EdgeCrusher
09-28-2003, 04:06 PM
9/28/03 - Chest + Triceps

Flat Bench - 135x8 | 160x8 | attempted 175, but couldn't
Incline Bench - 95x8 | 115x8 | 135 x 4
Decline Bench (first time) - 95x8 | 105x6 | 115x4

Tricep Pulldown - 100x8 | 120x8 | 140x7 | 130x6

X-Chest - 110x8 | (can't remember #, but one plate higher) x6

Tricep Pulldown (again, because partner skipped it first time and I did it with him) - 80x8 | 100x8 | 120x6

I am not very knowledgeable about the science of nutrition/lifting, so feel free to tell me what you would change and why.

I started up a journal up a while ago, but I was lazy and now I'm starting to get back into lifting religiously.

Scott S
09-28-2003, 07:41 PM
:spam:

You should eat a lot more meat. That always helps my lifts. ;) :D :D

EdgeCrusher
09-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Scott S

You should eat a lot more meat. That always helps my lifts. ;) :D :D

I don't eat meat. It's not very easy to get a lot of protein without protein shakes, but I know I tend to hit necessary levels, at least I do when I pay close attention.

RG570
09-28-2003, 08:33 PM
\m/

Scott S
09-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Just messing with ya. Your old sig made note of the fact that you are/were a vegan. ;)

There are good websites on combining proteins. Websites to which I would post links if I knew any right off. I remember rice and beans was a good one.

A study that a lot of us here quote indicates that a natural lifter cannot make use of more than 0.8 g of protein per pound of bodyweight. This is pretty easy to attain, even as a vegan, if you do it right.

That would work out to around 180 g for you. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

EdgeCrusher
09-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Thanks, I get 50 from my morning shake alone, so it's not too hard when I pay attention and eat clean.

EdgeCrusher
09-29-2003, 06:58 PM
9/29/03 - Legs & Shoulders

Barbell Behind the Neck Press: 65x8 | 95x8 | 105x4 | 85x8

Leg Press: 140x8 | 250x8 (poor breathing) | 270x9 (good breathing) | 320x8
Calf Raises: 135x8 | 180x8 | scratch (did 225x8 with poor form)
Leg Extension: 75x8 | 87.5x8
Leg Curl: 75x8

and then the gym closed. :mad:

Scott S
09-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Man I gotta switch to this EdgeCrusher diet: all supps, except for a little bit of food. :D

EdgeCrusher
09-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Man I gotta switch to this EdgeCrusher diet: all supps, except for a little bit of food. :D

LOL, You definitely have a point there - I should probably drink 2 more shakes tonight around 2 am. (I have class @ 2pm tomarrow, so I'll be going to sleep around 4 am).

I'm probably hitting 1600-1800 calories so far, and I maintain around 2k.

EdgeCrusher
09-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Workout updated above

btw, this is my first real leg workout in maybe 2 years, so I expect my gains to be pretty rapid as today I had to make sure my breathing and form was good (which it wasn't in the beginning, making the workouts kinda hard).

Wednesday is Back and Biceps, so I might go to the gym to do cardio, but I'm not sure. If you have any ideas what to do on Tuesdays when my lifting partner can't lift on Tuesdays (this is 1 of our 2 scheduled rest days), please let me know. My scheduled breakdown is:

Sunday: Chest + Tris
Monday: Legs + Shoulders
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Back + Biceps
Thursday: Chest + Tris
Friday or Saturday (either or, other day is rest): Legs + Shoulders on week one, Back + Biceps on next week, and then rotating)

EdgeCrusher
09-30-2003, 05:15 PM
9/30/03 - Chest

So it seems that my partner can lift today, so we will, but we're only doing chest today and Shoulders (yesterday's shoulder work out sucked), Triceps, Back, and Biceps tomarrow.

Flat Bench: 140x8 | 165x8 (last one I couldn't lock out, but I still got it up)| 175x1 | 140x8
Incline Bench: 115x8 | 125x5
Decline Bench: 100x8 | 135x7 | 135x1
X-Chest: 150x10

EdgeCrusher
10-01-2003, 04:12 PM
10/01/03 - Shoulders, Biceps, and Triceps

1. DB Curls: 22.5x8 | 22.5x10 | 22.5x12
2. Reverse DB Curls: 15x8 | 15x10 | 15x12
3. Short BB raises (can't find other name): 50x8 | 60x7 (poor form) | 50x8 | 30x12
4. Rows: 70x9 | 80x7 | 70x8 | 60x8
5. Arm Extension: 62.5x12 | 75x10 | 87.5x6 | 37.5x15 (way too easy)
6. Machinated Arm Curls (1 arm) 25x8 | right: 37.5x7, left: 37.5x5
7. Machinated Arm Curls (2 arms) 50x8
8. Tricep Pulldons: 80x8 | 100x8 | 120x8 | 140x8 (poor form)
9. BB Shoulder Press: 85x8 | 100x7 | 90x4
10. Military Press (1st time): 65x8 (easy) | 85x8 (harder, wrists hurt) | 85x8 (wrist better)

Overall: Disorganization of workouts getting to me a bit, I have to do legs + back tomarrow because I can't do 3 chest workouts in a week with only one day of rest in between as I value my chest workouts as critical to determining growth (however odd it might be thought) and if I can't do my best, it'll screw up the next two days until I can improve. I am pretty sore in my shoulders after the workout and my quads were very sore this morning.

Also, a friend wants to lift with me and my partner tomarrow, and legs + back isn't so bad to do I guess.

drew
10-02-2003, 06:32 AM
Soy-based :spam:

:D

EdgeCrusher
10-02-2003, 03:19 PM
10/02/03 - Legs only workout

Last night I went to bed @ 5:30 am as I was working on a PHIL324 paper and had to get half done or today would be impossible. I got up @ 1 pm and slept through my 11 am class (which just reminded me to send an e-mail to the TA). I woke up with a pretty bad stomach ache and diarrhea (sorry to be explicit, just stating the facts) and I either had a headache from being sick or had a blood pressure headache that went away. After class, I changed into my workout clothes, downed 2 ISP shakes and went to get my two workout partners. The first (and one who has been lifting with me) couldn't because he had to go to a study review session. The second said he was sick. The fire alarm in my building went off, and so I said "**** it" and just started off to the gym.

Workout:

Leg Extension: 75x8 | 75x8 | 87.5x8 | 87.5x8
Leg Curls: 70x8 | 70x8 | 90x8 | 100x8
Seated Calf Raises: 125x9 | 170x8 (quads started to hurt from pressure)
Standing Calf Raises: 180x10 | 200x10
Leg Press: 270x8 | 270x8 | 360x6

So right now I'm gonna finish this paper and try to get some sleep. I feel like **** but at least I got my workout in (however mediocre it may be).

