PDA

View Full Version : Skinny Guy Needs Lots Of Help...

Scorpion
09-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi guys,

i've spent the past few weeks searching and searching, reading and reading through various places in this forum and have gathered knowledge.

Ok well ... Im from the UK and im very new to all this technical terms like calories and carbs n stuff and metabolism so im sure what they exactly are and what they're good for. I hope sometime i can find out what these all mean and that i can learn to count my intakes each day.

Urm .. ok well i weight about 100lbs i think and am about 5'7, i want to grow my height to about 6'0 and definately need more muscle and more weight. From what i've been reading im guessing that i need to eat eat eat and eat right? I also gather that i need to eat the right foods and not junk food definately. Below is a brief list of the foods that i eat in a day...Im asian by the way so my everyday diet usually has Legumes and Pulses n stuff...

Morning: My mum makes fresh fruit juice for me, either apple juice or orange juice, i eat handful of pumpkin seeds, 1 glass of water and Wholemeal bread with Chocolate Nutella spread.

Afternoon: 4 Chappati's with Green vegetables like lentils, beans, spinach etc. 1 Glass of water, 1 banana,

Early evening: 1 Glass of water, Some sesame seeds and sunflower seeds and some nuts and almonds, Wholemeal bread with Chocolate Nutella Spread.

Evening Meal: 4 Chappatti's with my green's as usual, 1 glass of water, rice.

Pre-Bed-Time Snack: Handful of pumpkin seeds, 1 glass of water mixed with 1 tea-spoon of RAW unprocessed natural honey.

I think my diet is virtually junk food free and stuff guys, but i feel the reason why im skinny and have been since a kid is because not eating enough to gain weight. What is meant by the term metabolism? If im skinny does that mean i have a fast metabolism and if so, what does that do to me?

I dont usually touch meat since i've been brought up as a vegetarian, but if somebody can tell me some nice foods i can eat to gain more weight to be atleast 140lbs over-time, i would greatly appreciate it with all my heart.

Criticism/Comments/Suggesstions all welcome by all means, please keep your Food jargon simplistic as possible, im quite new to the real techie stuff thats why!

Thanks a million guys, this place feels great to be a part of :)

delldell
09-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Good luck man, if you're vegetarian I don't know how you could do it without growing breasts. You have hardly any protein at all in your diet right now. I guess just drink tons of milk and buy whey and have 3 shakes a day.

GonePostal
09-27-2003, 09:52 PM
Question why are you a vegan? Any reason?

Spartacus
09-27-2003, 10:58 PM
i think he's just vegetarian. if thats the case eats a lot of milk and eggs. vegan, you will have to eat a lot of soy, nuts like almonds or peanuts, beans, whole wheat. use fitday.com to make sure you are getting adequate protein. and eat a lot of food if you want to grown.

you want to grow in height? how old are you?

reloaded
09-28-2003, 12:17 AM
eat lots of protein crap, seriously. itll help.

J450n
09-28-2003, 04:31 AM
EAT.. like you've never eaten before. That is all.

Edit: to be more specific - Carbs - pasta, brown rice, bread etc

If meat is not an option -

Protein - milk, whey protein supplement.

Keep scanning the boards and you'll soon pick it up.

bradley
09-28-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Scorpion
Ok well ... Im from the UK and im very new to all this technical terms like calories and carbs n stuff and metabolism so im sure what they exactly are and what they're good for. I hope sometime i can find out what these all mean and that i can learn to count my intakes each day.

A calorie is just a unit of heat, and it is a measurement that is used to estimate the amount of energy that is contained in food.

There are three primary macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat), and each play an important role in your diet. Protein and carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram, and fat contains 9 calories per gram.

Metabolism is a word that is used commonly to describe the amount of calories need to maintain your bodyweight. For example, a person with a slow metabolism will need less calories to maintain their bodyweight, and a person with a fast metabolism will require more calories to maintain their bodyweight. A more formal definition would be all of the chemical reactions in cells that use or release energy.

The general recommendation for protein intake is ~1g per pound of bodyweight, so if you weigh 200 pounds you would need to eat approximately 200g of protein.

Try and take in ~25% of your daily calories from fat, and most of this should come from healthy sources such as nuts, flaxseed oil, olive oil, natural peanut butter, fish oil, etc. Lets assume that you need 2500 calories per day, which would mean that you would need to eat about 70g of fat per day.

To determine your calorie intake, just slowly increase your daily calories in small increments each week. This means that you will have to track calories for a while, but it will be worth it in the long run. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you in this process.

For example, if you determine that you are currently eating 2000 calories per day and not gaining weight, then you would need to increase your daily calories up a little to approximately 2300. Continue this process each week until you are gaining .5-1lb. per week.

Urm .. ok well i weight about 100lbs i think and am about 5'7, i want to grow my height to about 6'0 and definately need more muscle and more weight. From what i've been reading im guessing that i need to eat eat eat and eat right? I also gather that i need to eat the right foods and not junk food definately. Below is a brief list of the foods that i eat in a day...Im asian by the way so my everyday diet usually has Legumes and Pulses n stuff...

