PDA

View Full Version : Me at 19

chris mason
09-29-2003, 01:33 PM
I posted this 2-3 years ago. I was just looking at it and figured I would post it again.

This was the morning after the Teen Arizona contest. I was 19, so that would have been ~14 years ago (1989 I think). I weighed about 185 in the picture. I had dieted down from 220 lbs and was completely natural. I had lost the weight in only 6.5 weeks so I lost quite a bit of muscle.

The picture is a picture of a picture.

For anyone concerned, I had used an almost exact duplicate of a Mentzer program (not HIT, a program he himself used---4 days per week each bodypart twice per week for 2-4 sets per boypart) to get to that 220lbs at 19 after having only worked out for ~2 years.

BCC
09-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Lol. It looks like you're naked.

But, that aside, this is a picture I've wanted to see. You looked excellent (and still do.) Very well balanced and proportionate. Were you the same height then as now, or did you still grow a little more?

chris mason
09-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Nope, same height.

Actually, the picture of a picture didn't come out all that great. In the original you can see greater definition.

Thanks Chase.

As to the haircut, I wanted to have short hair for the show to de-emphasize my big head, so I cut it myself the night before (if I remember right).

-TIM-
09-29-2003, 02:02 PM
That's awesome. That's nuts to see guys that age looking like that. I wish I stuck with it when I was in high school.

Can you post a recent pic or post a link to one that's already on the site? Thanks.

JustinASU
09-29-2003, 03:08 PM
wow Chris, lookin like that at 19? Amazing. What kind of diet did you use to lose that large amount of weight in 6.5 wks?

Tryska
09-29-2003, 03:09 PM
i remember this pic. and chase is right..you do look nekkid in it.

fabulous - but nekkid.

CanadianFreak
09-29-2003, 03:29 PM
true...nice guns...wish I could see your chest back then though..

Scott S
09-29-2003, 03:44 PM
Nice. Do you have any other pics? Your arms were/are enormous. :thumbup:

SoulOfKoRea
09-29-2003, 03:52 PM
you look kind of like a Clark Kent in that pic... yeah and even back then you were impressive...

EdgeCrusher
09-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Nice dude, can we see a current one to compare?

chris mason
09-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Well, unfortunately I have no desire to shave the ol chest right now and I am just a tad fatter ;) .

I will get a shot up some time soon for comparison.

Justin, my diet was provided by Lance Dreher, a former Mr. Universe. I don't remember it exactly, but I will recount it as best as I can remember.

Breakfast: cream of wheat or rice boiled in water with some sweet and low for flavor. I want to say 2 cups of oats, but I am not sure.

I think I had a glass of skim milk as well.

Snack:
1 apple

Lunch:
Chicken breast and some boiled veggies.

Snack:
1 apple

Dinner:
Chicken breast with 1 potato and 1/2-1 cup of boiled veggies (actually microwaved frozen veggies).

I think I had one more piece of fruit for a snack before bed.

Lance was a calories kind of guy. He was not afraid of carbs and kept the fat very low. The total calories were right around 2000 for the bulk of the diet and that literally starved me. I was in ketosis after a short period on the diet due to the low calorie content and the fact that I did quite a bit of cardio and weightlifting. I remember that it got so bad toward the end of the diet that I would intentionally overcook the chicken to make it leathery so I could chew it longer. I also would chew my protein capsules (aminos). They were horrible tasting, but I had to chew something.

The calories were so low because I had to lose the weight fast. I decided to do the show too late.

Saint Patrick
09-29-2003, 05:25 PM
you sure got white and hairy since then :p

chris mason
09-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Well, I was just as white then. That picture just goes to show you what a little tanning and a lot of dy-o-derm (sp?) will do for you.

As for the hair, I wasn't quite as hairy then, but I did shave the bod.

Beast
09-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Looked great! Nice and defined.

You don't recall the exact Mentzer program, do you? I'd be interested.

Beast
09-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Oh, and post some pics of your not-so-natural days. :D

Silverback
09-30-2003, 08:18 AM
Damn @ 19 you looked fantastic, kinda reminds me of Arnold in his younger days, did you have any aspirations to turn pro? becuase im sure that you could of done.

Were you training your legs twice a week aswell? i only train mine once every 14 days and they grow like crazy under a routine not too dissimilar to HIT.

cheers for the pic, it was good to see :)

Reinier
09-30-2003, 12:11 PM
wow. thats cool

chris mason
10-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
Damn @ 19 you looked fantastic, kinda reminds me of Arnold in his younger days, did you have any aspirations to turn pro? becuase im sure that you could of done.

Were you training your legs twice a week aswell? i only train mine once every 14 days and they grow like crazy under a routine not too dissimilar to HIT.

cheers for the pic, it was good to see :)

Yes, at the time I had aspirations to turn pro but I then realized how much I would have to take in terms of drugs and changed my latitude so to speak.

Yes, at the time I trained legs twice per week with very low volume. I now train them less often (much).

Silverback
10-01-2003, 11:35 AM
lol @ latitude :)

I totally agree with you and in hindsight are you glad with the desions you made?

I probably won't stay natural, but when i do convert. I will try and do it right i.e. regular blood work, no abusing etc... makes more sense to me. Now im just trying to broaden my knowledge on the subject area.

thanks once again