Reinvented
10-02-2003, 03:28 PM
good luck with your goals, :spam:

EdgeCrusher
10-03-2003, 09:49 PM
10/03/03 - I'm an out of shape bastard

Today I was planning on just doing cardio, so after lunch @ Chipotle, I went over to the gym alone to work up a sweat. I saw a friend and we decided to lift together. This workout was far from organized, it hit every muscle group, and was not difficult at all. The most strain I really put on my muscles that I wish I didn't was that I did 155x8 for 3 sets. I talked to PowermanDL and he told me how to lift so my bench goes up and my first day of Chest is set up for Sunday - but I did the light bench part of the second Chest day 2 days before I start this. Overall, the lifting part was ok, enough to get my heart going, but not bad enough to have made a real impact on my workouts (except for the bench part, but that will be observed Sunday).

After lifting, the guys wanted to play Basketball. I haven't played in about 6 years, and the guy who wanted to play me was just as out of shape as I was, so we bet a meal at Chipotle, max 10 dollars. He was out of shape, but I was ****ed. In a game to 10, my heart felt like it was going to burst, I couldn't catch my breath, and I was getting lightheaded. I also, it turns out, am asthmatic. I walked home (just barely) bright red and feeling like I could pass out any minute, and turned off the lights and went to bed. 4 hours later, I am getting up @ 11:45 pm to take a shower and find something to eat.

I should take this as a challenge to get in better shape though, because my basketball session showed me that I'm in such pathetic shape that I can only go up.

And I'll never bet money/food on a basketball game again.

EdgeCrusher
10-05-2003, 02:26 PM
10/05/03 - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Lats

1. Flat Bench: 175x5 | 165x4 | 155x3
2. Military Press: 95x5 | 115x5 | 115x3 (didn't have a spotter, so I had difficulty getting the bar up behind me)
3. Tricep Pulldowns (Cable) - 140x6 | 140x6
4. Assisted Pull-ups: 64lbsx4|76lbsx4 = 161x4 | 149x4
5. Lat Pulldowns: 80x5 | 60x5
6. Close-grip Bench: 95x5 | 115x5

Comments: I am feeling pretty good today. Only thing that caused concern for me is that there is a patch of small rigid bumps on the back on my tongue - which probably is due to burning my tongue last night eating Chinese. Next workout is Wednesday, which will be a heavy leg workout.

EdgeCrusher
10-06-2003, 11:19 PM
So, on 10/02 I was feeling extremely sick, and today (10/07) I feel even worse. I am typing this up after cleaning up my single after practically exploding in my room, and so I am airing out my room, and spraying air freshner every minute. On a side note, I wonder whether the stuff I left in the hall trash can is some kind of illegal hazard (b/c of body fluids). Last year, I left a bag of vomit in a trash can and nothing but a smell happened - so not so bad I guess.

I am feeling REALLY REALLY sick and I can't really leave my room. BUT, I did workout earlier today (but just cardio, I decided to do legs tomarrow).

Btw, I realized my scale wasn't on proper flooring, and instead of 225, I weigh 230. :(

Scott S
10-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Doesn't that suck when your scale is finicky about placement? The wooden floor of my 110-year-old dorm has next to no level places. It took forever to find a spot where it didn't wobble. Since it's a digital scale that gives precision to .2 lbs, I step on it a couple times to get an average. It can vary by a lb!

And, don't feel compelled to workout if you're sick. It can put you back on both fronts. Just concentrate on resting and getting enough calories.

Get better! :thumbup:

EdgeCrusher
10-07-2003, 12:13 AM
I had my scale on a rug, and when I moved it to the stable flooring, you could probably hear me on the floor when I found out I was off by 5 lbs.

Thanks, it's really odd about this sickness thing. I'm thinking a. my stomach is effed because of poor eating habits/supplementation. b. i got some kind of bacteria in my system (not unlikely considering how dirty some places are here) and it makes me sick everytime I introduce food into my body.

When I don't eat before my workout, I can feel good and get heavy lifts. If I eat anything that's not a protein shake, I'm not only sick, but I can't leave my room/bed for awhile.

EdgeCrusher
10-07-2003, 07:47 PM
10/07/03 - Legs - \/\/004!

Today I had a great leg day. My stomach was feeling good and my scale (on the right balance) got me as 226 lbs, which is better than the 230 from the day before.

Workout:

Leg Extension: 112.5x6 (worked with a guy who put up 150 like it was nothing, so I got a bit of an ego push to lift more) | 125x6 | 137.5x6
Leg Curls: 110x6 (machine had way too many variables as some fat lady got in it before me and ****ed up all the seating, so I didn't even bother with more)
Seated Calf Raises: 180x6 | 205x6 | 180x6 (very good form for all, but my quads hurt, so my numbers weren't as high as they could be)
Leg Press: (I saw a guy do 810x8 on the press before I did, so I felt pretty pumped up to do a lot) 450x6 | 360x6 | 270x6

I'm really happy with my Leg Extension and Leg Press numbers. I upped my Leg Extension by 50 lbs and I upped my Leg press by 90 - which is pretty damn good for me.

Cardio tomarrow, big upper body day Thursday.

EdgeCrusher
10-09-2003, 07:43 PM
10/09/03 - Upper Body Day

Workout:

1. Flat Bench - 165x8 | 165x8 | 165x5
2. Incline Bench - 135x4 | 125x7 | 115x8
3. Close-Grip Bench - 115x8 | 115x8 | 115x7
4. Decline Bench - 135x6 | 115x8 | 115x8
5. BB Behind the Neck Press (a REALLY hot girl was stretching in front of me, so I couldn't concentrate in the least) - 95x4 | 75x8 | 75x8
6. Rows - 80x9 | 90x8 | 80x8

Comments: I am feeling good - my workout partner is more or less a flake, so I'm just grabbing someone from my building everytime I go so I get the spots I need.

Meat_Head
10-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Good band = good sn

Good work!

rookiebldr
10-10-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
I'm really happy with my Leg Extension and Leg Press numbers. I upped my Leg Extension by 50 lbs and I upped my Leg press by 90 - which is pretty damn good for me.

Amazing what motivation can do. That is damn for anybody! Keep lifting the heavy weights.

Coke
10-10-2003, 08:14 AM
...too bad about the partner man, best of luck in getting some reliability on them spots bro - ;)

EdgeCrusher
10-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by CoCoa
...too bad about the partner man, best of luck in getting some reliability on them spots bro - ;)

Yeah, I am looking into the powerlifting group here on campus, see if they hit the gym where i lift on a regular basis.

and thanks for the support guys.

EdgeCrusher
10-11-2003, 11:31 PM
I e-mailed my journal to a guy in the MD Powerlifting Club, I got this e-mail:

Robert,

After looking at your routine, I realized that you are either 1)
Reading
Ahhhhnold's book, 2) Reading news stand bodybuilding magazines 3)
trying to
do every exercise that you can come up with in each workout. For
example, in
your "chest" workout, you do 3-4 different types of bench, then move
into a
bunch of isolation exercises for both chest and triceps. You have
another
day for just arms, where you use just about every type of curl that I
can
think of, and you start the day with two types of curls before you do
some
rows. Then you end the workout with some presses, which are a compound
movement, after do a bunch of iso shoulder work. In the workouts you
sent
me, you do 99 sets of upper body work, but only 35 for lower body. Now
this
is a rough count, but your lower body work is also predominantly iso
exercises too, but your upper body has a fair bit of pressing (but far
less
pulling). Basically, your routine needs a complete overhaul.

