PDA

View Full Version : No Carbs except right before and after Training????

kathnmarc
09-30-2003, 06:59 AM
I have just finished a bulking phase where I have made pretty good gains in muscle mass, but unfortunately, have made too much in the way of fat gain in the mid section too. I was thinking of doing something similar to cyclic ketosis, but a little different. I would like to skip carbs throughout the day on training days and no carbs at all on days off, but on training days (since I know carbs are so crucial for keeping mass) I would like to eat only enough carbs before and after my workout to support the workout itself and the anabolic phase for the 2 hours or so following training. Anyone have any opinions on this somewhat (in my head anyway) scientific approach???? If so, how many carbs would be minimal to keep mass, but lose this unsightly fat??????
Come on guys, I need tons of feedback here.

Thanks,
Marc

Paul Stagg
09-30-2003, 07:41 AM
what you are talking about is a TKD. I've used it, with some success.

I suggest you use dextrose (or some other simple high GI sugar, but NOT fructose) as your carbs. I ate Smarties candy. Some folks use Ultra Fuel.

I used 50g or so, about 30 minutes prior to trianing. I would then down 20-30g of protein (I used whey) immediatley after, then about an hour or so later, go back to meat and fat.

bradley
09-30-2003, 07:45 AM
This would basically be a targeted ketogenic diet (TKD) as Paul mentioned above

If you are going to perform TKD, the usual recommendation is ~50g of carbs taken preworkout, but you could always take in more. If you are planning to take in more than 50g then go with pre and post workout carbs.

The amount of carbs is really up to you, and in the end it will come down to calorie balance as to whether or not you lose weight.

I personally would leave your pre/post workout shakes alone and cut calories from other meals, especially when just beginning a cutting diet.

kathnmarc
09-30-2003, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Stagg
[B]what you are talking about is a TKD. I've used it, with some success.

I suggest you use dextrose (or some other simple high GI sugar, but NOT fructose) as your carbs. I ate Smarties candy. Some folks use Ultra Fuel.

I have heard the smarties candy thing before, remind me what element makes them the right choice for quick carbs. Why not any other candy? Just can't remember.

Scott S
09-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Smarties are made with dextrose and maltodextrin, not fructose like most other candy.