PDA

View Full Version : Diet Question concerning Carb intake for gaining muscle

i3oca
09-25-2003, 10:10 PM
I was wondering what my carbohydrate intake should be in a situation like mine. I am 155lbs, and want to get to 170lbs by summer. I am about 7% body fat, and work out 4-5 times a week lifting and do cardio for about 30 minutes once, maybe twice a week.

How many carbs should I intake? Is there anything else I should be concerned about intaking (fats, etc.), besides protein (i try to intake between 140-175g a day)....

Is there a specific time where I should intake protein and/or carbs before or after a workout?

Are there any recommended meals or things to eat?

Like I said, my goal is to get to 170 by summer, but also keep my body fat around the same.

Any suggestions? Also, are there any other supplements that you would recommend me taking? I drink two protein shakes a day, one in the morning, and one after working out. Vitamins?

bradley
09-26-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by i3oca
I was wondering what my carbohydrate intake should be in a situation like mine. I am 155lbs, and want to get to 170lbs by summer. I am about 7% body fat, and work out 4-5 times a week lifting and do cardio for about 30 minutes once, maybe twice a week.

How many carbs should I intake? Is there anything else I should be concerned about intaking (fats, etc.), besides protein (i try to intake between 140-175g a day)....

Just take in ~1g of protein per lb. of bw and ~25% of your daily cals from fat, and the rest of your daily cals can come from carbs. Most of your fat calories should come from healthy sources such as fish oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, etc.

Some people find that they prefer a higher fat intake as compared to a higher carb intake, but that is something that you will have to determine for yourself. Just make sure that you are consuming carbs around your training, and then you can play around with the amount of carbs and fat in your diet until you find a ratio that works the best for you.

As far as daily calorie intake is concerned, just increase daily calories in small increments each week until you are gaining a small amount of weight each week (~.5-1lb.).

Is there a specific time where I should intake protein and/or carbs before or after a workout?

Protein and carbs post workout would definitely be a good choice, and you may also want to include a small preworkout shake. Maybe something along these lines:

preworkout ~10g whey ~25g carbs
post workout ~25g whey ~50g carbs

The carbs can come from dextrose and or maltodextrin, and the preworkout shake can be consumed ~30 minutes before training.

Are there any recommended meals or things to eat?

Lean protein, low GI carbs (except pre/post workout), healthy fats

Like I said, my goal is to get to 170 by summer, but also keep my body fat around the same.

You should expect to gain some bf while trying to add LBM, but by concentrating on gaining a small amount of weight each week, you should be able to minimize the amount of bf that you gain.

Any suggestions? Also, are there any other supplements that you would recommend me taking? I drink two protein shakes a day, one in the morning, and one after working out. Vitamins? [/B]

A multi-vitamin would be a good addtion and maybe a fish oil supplement.:)

i3oca
09-26-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the reply...

I usually have a shake in the morning, and then i usually workout mid day, but sometimes at night.....and i usually eat something small, but with carbs....like pb and j sandwich, or a roast beef sandwich and some protein. then after i drink a shake.

Where do I buy dextrose (can i buy it in stores?)....and is there a specific kind or brand that I should use?

bradley
09-26-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by i3oca
I usually have a shake in the morning, and then i usually workout mid day, but sometimes at night.....and i usually eat something small, but with carbs....like pb and j sandwich, or a roast beef sandwich and some protein. then after i drink a shake.

Drink the post workout shake immediately after training, and then have a whole food meal ~90 minutes later. The post workout shake would ideally include a fast digesting protein and high GI carbs, with fat kept to a minimum.

Where do I buy dextrose (can i buy it in stores?)....and is there a specific kind or brand that I should use?

You can usually find dextrose at any store that sells home brewing supplies, and it is also called corn sugar.