PDA

View Full Version : Question about fat gain/loss.

defcon
09-30-2003, 06:32 PM
Okay.. well you know how peoplke usually say 3500 cals = 1lb, and if your have a 500 defecit every day for a week you should lose appox 1 lb right.. well what if i ate 3500 cals over maintnaice in a span of a day, would you gain a lb? or would you $hit out some of those calories.. or would the thermo effect of breaking down the food reduce the amount of it to be stored... if you know what im trying to say then can you give me any info if you have any.. if you want me to TRY to explain better you can also tell me that :P

Jasonl
09-30-2003, 06:40 PM
from what i can tell, that would be like a cheat day or something, i don't think one day would really make much of a difference, but i may be wrong.

defcon
09-30-2003, 06:43 PM
but if you think about it, a cheat day that is 3000 over your maitnaice, can possibly set you back 6, 500 calorie deficit days.. that is a lot of extra cutting to do just for one cheat day.

donescobar2000
09-30-2003, 07:06 PM
I always asked myself this quesion.

defcon
09-30-2003, 07:09 PM
so have i lol, come on bradely, get your azz to the computer and show us studies! :) we crave they great divine's advice.

Y2A
09-30-2003, 07:33 PM
Im pretty sure you absorb it all, if you go 3500 cals over maintenance, youll lose a week of work. Could be wrong tho.

Bryan
09-30-2003, 07:35 PM
I think the body can/will only give or take 500 calories/day.

Y2A
09-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Bryan
I think the body can/will only give or take 500 calories/day.

Thats not true. People do crash diets and lose weight quick, 3-4-5 lbs a week, which is more than 500 cals a day. I assume if you ate enough you could gain 3+ pounds a week too.

bradley
10-01-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by defcon
Okay.. well you know how peoplke usually say 3500 cals = 1lb, and if your have a 500 defecit every day for a week you should lose appox 1 lb right.. well what if i ate 3500 cals over maintnaice in a span of a day, would you gain a lb? or would you $hit out some of those calories.. or would the thermo effect of breaking down the food reduce the amount of it to be stored... if you know what im trying to say then can you give me any info if you have any.. if you want me to TRY to explain better you can also tell me that :P

Just because you eat 3500 calories above maintenance in one day, does not mean that you will gain 1lb. The body will increase things such as metabolic rate, non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), etc. in response to the large amount of calories being consumed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11310775&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9880251&dopt=Abstract

Don't get me wrong, it is possible to gain fat over the course of one day, but this would depend on the individual and the amount of calories consumed.

Your body is very effecient, so the idea that the body will excrete more calories due to the large intake is not accurate.

defcon
10-01-2003, 04:27 AM
in other words, you'd havve to have 2 of these wicked high cal days to ruin your whole cutting week :P So for al of those cutting ( including myself ) DO NOT HAVE A FREAKING CHEAT DAY CUZ they suck! :p HAVE A REFEED INSTEAD :)

Bryan
10-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Thats not true. People do crash diets and lose weight quick, 3-4-5 lbs a week, which is more than 500 cals a day. I assume if you ate enough you could gain 3+ pounds a week too.

Most of that weight is water/glycogen(sp?) no?

bradley
10-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Bryan

Most of that weight is water/glycogen(sp?) no?

The initial weight gain/loss would be water, but it is possible to increase or decrease your weight by 3+ pounds per week if you continued at that calorie intake.