PDA

View Full Version : Bulk & Cut ??

JNowiski
09-28-2003, 11:00 AM
I have been working out for 3 or 4 months now, and gained some mass from working out, do you think it would be better for me to go ahead and cut, then bulk, or get some protien powder and bulk some more?

Im at about 14 -16% bf.

Jasonl
09-28-2003, 11:23 AM
its really up to you, what your goals are and such. i personally clean bulk until i hit about 17-18% then cut until i can see my abs again. have you ever cut before, prepare to be in hell!!
good luck

JNowiski
09-28-2003, 11:28 AM
No, I have never really been in to bodybuilding. I like PowerLifting and strongman, but im not strong enough to compete in those, so I figure I might try to look alright while in high school.

SO you think I should do protein for a few weeks, then cut? I might pick up some protein tonight.

Also, do you notice better results with protein powders when you workout in the morning?

SoulOfKoRea
09-28-2003, 11:39 AM
sorry JNowiski, protein powder isn't magic :)

you'll see better results when you take in enough protein to build new tissue(muscle to be exact) - with a variety of high protein foods and with supplements if you want. 1 g/lb bodyweight is all you really need.

take it post workout with dextrose and/or maltodextrin in water

you should ALWAYS keep protein intake high, cutting or bulking, it wouldn't matter

once again, protein isn't magic

JNowiski
09-28-2003, 11:41 AM
I know im not going to gain 20lbs of lean muscle in a week or two, but my protein intake is pretty low right now, so it wouldn't hurt at all.

Trent_Steel
09-28-2003, 12:12 PM
I like to think of protein like house bricks!

Let me explain, you cant build a house with out enough bricks, so no matter how fast you can lay bricks, if you dont have enough your not going to be able to build that house.

But if you have a big pile of bricks there is only a limit to how fast you can build that house, so you end up with a house and a big pile of bricks, thats a waste of money.

What you want to do with protein is eat enough so your body can grow the new tissue, ie the house, but not take so much your body doesnt need it and put stress on your kidneys and liver.

JNowiski
09-28-2003, 12:29 PM
I get what your saying trent. I need to make sure im aware of how much I take and such. Thanks.

EdgeCrusher
09-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Your BF is right in the middle of bulking and cutting, so could you show a picture? If you are small (not much muscle), you should bulk IMO

JNowiski
09-28-2003, 01:13 PM
I don't have a scanner or anything like that.

I'm 5'6, about 155. I think I will try and bulk.

EdgeCrusher
09-28-2003, 03:55 PM
@ 155, bulking would probably be good unless you are very body conscious (as in, you would have issues with looking fatter).

Also, as long as you eat a clean diet, you shouldn't gain too much fat.

JNowiski
09-28-2003, 05:26 PM
No, as long as the end results are good, Im not worried about looking fat.

How lond does it usually take to get bigger? I mean, how long does it usually take you guys, and what kind of routine do you do?

mercury
09-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by JNowiski
No, I have never really been in to bodybuilding. I like PowerLifting and strongman, but im not strong enough to compete in those, so I figure I might try to look alright while in high school.

Well yeah, you have only been working out for 3 or 4 months. Give it time, and your strength will improve.

bradley
09-29-2003, 02:55 AM
I have been working out for 3 or 4 months now, and gained some mass from working out, do you think it would be better for me to go ahead and cut, then bulk, or get some protien powder and bulk some more?

Im at about 14 -16% bf.

If you have only been working out for 3-4 months then I would continue trying to increase LBM. I would try eating close to your maintenance calorie level and see what type of results you get, as it is not uncommon for beginners to be able to gain LBM and lose bf at the same time.

Although bodyfat setpoint would also be a determining factor as to whether you should continue bulking or start cutting.

jinxx
09-29-2003, 06:17 AM
I usually bulk till I'm at about 13-15% and then start cuttin again till I'm back at like 8-9%. But it really depends on what your goals are like.

JNowiski
09-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Im going to bulk for a little, then cut. I got a small can of protein powder, and when I finish it, im going to cut.

bradley
09-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Im going to bulk for a little, then cut. I got a small can of protein powder, and when I finish it, im going to cut.

Protein is essential to the body, so taking in adequate amounts each day will be beneficial. Although protein powder is not a necessity, it is a good protein source, especially for pre/post workout nutrition.

JNowiski
09-29-2003, 04:12 PM
I just used it for the first time today, hopefully in the end I will be a little bigger.