Black Ice 72
09-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Hey guys,

My stats right now:
182 lbs
16 years old
cutting
16.5% body fat

I decided maybe every week or two, I am going to fast on a random day. In this day I won't work out or do any strenuous activity besides a light jog. The day after the fast, I would eat on the "cheating" side to compensate.

Comment: I realize that if I fast, my body may store the food from the next day in fear that it might not eat again.

Questions: Is this a bad decision for me? Will I lose significant muscle mass if I do this occasionally?

I lift roughly 3 times a week. It is usually a full body each time. I have little time in between sets so I can keep my heart rate up. When I do heavy sets, I take more time so I can reach my muscles' potential.

I am not in much of a rush to lose weight, and I realize this may be risky. But, winter is coming, so I can take some risks with my body since I won't be showing much of it.

ALSO, A SIDE QUESTION FOR WHOEVER IS READING:

Considering my stats, would you recommend trying a low amount of creatine to help compensate for the muscle loss during my dieting? If so, how much and how often.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Alec

donescobar2000
09-30-2003, 03:03 PM
I used to do this and I was still seeing results. I dont see a prob with it. Although some may argue. Another thing you can do is on a day you want to treat yourself substitute by eating the leanest protiens i.e eggwhites, shakes and let your cheat food compensate for you daily fat and carbs. Sound reasonable???

Black Ice 72
09-30-2003, 03:08 PM
I follow what you are saying, and it seems reasonable. I'm just playing around with different dieting ideas. I have hit the oh-so-familiar mark where dieting is not quite effective anymore and you have to mix it up.

Thanks for the reply,
Alec

donescobar2000
09-30-2003, 03:45 PM
I understand I have done some crucial thinking on how to incorporate some cheat meals. Dieting does get boring after a while.

bradley
09-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Black Ice 72
[B]I decided maybe every week or two, I am going to fast on a random day. In this day I won't work out or do any strenuous activity besides a light jog. The day after the fast, I would eat on the "cheating" side to compensate.

Comment: I realize that if I fast, my body may store the food from the next day in fear that it might not eat again.

Questions: Is this a bad decision for me? Will I lose significant muscle mass if I do this occasionally?

I don't see any benefit to fasting, and if you only plan on doing this occasionally then why not just have a cheat day/cheat meal every once in a while?

I doubt you will lose a significant amount of muscle, but catabolism would be an issue. Another important thing to remember is that leptin will already be dropping due to calorie restriction, and fasting will just serve to "bottom it out," so to speak.

Considering my stats, would you recommend trying a low amount of creatine to help compensate for the muscle loss during my dieting? If so, how much and how often.

Creatine would be beneficial while cutting, due to it's effects on muscle cell volume. Just go with ~5g post workout, along with some carbs and protein.

I have hit the oh-so-familiar mark where dieting is not quite effective anymore and you have to mix it up.

Have you considered incorporating refeeds, instead of this fasting/binging idea?

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

EdgeCrusher
09-30-2003, 04:49 PM
If you like muscle, don't fast.

Black Ice 72
09-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Thanks a lot for your reply. I read the article in the link and it was very insightful.

I think I have an idea about my new diet routine.

Thanks again,
Alec