First thing to think about is that the body is not a collection of
parts,
but rather one complete system, where all the parts help out one
another.
It's for this reason that you can not hope to perform a catalog full of
isolation exercises and hope that the sum of all the pieces will equal
a
good whole. In addition, there are numerous benefits from performing
mostly
compound exercises (multi-joint) over isolation exercises, including
increased athleticism (over just training for looks), work on areas
that you
might not be able to hit directly (especially the core musculature
around
your midsection - guys that do all their training sitting down tend not
to
have good midsections = being prone to injury and a lack of "real
world"
strength). Also, don't worry about performing 5 kinds of bench to hit
all
the parts of the pecs - that's bodybuilding trash talk, and although it
might have some merit for an advanced, competitive bodybuilder, it does
you
no good to try and work on all of these at once (although we can work
them
in for variety).

So, for suggestions, pick your 5 favorite compound exercises. These
should
be full body exercises. These are the ones that you are going to work
on
extremely hard, and concentrate on perfecting you form and raising the
weight as much as you can (when you're ready, and you maintain good
form).
My suggested list is squat, deadlift, standing overhead press, chins,
incline bench. These will hit virtually every muscle in your body - try
and
think of something they don't. They are also some of the most
difficult,
taxing movements - that's good - the harder you can work, the faster
and
more complete your results will be. Next, think of another 5 exercises,
one
each that will help with the above lifts, these are your assistance
lifts.
Again, my suggested list is leg press, hyperextensions, shrug, close
grip
bench, and bent rows. Ok, so now we have 10 powerful exercises to base
a
routine around. Over 3 workouts a week, that's 3-4 movements to work
hard
on! So lets frame out a program.

Day 1: Squats 5x5 , hyperextensions 3x10, Incline Press 5x5
Day 2: Standing Overhead Press 5x5, Chins 5x(max reps - 1), Shrug 4x8
Day 3: Deadlift 5x5, Leg Press 3x15, Close grip bench 5x5, bent rows
4x8

Ok, now lets flesh it out a bit! There are some areas that deserve a
little
extra work, like the grip and abs. And because everyone loves doing
curls
for the girls, I concede some curls - BUT we're going to make them
tough,
you're going to use a 3" diameter bar for these. Also, once a week
we're
going to include a "finisher" . This is an exercise that will hit your
whole
body, making sure that, should we have missed anything, that this will
work
it! Also, finish up with a few sets of ab work. So, your workout is
going to
look like this:

Day 1: Squats 5x5 , hyperextensions 3x10, Incline Press 5x5, Farmer's
Walk
(Walk with the biggest dumbbells you can hold around the gym for at
least
100'), Abs 3x15
Day 2: Standing Overhead Press 5x5, Chins 5x(max reps - 1), Shrug 4x8,
Thick
Bar curls 3x8, Dumbbell side bends 2x15 each side
Day 3: Deadlift 5x5, Leg Press 3x15, Close grip bench 5x5, bent rows
4x8, A
few sets of anything you want to do - if REALLY want to and have the
energy!, Abs 3x15

Try this out for a couple weeks and let me know how it goes. Email me
with
any questions. If I'm in the gym, you can ask for help with exercise
form.
It's good that you're keeping records, it's great motivation, and you
need
to know what you did last week and how it felt to know which weights to
use
the next workout. As you gain experience, you can change things up, use
front squats instead of leg presses, things like that, but the above
routine
is guaranteed to add lots of strength and mass if you work it hard and
eat
enough. I need to grab lunch, talk to you later,

Allan

---

So, I think I might go with this workout and see if I can workout with them using that routine and this way I'll have a partner. The competition between me and my friend is moot now, as I can lift more than he did now and he hasn't been lifting at all. Does the routine look good?

EdgeCrusher
10-13-2003, 05:52 PM
10/13/03 - Day 1 of New Routine

So today I went to the new gym and started the new routine with the guys on the powerlifting team. First off, the gym is great because people know what they're doing and it's got guys doing power cleans and squats more than the curls. Second, the three guys (and one girl) who were there from the team were real nice and helped me with my (lack of) form. Third, I'm loving this new routine.

1. Squats - I did 95 lbs, 3 sets, 10 times - extremely easy weight, but I spent the whole time working on my form. I was told to get my form right by practicing in my room for awhile, and apparently/obviously I am not flexable enough to squat correctly.
2. Flat BB Bench - I warmed up with 135 8 times, and I would have done less (I usually do the bar), but I was going according to what the spotter recommended. Then, I put up 175 9 times, with the 10th rep being assisted. From there, I was exhausted, so I couldn't really do any more - I went for 165 and after the third rep, I got assistance for the final 7 reps.
3. Hyperextensions - 3 Sets of BW 10 times
4. Farmers Walk - This was brand new to me. I started off with 65s in each hand, walking around the gym once. Then, I did 75s and almost did my lap (about 5 or so steps and then I lost my grip). THEN, I was told that I should do 85s and I got half way, which they were happy with.
5. Abs on Decline Bench. I did 6 crunches and I realized I suck :)

This was a great workout for me, while my numbers weren't so hot (but I was thrilled with 175x9).

Next workout is Wednesday.

rookiebldr
10-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Ace! Looks like a great solid routine that will definitely do you well. There are a number of people on the board that are into powerlifting routines for building strength who will likely be able to help out as well. Powerlifting will definitely help in building the body as well so it's not just for strength.

Good luck, this group sounds like it will be great to workout with. :)

EdgeCrusher
10-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Thanks, I am hoping that Powerlifting will help the body a great deal as I'm gaining like 2 lbs a week and eventually I'm gonna want to drop back down to 220 lbs (I'm about 12 lbs over that now).

And now it's just time for you to get into bulking man, I almost passed out when I saw you ate ~1k a couple days ago :)

EdgeCrusher
10-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Wednesday - 10/15/03 - Workout #2 of Week #1

Standing OH Press - 95x8 | 115x5 | 115x5 | 105x5
Chin-ups - (Assist of) 50x5 | 70x4 | 88x4 | 88x6
Shrugs - 135x8 | 185x8 (grip sucked, hands hurt, form sucked) | 135x8 (much better) | 185x8 (better form, but hands were really hurting)
Thick-bar Curls: Bar (45 lbs)x9, x7, x6, x6
Dumbell Side Bends: 45x8 | 45x8

Max-Mex
10-16-2003, 08:16 PM
That new routine is gonna kickass for you. Glad those PL'ers talked some sense into you. Don't worry about grip. It'll get better.