Morning: My mum makes fresh fruit juice for me, either apple juice or orange juice, i eat handful of pumpkin seeds, 1 glass of water and Wholemeal bread with Chocolate Nutella spread.

Afternoon: 4 Chappati's with Green vegetables like lentils, beans, spinach etc. 1 Glass of water, 1 banana,

Early evening: 1 Glass of water, Some sesame seeds and sunflower seeds and some nuts and almonds, Wholemeal bread with Chocolate Nutella Spread.

Evening Meal: 4 Chappatti's with my green's as usual, 1 glass of water, rice.

Pre-Bed-Time Snack: Handful of pumpkin seeds, 1 glass of water mixed with 1 tea-spoon of RAW unprocessed natural honey.

The main thing you need to remember when trying to plan out your diet is eating enough protein and fats, and consuming enough calories to grow. Once you have your protein and fats in place, you can fill in the rest of your daily calories with carbohydrates. Each meal would ideally contain some protein, carbs and fat (balanced meal), with the exception being immediately before and after working out.

Pre and post workout you want to keep fat intake to a minimum, while taking in carbs and protein.

I think my diet is virtually junk food free and stuff guys, but i feel the reason why im skinny and have been since a kid is because not eating enough to gain weight. What is meant by the term metabolism? If im skinny does that mean i have a fast metabolism and if so, what does that do to me?

I answered this above:), but basically if you want to increase your size you need to eat. Having a fast metabolism will mean you just need to eat more, as compared to someone with a slow metabolism.

I dont usually touch meat since i've been brought up as a vegetarian, but if somebody can tell me some nice foods i can eat to gain more weight to be atleast 140lbs over-time, i would greatly appreciate it with all my heart.

When you say vegetarian do you mean lacto-ovo or vegan? Do you eat eggs and milk or just plant based foods?

protein- milk, eggs, soy, beans, nuts

fats- olive oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, peanut butter

carbs- oats, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruits, beans, brown rice, whole wheat bread

Please post any further questions, as there are many people here willing to help. Welcome to WBB:)

Scorpion
09-28-2003, 05:17 AM
Thanks greatly guys i really cant tell you how much i appreciate this.

Im 17 years old, i weight about a disgusting 100lbs, im about 5'7, i would really like to grow my height as well and i know i definately need more protein.

I tried olive oil the other day, i sprinkled some first over my food the other day, next morning i had diahrea! lol, was that because of the olive oil? could it have been it was just cleaning out my system?

How many banana's do you guys suggest i eat in a day?

And lastly ... ummm, im vegetarian, but not strict, i do eat eggs and such, just not meat as in chicken, fish etc etc. So im definately going to go and buy some eggs. Any recommendations on what eggs to buy? like free-range or something? How many eggs should i have a day?

Also on the Chocolate Nutella spread bottle it says ... "typical value per 100g = 533kcal" ... Can anybody tell me roughly in a single bread with the spread on, how many calories this might give me? a rough estimate will do.

Im definately going to eat oats, get some whey protein and whole wheat bread as well as other things you guys mentioned. Thanks for all this :)

bradley
09-28-2003, 05:30 AM
I tried olive oil the other day, i sprinkled some first over my food the other day, next morning i had diahrea! lol, was that because of the olive oil? could it have been it was just cleaning out my system?

It could have possibly been from the olive oil, but you could just as easily attribute it to some other food in your diet. Just add it in slowly and if it continues to irritate your stomach then I would just get my fat from other sources.

How many banana's do you guys suggest i eat in a day?

That would depend on how many calories you are taking in each day. With that being said, 2-3 bananas or other pieces of fruit will be fine, especially since you are trying to increase your calorie intake.

And lastly ... ummm, im vegetarian, but not strict, i do eat eggs and such, just not meat as in chicken, fish etc etc. So im definately going to go and buy some eggs. Any recommendations on what eggs to buy? like free-range or something? How many eggs should i have a day?

Just buy regular eggs, no need to spend the extra money on free range or organic IMO. There is really no set number of eggs that you need to eat each day, and just use eggs/egg whites as one of your primary protein sources.

Also on the Chocolate Nutella spread bottle it says ... "typical value per 100g = 533kcal" ... Can anybody tell me roughly in a single bread with the spread on, how many calories this might give me? a rough estimate will do.

That should come out to roughly 100 calories per tablespoon.

TheGimp
09-28-2003, 07:40 AM
I imagine a typical asian diet doesnt lend itself well to bodybuilding? You could try mixing some protein powder with milk, oats, flax and or olive oil, and peanutbutter, probably wouldn't taste great but it's calorie dense and gets in your protein and good fats.

Trent_Steel
09-28-2003, 08:43 AM
The key for us vegetarians is protein. If you dont eat meat you tend to not have a big slab of protein in your meal. So what I would suggest is having some protein rich food with all your meals. Its important that you are feeding your muscles or they will not grow.

