PDA

View Full Version : how good is my diet?

Reinvented
09-29-2003, 03:03 PM
breakfast,
1mulitvitamin
2c skim milk
1c blueberries
1 tbsp olive oil
3 egg whites
1 whole egg
1/2c dry rolled oats 705 cals , 22g fat, 83g carbs, 42g protein

second breakfast (yes i am a halfling)
2 HB eggs
1 1/3 c Just Right cereal
1c skim milk
medium banana
1cup 1% cottage cheese
5g fish oil 807 cals, 21g fat, 100g carbs, 60g protein

Lunch
1 can tuna
2 tbsp Natty PB
2 slices of flax bread
1c 1% cottage cheese
4g salmon oil 727cals, 22g fat, 53g carbs, 75g protein

preworkout shake
1 scoop whey
1 scoop glycocarb 325cals 2g fat, 51.5g carbs , 24g protein

post workout shake same as preworkout plus 5g creatine

Dinner
1 cup beans/tomato sauce
2 cup of brocoli
6oz baked chicken breast
throughout the day i drink 7 litres of water
totals, are 3606cals, 85g fat, 409g carbs, 302g protein

i know the protein is a bit high.....

i weigh 208lbs, 14% body fat..... i run, play hockey, tennis, and lift 4 times a week.

looking to lose a bit of weight by eating maintenance calories and hoping that all my activities will equate some weight loss....

am i missing anything drastic in my meals? too me it seems like pretty clean eating?

is it ok, to substitute 500ml of my water say with gatorade powder just for some fun, i know my gatorade would add a few more cals and 33g carbs..?

but just something to drink other than water while at work....and not soon enough to be considered my preworkout drink

bradley
09-30-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Reinvented
looking to lose a bit of weight by eating maintenance calories and hoping that all my activities will equate some weight loss....

The food choices look fine to me, although you might have to adjust cals in order to see any weight loss.

is it ok, to substitute 500ml of my water say with gatorade powder just for some fun, i know my gatorade would add a few more cals and 33g carbs..?

You could go with a calorie free drink, such as Crystal Light or a diet soda instead of the Gatorade, but drinking a Gatorade is not going to be detrimental. It will add some calories, as you mentioned.

Reinvented
09-30-2003, 10:43 AM
is it ok to use raw eggs in my shakes? i currently use simply egg whites and one real raw egg....

are the raw eggs dangerous or less digestible ? I heard a rumour on this board in another thread, tho i can't locate it about raw eggs being bad for you.

bradley
09-30-2003, 12:53 PM
is it ok to use raw eggs in my shakes? i currently use simply egg whites and one real raw egg....

are the raw eggs dangerous or less digestible ? I heard a rumour on this board in another thread, tho i can't locate it about raw eggs being bad for you.

There is an increased risk of developing salmonella from eating raw egg whites, and only about 50% of the protein is digestable from raw egg whites. This is due to the protein avidin, which will bind to biotin and thus hinders the absorption of the protein. This can also lead to a biotin deficiency.

Reinvented
09-30-2003, 01:41 PM
ok, thanks for a better explanation of what i had read elsewhere.

from my above diet, you can see i don't eat a ton of meat, i eat a chicken breast and tuna.

instead of eggwhites and a raw egg in my shake would i be better off eating say 4 HB eggs over the course of the day?

i like my eggs and i am not worried about cholesterol or fat content of them b/c i don't eat alot of fat or meat as it is?

or is 4 eggs too many and are they better for you in hard boiled form

bradley
09-30-2003, 01:50 PM
from my above diet, you can see i don't eat a ton of meat, i eat a chicken breast and tuna.

As long as you are taking in enough protein over the course of the day (~1g per lb. of bw) you should be fine.

Have you considered using more protein powder instead of the eggs?

instead of eggwhites and a raw egg in my shake would i be better off eating say 4 HB eggs over the course of the day?

Yes, cooked eggs are better than raw eggs, but you do not necessarily have include eggs in your diet.

or is 4 eggs too many and are they better for you in hard boiled form

Four eggs is fine, and it really does not matter how you prepare them, as long as you do not add in an abundance of unecessary calories (oils, etc.).