Scott S
10-16-2003, 10:42 PM
That routine looks awesome... I've cribbed a couple ideas for my next routine. :D

rookiebldr
10-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Dude, I ate over 3K today and I'm still hungry. I'll more than top that tomorrow. :D :D

Coke
10-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Best of luck with the new routine, looks solid, hope you will thrive on it...:)

EdgeCrusher
10-18-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys, I hope it will bring pretty strong results.

And keep eating rookie - 3k is nothing - I'm eating 4k - 5k now :)

And on that note, I have reached 235 lbs, which was the point I was thinking of where I should cut back to 220 or less. My goal is to get my bench to be = to my weight, but if I don't take a month to cut, not only will that be very hard, but I won't have pants to fit into soon.

(Assuming 1500 calories from diet, 2500 on non-workout days, 3000 on workout days)
Sunday: -1000 calories
Monday: -1500 calories
Tuesday: -1000 calories
Wednesday: -1500 calories
Thursday: -1000 calories
Friday: -1500 calories
Saturday: -1000 calories
Total: -8500 calories from week one. Which translates to an expected loss of 2.43 pounds from week one (which is just below my lowest expectation for weight loss a week).

edit - I think I will add 30 minutes to an hour of cardio time a day to speed up the process. I will keep weightlifting heavy and if I don't make gains or start to lose strength, I will ditch the cardio.

EdgeCrusher
10-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Monday - 10/20/03 - Workout #1 of Week #2

Workout:

Squats: 95x6 | 135x6 | 185x2 (potential for more reps, but I felt a twinge in my stomach that made me be rack it in case I hurt myself - which I didn't)| 155x4 (just played it safe) - I didn't have anyone watch my form, but I felt as if I broke parallel, or even lower. I think I will be able to regularly rep 185 within a couple weeks.
Flat BB Bench: 45x8 (warm-up) | 185x8 | 165x6 | 165x6
Hyperextensions: BWx10 | BW+25x10 | BW+35x10 - I feel as if I could do more weight, but I don't know how to hold on to more weight and I am a bit worried I would break the stand.
Farmer's Walk - 75lb Dumbells for 40 seconds | 60x30secs | 75x15 secs

I was happy to have decent squat form and a decent base #'s to start with and I was thrilled to pump out 185 8 times.

rookiebldr
10-20-2003, 04:04 PM
lol, an all liquid day, eh?

Nice benching Edge. 185x8 is so close to that goal, you'll be modifying that soon. Hit 195 next week, you've got it in ya, no problem. Nice workout! :)

Dedicated
10-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Nice work on the bench, and I hear you on repping 2 45's on each side, that would be soooo cool.

aka23
10-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks, 195 is the goal next week for 6 reps, and if I can do that - my goal should be within easy reach.

Nice workout. It sounds like the bench pressing is coming along very well. Rep calculators (Brzycki, Epley, Lander) suggest that if you can do 8 reps at 185lb, you will likely be able to do 6-6.5 reps at 195lb.

EdgeCrusher
10-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by aka23

Nice workout. It sounds like the bench pressing is coming along very well. Rep calculators (Brzycki, Epley, Lander) suggest that if you can do 8 reps at 185lb, you will likely be able to do 6-6.5 reps at 195lb.

Thanks! The rep calculator (http://www.engr.mun.ca/~butt/mrcalc2.html) is pretty interesting - it says I can do anywhere from 4.3 to 4.9 reps of my goal weight of 205 and anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7 reps of 225, which is both plates.

I wonder if it would be worth jumping from 185 to 205 (my goal by 12/15/03) next bench workout (next monday) because if 195x8 (if I get another huge boost of strength like I did this week), the calculator says I should be able to hit the 6 rep max on 205 - giving me lots of time between then and 12/15 - so I could probably reach a higher goal by then.

Scott S
10-20-2003, 07:01 PM
Those rep calculators are fun, but I'm not sure everybody shares the same relation between maxes. For example, given that I can DB bench 60 x 8, I *should* be able to put up 65's for 1 or two reps. But I've tried and I can't.

Dedicated
10-20-2003, 08:07 PM
I would play it by ear, like if you feel you can do it that day, then go for it and do 205lb:)
The calorie cut might have an effect on your energy so I would just wait and see how you feel and don't be afraid not to try 205lb.

I agree also that you prolly won't lose alot of muscle with your calorie cut cause your bf is high. I think I'm like at 15-17% so I can't really cut hardcore without losing muscle heh:(
Anyways keep kicking ass!

EdgeCrusher
10-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Tuesday - 10/21/03

Comments: I have a paper to do now, and it is pretty long (5 pgs) - but I heard it's easy because it is experiential based (which I hate because it's all bull**** "I think" stuff) so I expect to be done by 10, do some research for my International Negotiation class (meeting @ 3:00 pm) and then get to sleep. Also, coming back from dinner tonight (fairly dressed up) I saw how friggin huge I was looking. I dropped 2 pounds today and my upper body is looking pretty awesome when I stand up straight.

Alke
10-21-2003, 06:35 PM
hey, nice journal. strength is looking good, and goals look great. I think you will actually do better than you think, specially if you follow the advice given you in that there email, good stuff.

good luck man

EdgeCrusher
10-22-2003, 05:58 PM
Thanks Kenn :)

10/22/03 - Workout #2 for Week #2

Felt a bit sick this morning.

Workout:

Standing OH Press: 45x5 | 95x5 | 125x5 | 125x5 | 125x4
Chins: Assist of 70x5 | 64x5 | 58x5 | 58x2 | 70x4
Shrugs: 95x5 (great form) | 205x5 (good form) | 275x0 (form was too bad for it to count) | 225x5 (sub-par form) | 205x5 (decent form)
Thick Bar Curls: Bar (45) x5 | Barx5 | Bar+5x5 | Bar+10x5 | Bar+15x5 = 45, 45, 50, 55, 60x5
Dumbell Side Bends: 45sx5 | 50sx5 | 55sx5 | 60sx5

I was told to put 3 minutes between each set (I was spending maybe one minute max before) and I think that might have helped a lot) - only down side was that I was in the gym for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Overall I did well. The shrugs were kinda odd because I am still trying to figure out what weight I can do while maintaining good form, but I have provided strong gains on every exercise from last week.

Btw, I decided to not put up diet info anymore. Primarily due to laziness and the fact my diet is pretty constant.

Dedicated
10-22-2003, 06:03 PM
Nice workout man.

I find that when I workout(especially fullbody workouts I dunno why), that I get sick alot unless I take lots of vitamin C. I think the body's immune system is lowered when you are recovering from a workout or something so it's easier to get sick. Anyways 2 grams a day will do wonders, hope you feel better soon:).

EdgeCrusher
10-22-2003, 06:16 PM
2 grams? My multivitamin does 60 mg and is says I'm getting 100% - would taking so much more Vitamin C produce any problems?