Scorpion
09-28-2003, 10:29 AM
This is roughly what my days diet will consist of from tomorrow:

Morning: Fresh fruit juice apple/orange, 1 banana. Workout after 15 minutes for about 15 minutes. 1 scrambled egg and 1 glass of water, whole meal bread with chocolate nutella spread + a handful of pumpkin seeds and some some Almonds.

Afternoon-Lunch: 1 Banana with Ghee (indian type butter thing), 4 Chappati's and various indian curry such as beans and other pulses, 1 glass of water.

Evening: 2 Glasses of water way before dinner ... Usual indian meal with Chappati's and indian curry and rice, 1 cup of Barley, 1 banana with Ghee, handful of pumpkin seeds.

Bit before bedtime: 1 scrambled egg with wholemeal bread, some sesame seeds, 1 glass of water.

Before bed-time: 15 minutes workout.

How does that sound? Please critise this new timetable and maybe suggest what i could improve? Im a bit tied down to spacing out my meals as i have to go college full-time and have a part-time job so that kinda ruins it a bit. I've totally stopped eating junk food as that doesn't help at all. Apart from other shakes and flax/olive oil any other protein rich foods that are vegetarian that i could eat to increase protein intake?

bradley
09-28-2003, 10:54 AM
This is roughly what my days diet will consist of from tomorrow:

Morning: Fresh fruit juice apple/orange, 1 banana.

I would add a small amount of protein to this meal, and maybe go with something like a banana and some egg whites or a protein shake if you have access to protein powder. Milk would also be another option.

Workout after 15 minutes for about 15 minutes. 1 scrambled egg and 1 glass of water, whole meal bread with chocolate nutella spread + a handful of pumpkin seeds and some some Almonds.

When you say workout, what does your training consist of? Have you looked at the WBB routines located on the main page? Also the link below should be helpful, as well as the articles listed on the WBB main page.

www.exrx.net

As far as your post workout meal, try and keep fat to a minimum while taking in carbs and protein.

Scorpion
09-28-2003, 11:04 AM
I've got basic exercise stuff at home like 3 different dumbells, a pull-up bar, press-up bench, a bullworker.

Right so i should eat the egg before working out right? The way i eat my eggs is just crack the shell and scramble them. Is that fine?

Im trying to stay away from milk because i've been researching into today's pasturized milk and semi-skimmed milk about the dangers of it. Pasturized milk supposedly is heated to an extent where all the goodness is killed off it, and semi-skimmed milk destroys callogen i beleive in the body ... and also the milk-fat that is taken away from the semi-skimmed milk is good for you, withouth the milk-fat in the milk the calcium cant be absorbed properly. Over time semi-skimmed milk gives you brittle bone disease. Please correct me on this if im wrong, i've researched into it for about 1 year or so. Im trying to find access to raw milk. If i drank raw milk, to rid it of harmful things should i heat it up before drinking it? I have a weight gain shake so i'll drink that 2 times a day to help top things up.

bradley
09-28-2003, 11:34 AM
I've got basic exercise stuff at home like 3 different dumbells, a pull-up bar, press-up bench, a bullworker.

What I was trying to imply, is that you really need to have some sort of planned routine, and the WBB routines would be a good place to start.

Right so i should eat the egg before working out right? The way i eat my eggs is just crack the shell and scramble them. Is that fine?

Well, I would keep fat intake to a minimum around your workout, so instead of eating whole eggs, you could eat egg whites.

Im trying to stay away from milk because i've been researching into today's pasturized milk and semi-skimmed milk about the dangers of it. Pasturized milk supposedly is heated to an extent where all the goodness is killed off it

It is heated to destroy bacteria, but the milk will still be beneficial, as far as nutrient content is concerned.

and semi-skimmed milk destroys callogen i beleive in the body ... and also the milk-fat that is taken away from the semi-skimmed milk is good for you

There is nothing special about milk fat, and drinking skim milk will be fine. I have never seen or read anything that would indicate that skim milk destroys collagen.

withouth the milk-fat in the milk the calcium cant be absorbed properly. Over time semi-skimmed milk gives you brittle bone disease. Please correct me on this if im wrong, i've researched into it for about 1 year or so. Im trying to find access to raw milk. If i drank raw milk, to rid it of harmful things should i heat it up before drinking it? I have a weight gain shake so i'll drink that 2 times a day to help top things up.

I do not think the above statements are accurate, and skim milk will supply the body with calcium just as well as whole milk. The only thing in milk that might be of concern when consuming commercailly harvested milk would be the amount of hormones in the milk. This is really not something that I would worry about, as the amount of hormones contained in the milk would not be likely to have any affect on humans.

Unless you are lactose intolerant or are allergic to milk, I would not worry about consuming commercially harvested milk. I would stick with skim milk, since milk fat does not offer any nutritional benefits, but if you need the extra calories then you might want to use whole milk.

Scorpion
09-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the great info. You guys definately have some good knowledge. Ps ... about the milk thing, if your interested in some articles regarding milk conspiracies and facts about milk and raw milk etc etc private message me and i'll send you some interesting info on it.

Thanks again