PDA

View Full Version : Low GI carbs High GI carbs

WorkinForSize
09-30-2003, 07:17 PM
I'm new to the tech side of lifting as far as diet is concerned but have to change this to get better results. I weigh 165 and am looking to gain some LBM looking for someone to explain Low GI carbs and high and give me some food sources for both. Also if you could give me an idea of total calorie intake and a ratio of carbs to protein and Essential fatty acids. Thanks for any :help:

bradley
10-01-2003, 02:11 AM
Low GI carbs will cause a more subtle increase in blood sugar levels, as compared to high GI carbs which will cause a more sharp increase in blood sugar levels.

low GI carbs- oats, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruit, beans

high GI carbs- dextrose, maltodextrin, white bread, white rice, processed snack foods

For more information on the glycemic index you can check out the link below.
www.glycemicindex.com
www.mendosa.com

To determine your daily calorie intake, just determine how many cals you are currently eating each day, and you can use www.fitday.com to help you determine this. Next, slowly increase your daily calories in small increments until you are gaining a small amount of weight each week (.5-1lb. per week).

Take in ~1g of protein per lb. of bw, and ~25% of your daily cals should come from fats (healthy sources). Good sources of fat would include fish oil, flaxseed oil, olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc. The rest of your cals can come from carbs and/or fat. Some people prefer a higher carb intake, while others prefer more fat. This is something that you will have to play around with and determine for yourself what yields the best results.