And I've been sick lately, except for during and after my workouts. I guess it's because my lungs are opening up and I'm breathing better.

Dedicated
10-22-2003, 07:22 PM
2 grams? My multivitamin does 60 mg and is says I'm getting 100% - would taking so much more Vitamin C produce any problems?

Nah we are considered athletes because we workout so that doesn't apply to us. We need more:)
Basically the important ones are vitamin C(2-4 grams), vitamin E(400ui), and the B vitamins. It's easy to get all the b vitamins if you take like one of those b12 complex liquid/pills. Add a multivitamin to that and your all set. You don't really need to supplement other vitamins but if you do be careful, cause unlike vitamin C too much of other vitamins can be bad for you. For example too much zinc, over 100mg can be bad. Here is a link with some info, it basically talks about the most important vitamins.
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=50&pageid=2

SquareHead
10-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Nice journal edge. Thx for posting that email you got from the PL friend. Im going to have to go through it a fiew times but it's great information. Good luck with your goals man!!

EdgeCrusher
10-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks Dedicated, I'll pick up some Vitamin C @ CVS tomarrow - it'll prob help.

No prob. Squarehead, the routine is working out very well - newbie gains aside (which I am still making), the gains every week are soaring (like 10 lbs on each lift).

Alke
10-22-2003, 09:05 PM
yup, were special so we gets double up on the vitamins :D :D

nice session edge, you gots a thickbar for curls? SWEET, my gym doesnt have one, and DB's are nice tiny little handles as well :(

Im still playing with shrugs myself......uhm, side bends?

EdgeCrusher
10-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Kenn
yup, were special so we gets double up on the vitamins :D :D

nice session edge, you gots a thickbar for curls? SWEET, my gym doesnt have one, and DB's are nice tiny little handles as well :(

Im still playing with shrugs myself......uhm, side bends?

I love the thickbar. It's in the more hardcore gym (of 2 gyms) on campus @ UMD and it's amazing - a platform (dominated by powerlifters/strongman competitors/olympic lifters), 2 squat racks, a row of heavy dumbells, and the basics (benches, etc), but very few machines - which sounds small until you go there and see that there's maybe 10 people in there at any time and everyone is doing serious lifting. You can drop the weights too (and it's always loud) and no one says a thing - actually, the guys who work there are chill and friends with the major lifters (the one guy who is always there when I lift has been helping me out a lot).

Shrugs are kinda hard for me to figure out so far because I don't know how well I can grip the weights as I go up. I'm just working on my form for the time.

Side bends - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Obliques/DBSideBend.html

Alke
10-22-2003, 09:19 PM
I know what side bends are LOl, just wondered why you included them? I know its different for everyone, but I was under the impression they work the obliques too much and there comes a time when they can overpower the abs, and having thick obliques can create the illusoion of having fat on the side, even though they are muscle, so most people shy away from them.

I just hadnt seen anyone doing them in quite a while....., was there any reason in particular you are doing them?

EdgeCrusher
10-22-2003, 09:32 PM
I know what side bends are LOl, just wondered why you included them? I know its different for everyone, but I was under the impression they work the obliques too much and there comes a time when they can overpower the abs, and having thick obliques can create the illusoion of having fat on the side, even though they are muscle, so most people shy away from them.

I just hadnt seen anyone doing them in quite a while....., was there any reason in particular you are doing them?

ah, the powerlifters I'm working with think it's very important to have strong abs, and by looking at me, it's very clear my abs suck. They also do strong man and olympic lifting and are helping me get in shape to do that if I want. It's not bodybuilding really, but I suppose it's goal oriented.

Alke
10-22-2003, 09:45 PM
I can understand that bro', different goals. I pretty much focus on just the abs and let my hanging leg raises hit the obliques as collateral damage.

so what is your plan of attack for the abs themselves, and they probably dont suck as much as you think

EdgeCrusher
10-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Heh, I can do 8 decline crunches so far with no weight. It makes sense for my abs to suck though, as I have a lot of fat there (the main point where it's obvious) and I have just started on ab work for the first time ever.

I'm putting off a lot of the work on definition until I have strength that I should have at 230 pounds.

rookiebldr
10-23-2003, 12:15 AM

Dedicated
10-23-2003, 11:03 AM

ah, the powerlifters I'm working with think it's very important to have strong abs, and by looking at me, it's very clear my abs suck. They also do strong man and olympic lifting and are helping me get in shape to do that if I want. It's not bodybuilding really, but I suppose it's goal oriented.
Yea strong abs are important I think for those big olympic lifts. I do standing militaries and when I use heavier weight the abs play a really big role as stabilizers, I definitely feel them working. I think there are lots of olympic lifts where you hold the weight over your head like that. That gym you go to sounds awesome, I think it would be cool to learn all those olympic lifts.

EdgeCrusher
10-23-2003, 11:26 AM
After I have spent enough time working on the Squat, Bench, and Deadlift, I'll probably be moved towards an Olympic lifting routine because that's the main interest of the President of the group. I haven't felt my abs being worked on the standing OH press, but it's very possible.

On a side note, I've been noticing that I am getting some pretty large stretch marks on my shoulders - and they're not the marks from standing calf raises as I haven't done them in awhile.

aka23
10-23-2003, 11:27 AM

And I've been sick lately, except for during and after my workouts. I guess it's because my lungs are opening up and I'm breathing better.

2 grams of Vitamin C is probably 3300% of your RDA for Vitamin C. Athletes do need more Vitamin C than the average person, but I doubt that you would need anywhere near that much. Some studies suggest that an intake between 200 - 500 mg per day may be the most beneficial for healthy persons. A person can get this amount and many other useful micronutrients by increasing consumption of leafy green vegetables and fruits. I average approximately 500mg Vitamin C per day from diet alone.

Vitamin C is water soluble. Excess Vitamin C is excreted in the urine and not stored in the body. Toxic levels do not build up, so there are few side effects to large dosages. Some persons experience diarrhea, nausea or abdominal cramps at 600-1000mg, while others can tolerate 25,000mg without problems.

Some related links about the rumored benefits to Vitamin C megadosing are
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/colds.html
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pauling.html

EdgeCrusher
10-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks aka, the links at the bottom gave the impression that Vitamin C doesn't do anything to stop colds, and so I didn't pick up anymore Vitamin C than was in my multivitamin.

---

http://www.mybodycomp.com/members/bodycomp.asp?profileID=20027

Let me know if you can read this.

