PDA

View Full Version : Question about "starvation mode"

defcon
09-29-2003, 02:14 PM
hey, i was wondering how long you could consume say.. 1000 cals before you body starts wasting away and goes into starvation mode? say if your cutting, what if i ate at 1000 calories once every week to speed up the cutting process.. any huge dangers to this? or what.. we shall assume you have proper pre/ppost workout nutrition on the 1000 calorie day.

* waits for an answer form bradely * :)

Reinier
09-29-2003, 02:22 PM
dont do it

defcon
09-29-2003, 02:23 PM
i wasnt really planning on doing that.. im just a curious guy.. if you haven't noticed the other weir thread i started up :) anyone else got some info on this topic?

Reinier
09-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Btw you should have posted this on Diet And nutrition. I dont think anything special will happen except you will lose a lot of muscle that day

Trent_Steel
09-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Bodybuilding is about dedication and hard work, there are no easy short cuts that arn't going to damage your body, a good looking body is a healthy body, dont eat less than 1500 cal in a day or you will be sorry.tuttut

defcon
09-29-2003, 02:27 PM
oops, i mean to put this in the diet forum.. how cna i moveeeee it?!

Tryska
09-29-2003, 03:07 PM
you can't. but i can. :)

bradley
09-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by defcon
hey, i was wondering how long you could consume say.. 1000 cals before you body starts wasting away and goes into starvation mode? say if your cutting, what if i ate at 1000 calories once every week to speed up the cutting process.. any huge dangers to this? or what.. we shall assume you have proper pre/ppost workout nutrition on the 1000 calorie day.

* waits for an answer form bradely * :)

It would depend on different factors, such as bodyweight, bf%, setpoint, etc. If you were at a higher bf you would be able to get away with a more severe calorie deficit due, but as you got closer to your setpoint you would see a greater decrease in metabolic rate, due to decreasing leptin levels, etc.

For example, if your maintenance calories are 2,000 cals per day and you are currently at 15% bf, then you could probably get away with a couple of low calorie days before metabolic rate decreased significantly. This is the reason that the greater the calorie deficit, the more frequently you would need to refeed.

defcon
09-29-2003, 06:37 PM
okay, but would a person lose much, if any muscle in a short ( 1-2 days ) of very low 1000 calorie diet days?

Spartacus
09-29-2003, 07:50 PM
if i work out MWF, protein synthesis is basically over by sunday. so could i then cut back from 4k cal to 2k cal without doing any harm, and losing some fat?

i have been thinking about doing this actually

bradley
09-30-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by defcon
okay, but would a person lose much, if any muscle in a short ( 1-2 days ) of very low 1000 calorie diet days?

Depends on how 1000 calories relates to your maintenance intake, as stated above. If your maintenance calorie intake is 3000, then no I would not recommend dropping cals that low, but if it is 2000 then yes you could probably get away with 1-2 days at that calorie level.

Although with your calories set at 1000 per day, you will pretty much be taking in only the essential nutrients (protein and EFAs). This will also increase the frequency/duration at which you would need to refeed, assuming you are below your setpoint or <15%. I personally would not recommend going that low, but that does not mean that it can not be done successfully.

bradley
09-30-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Spartacus
if i work out MWF, protein synthesis is basically over by sunday. so could i then cut back from 4k cal to 2k cal without doing any harm, and losing some fat?

i have been thinking about doing this actually

Calorie cycling is not a new concept and there are many different ideas on how to go about it, but I doubt you will see any significant difference with one low calorie day.

Another approach would be to throw in some type of HIIT training a couple of days a week, which would increase nutrient partitioning without greatly affecting your recovery from your training. This would help steer those excess calories into the muscle and decrease the amount going to adipose tissue.

defcon
09-30-2003, 05:05 AM
Ight, but its true that on 1000 calories all you'd beable to get in in barely enough protein and EFA lol, i dun think i'll try that :P i'll rather stick to my mild calorie deficit :) but the calorie cycleing sounds interesting during a bulk maybe? o well, thanx for the info bradely

AllUp
09-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Yes DONT go verylow cal. I did and lost about 7.5lb/wk with walking 6mi/day@4mph. But I lost water-weight and muscle as well. Con's outweigh the pro's bigtime, Definitely not worth it. Just gradually lower the cals hehe.