge, maybe you should drink more water?

Alex.V
10-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Drinking water isn't going to help. lol. It'd only make a difference in the joints if he was severely dehydrated, in which case he'd have bigger worries.

DEADLIFT4405
10-26-2003, 08:04 PM
I was only trying to help..... sorry for trying to help someone. .....
another thing you could do is use knee wraps, that would help big time.