EdgeCrusher
10-24-2003, 08:05 PM
Friday - 10/24/03 - Workout #3 of Week #2 (but this is my first time doing this workout)

Deadlifts - 185 lbs, 5 sets of 3. The PL team brought a member to teach me and another guy how to deadlift, so we worked on my form for a long time (enough to get me winded). I was told to work on my Hamstrings, Abs, and to just keep working on the form.
Leg Press - 1ppsx10 | 2ppsx15 | 3ppsx10 | 3ppsx15
Close grip Bench Press (concentration on pausing as it hits my chest for about 2 seconds) - 95x5 | 135x5 | 185x5 | 185x5 | 185x5

Comments: I had to leave early to make a Government meeting, so I didn't have a chance to do Bent Rows, Abs, and another exercise that was left as a variable. The deadlifts were kinda rough because my form wasn't so hot. Leg Press was pretty decent, but I'd prefer to do more weight for less reps (but that wasn't what I was told to do). Close Grip Bench press was great. Considering that I had such a long pause and it was close grip, I expect my Bench (formally 185x8) to be a good bit higher Monday (thinking 10 to 20 pounds).

If you can't read the link in the post above, it's a list of my measurements and a BF of 18%. The head of the PL group said HE'S 17%, and so that's not as accurate - that I look more like 22%.

Alke
10-24-2003, 08:11 PM
wow, sounds like you had a great session. Glad to see that your working the deads a bit to get good form. Always good to get input on those from someone watching.

CGBP looks AWESOME! 185 with a pause is great bro....keep it up!

EdgeCrusher
10-27-2003, 05:03 PM
wow, sounds like you had a great session. Glad to see that your working the deads a bit to get good form. Always good to get input on those from someone watching.

CGBP looks AWESOME! 185 with a pause is great bro....keep it up!

Thanks Kenn, today was better :)

Monday 10/27/03

Workout #1 of Week #3

Squats: 95x5 | 135x5 | 185x5 | 185x3 | 165x5
Flat BB Bench: 95x5 | 135x5 | 195x5 | 200x5 | 205x2
Farmer's Walk: 75s around the gym | 85s around the gym
skipped hyperextensions as back was still sore.

I am very pleased with my benching today. I kept 5 as my max reps and I felt that if I wanted, I could definitely get a few more reps on the 195 bench and maybe 1 or 2 more on the 200. This is the first time I did more weight past my initial expectation, so I think 205x2 isn't so bad considering that I did 2 very heavy sets before that.

rookiebldr
10-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Awesome work on the benching. You've got that goal so ****ing nailed. It's time to set some new goals, dude.

:strong:

Scott S
10-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Nice. Now it's time to shoot for that 225. :thumbup:

EdgeCrusher
10-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys - I was shooting for my goal last night after two real hard sets and only got two, so I figure next week I have 205 easy. If I can keep my gains on the bench as high from week to week as they have been, then 225 is in 2-3 weeks :)

EdgeCrusher
10-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Wednesday 10/29/03 - Workout #2 of Week #3

I had 3 tests today, and slept through my workout time, so I didn't think I was going to lift today. Then, at 8 pm, I was asked to lift - and so I did.

New way of organizing journal: Weightxreps (+weight from last week, +reps from last week)

Standing OH Press: 45x5 (+0, +0) | 95x5 (+0, +0) | 135x5 (+10 , +0) | 135x2 (+10 , -3) | 115x5 (-10, +1) | 125x5 (new set)
Shrugs: 185x5 (+90, +0) | 205x5 (+0, +0) | 225x5 (+0, +0) | 215x2 (mediocre form) (+10 , -3) | 185x5 (new set)
Thick Bar Curls: 45x5 (+0, +0) | 55x5 (+10 , +0) | 60x5 (+10 , +0) | 65x5 (+10, +0) | 0x0 (dropped a set)
Dumbell Side Bends: 55x8 (+10 , +3) | 60x8 (+10 , +3) | 65x8 (+10 , +3) | 70x8 (+10 , +3)
Skipped Chin-ups

I think that either I had a poor workout today or I have come to the end of my "newbie gains" for workout #2.

EdgeCrusher
10-30-2003, 01:42 AM
BF/Measurements update -

http://www.mybodycomp.com/members/bodycomp.asp?profileID=20792

Height
70.00 in (1.78 m)
Weight
233 lbs (105.90 kg)
Neck
16.26 in (41.30 cm)
Shoulder
51.50 in (130.80 cm)
Chest
45.00 in (114.30 cm)
Waist
39.02 in (99.10 cm)
Abdomen
42.52 in (108.00 cm)
Hips
44.02 in (111.80 cm)
Thigh
28.74 in (73.00 cm)
Knee
17.01 in (43.20 cm)
Calf
17.24 in (43.80 cm)
Ankle
10.98 in (27.90 cm)
Arm
12.99 in (33.00 cm)
Forearm
11.73 in (29.80 cm)
Wrist
7.24 in (18.40 cm)

BF:
22.75 %

I have to seriously consider if I want to cut or bulk. Let me know your thoughts.

aka23
10-30-2003, 02:49 AM
BF: 22.75 %

I have to seriously consider if I want to cut or bulk. Let me know your thoughts.

It comes down to a matter of personal preference. 23% is likely to be well above your body's set point which will assist itself with the cutting process. You wil likely lose a larger percentage of fat and a smaller percentage of muscle than leaner persons. Some persons can even gain muscle while losing fat in such situtations, but they are often beginners or untrained persosn. Similarly, if you continue bulking you will likely gain a larger percentage of fat than an experienced lifter who is closer to their body's set point (but not well below it). In addition 23% percent BF is probably too high for optimal health, increasing the risk of numerous diseases. I would suggest cutting. However, if gaining strength and/or size is much more important to you than body composition, then you may wish to continue bulking.

SquareHead
10-30-2003, 06:05 AM

Deadlifts - 185 lbs, 5 sets of 3. The PL team brought a member to teach me and another guy how to deadlift, so we worked on my form for a long time (enough to get me winded). I was told to work on my Hamstrings, Abs, and to just keep working on the form.
*jealous!!!!!!!!

Coke
10-30-2003, 07:33 AM
You just ain't no small man period, the issue always seems to be the waist...stay in the gym is first on the agenda bro and you will be fine!

EdgeCrusher
10-30-2003, 10:20 AM
First off, I just remembered to include the fact those measurements are not only cold but unflexed.

Aka - Considering I'm relatively new (still) to lifting, if I do cut (which I think I probably should), what body fat % would you advocate where I don't start to lose a lot of strength and muscle? If I maintain at 2.5k-3k calories (not completely sure), how many calories would you say I should take in daily and for how long?

Squarehead - thanks - I expect my deadlift to go up a fair amount provided my form is good.

CoCoa - thanks :)

aka23
10-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Aka - Considering I'm relatively new (still) to lifting, if I do cut (which I think I probably should), what body fat % would you advocate where I don't start to lose a lot of strength and muscle? If I maintain at 2.5k-3k calories (not completely sure), how many calories would you say I should take in daily and for how long?

I think you should slowly adjust calories until you are losing rate at your desired rate. The slower you lose weight, the less likely you are to lose muscle. As a person gets leaner, it becomes more difficult to mobilize fat, and you are more likely to lose muscle. This becomes a more serious problem the farther below your bf set point you get. Your set point is dependent on genetics, training history, a host of other factors. Leaner persons might want to stay under 1lb per week to minimize muscle loss, while heavier persons might be able to get away with 1-2lb per week. I think a large portion of male recreational weghtlifters would want to cut to around 8-12%, but many others are outside of this range. Again it depends on genetics, training, and other factors. I would recommend adjusting your program as time goes on, depending on your results.

EdgeCrusher
10-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Well, I'm still not sure if I want to cut or bulk. I'd *like* to be 200 lbs or somewhere like that to look better, but as Rookie explained - I'm not a bodybuilder, but looking to powerlift.

Today was pretty decent I think.

Friday - 10/31/03 - Workout #3 or Week #3

Deadlift: 135x3 (-50, +0) | 185x3 (+0, +0) | 225x3 (+40, +0) | 225x3 (+40, +0) | 225x3 (+40, +0)

Leg Press: 2 pps x 8 (+1 pps, -2) | 3 pps x 8 (+1 pps, -7) | 4 pps x 8 (+1 pps, -2) | 4 pps x 8 (+1 pps, -7)

Close Grip Bench: 95x5 (+0, +0) | 135x5 (+0, +0) | 210x3 (+25, -2) | 185x5 (+0, +0) | 190x5 (+5, +0)

DB Rows: 45sx8 (new workout) | 45sx8 | 35sx8

Overall, this was a good workout. My deadlift form still needs work, as my butt needs to be lower, back needs to be straighter, and my shoulders need to be back more. I lowered the volume on the leg press and got one more plate each set, and was pretty happy with my close grip bench. I should note the close grip is with a 1-2 second pause at the bottom and that I meant to do 200 for 5 instead of 210 for 3, but I didn't add the weights up right.

rookiebldr
10-31-2003, 06:57 PM
Sweet deading dude.

Those close grip benching are awesome. And you are just starting out! Keep at it.

Coke
10-31-2003, 07:00 PM
lol, you are your own critic which leads to perfection bro -:thumbup: stay big, strong and powerful! - you can always cut (I think) - :)

aka23
10-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Nice workout. The deadlift, leg press, and close grip bench gains are impressive.

EdgeCrusher
10-31-2003, 09:19 PM
Rookie, CoCoa, and aka - thanks for the support.

So this is what I'm thinking right now in terms of cutting: Get up to 240 and then diet hardcore. I need all the help I can get in terms of what to eat (I'm eating vegetarian, not vegan right now), when, and how many calories. If you have some time and want to, please (PLEASE) give me a diet plan that I can do on a college campus that doesn't involve me eating meat (no chicken, beef, seafood, ostrich, etc). :)

rookiebldr
10-31-2003, 09:24 PM
Damn, ostrich too! I love teh ostrich.

EdgeCrusher
10-31-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
Damn, ostrich too! I love teh ostrich.

you tried it? I really liked it when I had my first ostrich burger.

rookiebldr
11-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Yup, I've tried it. It was roasted with a gravy of some sort. :drooling:

Good luck on the upcoming cut.

EdgeCrusher
11-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Thanks man. I'm gonna post the diet you sent me:

rookiebldr: 1 - protein shake (3 scoops), oatmeal - 472c 75p, 6f, 25c
rookiebldr: 2 - protein/carb shake in water (4 scoops) - 642c 54p, 10f, 84c
rookiebldr: 3 - veg lasagna 615c 20p, 33f, 53c (which I can sub for salad + bagel and cream cheese)
rookiebldr: 4 - rice, cheese (2 ounces) 472c, 17p, 18f, 57c
rookiebldr: 5 - post workout - protein/carb shake - 642cal 54p, 10f, 84c
rookiebldr: 6 - cottage cheese (1.5 cups) 240cal, 42p, 3f, 12c

Thanks man - I'm starting Tuesday after I pick up everything I need that's not in my cafeteria.

Scott S
11-03-2003, 10:58 AM
I think you should do the Belial thing. Get to a low bodyfat, then get really big and strong without getting fat again. Just my take.

EdgeCrusher
11-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Scott - I'd *like* to be strong, big, and cut as Belial, but I don't know what the best way of achieving this would be.

Monday - 11/03/03

Workout #1 of Week #4

Comments first, as this workout requires them: First off, this is the last day until I actually cut using rookie's diet plan. With that in mind, I ate whatever I wanted and ended up eating enough prior to workout to make me feel stuffed about 30 minutes prior to working out. Also, I was supposed to get my 1 rep max today on the bench, as I want to get a number to know my progression in the future and so I could compare it with a friends. Another thing I think that had an influence on my workout was the fact I received a paper (worth 15% of my grade) and got a 10/15 with the note: "This is almost incoherent." Finally, another thing that made a huge impact on today's workout was the fact that I boxed for 3 (30 second) matches and while I won (or at least tied, depending on who you talked to) all 3, I took a fair bit of punishment to my left side. No bruises, just soreness. Also, no colors and +/-'s today as this was an odd workout.

Squat - Did my warm-up of 135 and didn't have the flexability to get all the way down. I dropped the weight and just did about 5-10 minutes of form practice with the bar. I'll either skip the squat this week or do it Wednesday or Thursday.

Bench: 135x5 | 185x3 | 225x4 (I thought this was my max, but apparently not) | 250x0 (took a huge break and figured I had a shot, but lost it at the sticking point) | 235x1 (Current 1 Rep Max) | 185x3 (just because I felt I needed to make up for my failed 250 set)

Farmer's Walks: 75s around the gym | 85s around the gym except for 6 steps

No Hyperextensions

Static Holds - I added them to make sure I did at least 3 exercises today and I could use some more grip work. I took about 30 seconds between each set: 155 for 15 seconds | 155 for 15 seconds | 155 for 15 seconds | 155 for 15 seconds

Overall I am neutral for this workout. The bench was pretty cool only because I hit 225 for 4 and maxed out @ 235. Squats sucked, hyperextensions sucked, I went down in my 2nd(and last) set of Farmer's Walks, and Static Holds were decent, but I could do more if I took more time and didn't do other grip work beforehand.

Cut begins tomarrow. Cut is to last 41 days - which is 12/15/03 and with that, I go home for winter break, get my pinky finger broken and reset so it heals properly (I sprained it last year and it healed wrong) and I will be able to go back to lifting Spring Semester.

My goal, taking the overestimation of weighing 240 (so much water weight it's nuts) for tomarrow, is to get down to 220, which would be a 20 lb loss in 41 days. I imagine the first 5-10 will be quick and easy, getting down to 230 by losing water weight and dropping my calories by ~1-2k a day, while the final 10 will take the remaining 4 (I figure I'll be 230 after two weeks due to water weight loss) weeks.

Am I incoherent? (It's a known fact the teacher who told me my paper was incoherent does not like me though)

Dedicated
11-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Nice workout, bench is looking solid. I'm interested in seeing rookie's diet plan too.

What course was the paper for?
When I first started college and took English 1 I had my teacher tell me that my paper "****ing sucks" just like that. I felt really bad but I struggled and rewrote and it came out better. I'm not saying your paper was incoherent though lol. Just saying what happened to me hehe. Anyways I wouldn't sweat it, the only thing you can do is try harder next time.

EdgeCrusher
11-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Dedicated
Nice workout, bench is looking solid. I'm interested in seeing rookie's diet plan too.

What course was the paper for?
When I first started college and took English 1 I had my teacher tell me that my paper "****ing sucks" just like that. I felt really bad but I struggled and rewrote and it came out better. I'm not saying your paper was incoherent though lol. Just saying what happened to me hehe. Anyways I wouldn't sweat it, the only thing you can do is try harder next time.

The paper was for a program I'm in, called CIVICUS, and it widely known as worthless. It's called "Leadership in a Multicultural Society," but nothing is really done in it. I acknowledge there were run-ons and it was something I wrote the night before it was due, but I don't think I deserved an insult and a 10/15. I know a lot of kids got 11s and 12s, so the grade isn't low for what she gave, but it feels more like a slap in the face than anything else.

Rookie's diet plan is a few posts above. Pretty simple and I think it'll work well for me.

EdgeCrusher
11-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Just a thought - I am thinking of dropping my current routine as I am losing interest in any lift but the bench. I have seen that (not working just as heavy on legs as upper body) looked down upon, but I really enjoy benching more than any other exercise and my legs are more muscular (imo) than my upper body in comparison to other people. I'm going to look over the metal militia routine in detail and see what I can do without certain things.

EdgeCrusher
11-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Diet for 11/04/03

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=RobertMHaynes&Year=2003&Month=10&Day=4

Scott S
11-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Dairy!! :eek:

EdgeCrusher
11-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Dairy!! :eek:

Yeah, I think I posted earlier, but the Powerlifting guys convinced me that if I am serious about lifting, I need to incorporate dairy and egg into my diet. :)

EdgeCrusher
11-04-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm thinking of using the following routine until the end of the semester:

Monday:

Flat BB Bench: 2 Warm-up Sets, 5-7 sets of 3, 1 set of 5
Close-grip Bench: 2 Warm-up Sets, 5-8 sets of 3
Standing OH Press: 2 Warm-up Sets, 4 sets of 5
Lat Pulldowns: 1 Warm-up Set, 4 sets of 8
BB Shrugs: 2 Warm-up Sets, 4 sets of 10
Thick-bar Curls: 2 Warm-up Sets, 4 sets of 8
DB Side Bends: 4 sets of 10

Thursday:

Flat Bench: 1 Warm-up Set, 2 sets of 6, 2 sets of 5, 2 sets of 4, 2 sets of 3, 2 sets of 2, 2 sets of 1
Close-grip Bench: 2 Warm-up Sets, 5-8 sets of 3
Standing OH Press: 2 Warm-up Sets, 4 sets of 5
Lat Pulldowns: 1 Warm-up Set, 4 sets of 8
BB Static Holds: 5 sets for 10-20 seconds
Thick-bar Curls: 2 Warm-up Sets, 4 sets of 8
DB Side Bends: 4 sets of 10

Not that my previous routine was bad, it's just that I'm losing interest in Leg Work and I want to specialize in bench and get my grip better. I am going to try this for a few weeks and see how it turns out. Another good part of this routine is that when I go home on Fridays, I won't have to workout very early to make sure I get that day in.

ChampionLifter8
11-04-2003, 06:27 PM
good luck with the new routine is looks solid

Scott S
11-04-2003, 06:40 PM
BENCH-CURL JOCKEY!! :windup:

rookiebldr
11-04-2003, 07:04 PM
EdgeCrusher, I agree with them on the eggs and milk. Add them in and get use to counting the calories. There are alot of tweaking that can be done as you go a long.

Trying to get the bench up, eh.

*leaves rookie in his chalk dust.

If you can swing a leg day, I'd add it just to keep the strength up so that if you go back to the three lifts, you won't have lost any strength, just a thought.

EdgeCrusher
11-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
EdgeCrusher, I agree with them on the eggs and milk. Add them in and get use to counting the calories. There are alot of tweaking that can be done as you go a long.

Trying to get the bench up, eh.

*leaves rookie in his chalk dust.

If you can swing a leg day, I'd add it just to keep the strength up so that if you go back to the three lifts, you won't have lost any strength, just a thought.

I may very well add a leg day, but I think I'll see how this goes for one or two weeks. And you know you're crushing me in deadlifts, curls, and squats - so it's only bench I have an advantage for now.

Coke
11-05-2003, 08:40 PM
:hello:

I be checking things out from time to time and wish you well always...keep up the nice work bro!

Alke
11-05-2003, 09:29 PM
good luck with the new routine, it looks good bro'

thats hard not eating meat, but not impossible man. diet looks good and if you can take cottage cheese shovel the stuff in you LOL

you might want to consider alternating one week of 4 sets of 8 then the next week doing 3 sets of 8. this way you can go a bit heavier one week then lighter the next, giving yourself a bit more recovery time.

EdgeCrusher
11-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks CoCoa :)

And Kenn, that's a good idea - both the cottage cheese and the heavy and light alternating weeks. I've found cottage cheese to be one of the best foods besides my protein shake to eat and so I'm eating 1.5 to 3 cups of it a day. I'll try the alternating thing this week, Thursday being the heavy and next week being the light.

EdgeCrusher
11-06-2003, 06:49 PM
11/6/03 - Workout #2 of Week #1

Bench workout of ultimate death

Bench: 135x6 | 185x6 | 185x6 | 195x5 | 205x5 | 185x4 | 185x4 | 205x3 | 205x3 | 205x2 | 205x2

BB Static Holds: 155x15 seconds, 17 seconds, 21 seconds, 8 seconds

Thick Bar Curls: 55x5 | 65x5 | 65x5

And by that time, I realized I had to go out to dinner after working out for 2 hours and so I missed the rest. Also, I was tired as heck.

Coke
11-06-2003, 07:09 PM
...great bench work man! - :thumbup:

rookiebldr
11-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Bench of death! :eek: Nice benching and wicked curling, dude. Those thick bars are killers.

btw, when we hook up next week are we by any chance benching? ;)

EdgeCrusher
11-06-2003, 11:54 PM
When we do meet up rookie, there's a very strong possibility it will be a bench day :)

Thanks guys.

cphafner
11-07-2003, 01:36 PM
damn thats alot of benching, and very strong too!

Coke
11-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Damn, it looks like I am losin bro after bro - :D

j/k, don't let it go dude...I know you want to hit the beach next summer

EdgeCrusher
11-23-2003, 01:02 AM
lol. i am still hitting the gym, im just being lazy with my posting and writing stuff down.

update:

working set on the bench of 185-205 right now
squat a working set of 185-205
doing power cleans a fair amount, working with 135, but i expect quick gains b/c i just starting doing em.

I'll get back to posting my workouts. Thanks for the reminder CoCoa :)