PDA

View Full Version : Toughest man in the world's routine

Bruise Brubaker
09-30-2003, 08:53 PM
I've decided to start again posting what I do on WBB.

My main goal for now is strength, and most of what I do is geared toward it.

I've recently began to not train most of the time to faillure.

A typical chest day will look like this:

Dumbell Bench Press for 5 sets of x reps, or x sets of y reps + z sets of a reps, x+y=5.

This seemed to have worked very well for me since I do it. I'm less sore (recuperation is easier), I progress more. I train very often, almost everyday, which occasional pause of 2 days when I feel I need it (in fact it's always when I have more important things to do -school- or when I work).

So,

Day1: DB Bench Press for 5 sets
Day2: DB Row for 5 sets
Neutral grip chin-ups for 5 sets
Day3: Front Squat for 5 sets
Occasional deadlift, usually maxing

And I occasionally throw abs/obliques/erectors work, and exercices like cleans or 1-hand dumbell snatches.
Grip work too. Mainly static holds

Bruise Brubaker
09-30-2003, 08:53 PM
Here is what I did on SEPTEMBER 29th:

DB Bench Press: 95s*3,3,3,3,3

On the last set I tried a 4th rep and almost got it, maybe would have gotten it without an improvised spotter who helped me (generous but unwanted thing). If I can't lift it, it won't all of a sudden fall on my face.

Did 2 sets of db snatches:

60s*5, 65s*5

A rep is a snatch with an arm followed by a snatch with the other arm. I don't start on the ground so you could consider it a power snatch. I could do more but I'm getting used to the exercise, I wouldn't want to throw an heavy dumbell across de gym.

I'm thinking of doing this one day as GPP work, sets of 20 reps must be very exhaustive. Grip might be a limiting factor tough.

Bruise Brubaker
10-02-2003, 08:12 PM
OCTOBER 2ND:

Weight: 89 kg, --> 196 lbs

DB Row 100s*6,6,6,6,6
Chins 7,5,5,5

Did this last time
[DB Row 100s*5,5,5,5,6
Chins 7,7,7,6,6]

Did a set of Barbell bench press, as to test it since it's been a very long time since I last bb bench pressed. Last personnal record was 235*3, and today I did 225*3, could have done more but didn't want to do it to faillure. So let's say I could do 225*4, this is very close to 235*3, so for me it shows in fact progression since within a few bb bench sessions my strength on this movement would explode.

DB Snatch: 65*5, 70*5

Reinvented
10-02-2003, 10:20 PM
good luck to you, keep on lifting :spam:

Bruise Brubaker
10-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Stop that jibba jabba fool!

Thank you :)

Today OCTOBER 4TH

Front Squat 225*3,3,3,3,3,235*1
DB Snatch 75s*2

I do that last rep on Front Squat with heavier weight just to get a feeling of it.

Shoulder strength is becoming a limiting factor on those db snatch. My technique isn't perfect so I rely on my shoulders and triceps to do the end of the movement. I should probably begin to do them in a more powersnatch style.

Bruise Brubaker
10-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Today OCTOBER 6TH

Monday is always my "core" day, where I randomly do some abs (abs machine than can go to interestingly high resistance), obliques (side bends) and lower back (machine similar to the abs one).

Core progress = better deadlift = I will see it on next deadlifting session.

Scott S
10-06-2003, 09:19 PM
:spam:

Nice rowing. The low reps/high sets approach sounds interesting. Do you move up in weight when you can get 6 reps for all your sets?

Bruise Brubaker
10-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Thank you.

I'd move in weight if only my gym had bigger dumbells, after the 100s there are 120s and 140s, I don't understand their utility.

Ideally I'd move in weight everytime I think I would be able to do at least 5 sets with the heavier weight, with sets of 2 or 3 reps.

Bruise Brubaker
10-08-2003, 08:48 PM
OCTOBER 8TH

DB BENCH PRESS

95s*4,3,2,1 4 sets only
No progress, it's in fact less than last time. It is acceptable for some reasons, i.e. nutrition and fatigue.

Did some powersnatches and powercleans. I need to structure my routine with a specific day where I do powersnatches, db snatches and powercleans, now I'm purely going by instinct.

Then did a tricep pushdown dropset. I didn't do this movement for a long time and I did better than last time. I feel that when training for strength you get more versatile strength than when training in higher reps ranges. By versatile I mean strength that is less specific to a certain exercise.

Bruise Brubaker
10-09-2003, 07:28 PM
OKTOBER IXTH

DB Row 100s*7,7,7,7,7

It is very easy to progress on this exercise. Also, fatigue has less influence on the number of reps. When training to faillure, (looking in my log) I could by example do 6,5,4 reps while on DB Press I'd do 6,4,2 reps. I think it's mainly because of the movement of the shoulder, involving mainly the traps, which are endurant muscles, and also they give a lot of speed at the bottom of the movement. On the bench you do not have as much shoulder involvement (mainly serratus anterior), but you trade this with more stability.

Chins 7,7,7,7 all those 7s should make me feel lucky

Some static holds, but grip was weaker due to the other exercises. I just tough of a new way to train grip, I could do "reps" by holding the weigth counting 1 then releasing it (squat rack security things used by curl jockeys) and doing multiple reps like that instead of always fighting against time. I might try that.

By the way when I write all that it's mainly my reflexions, I think about it and write it at the same time, it's a way to summarize my toughs so I can reorganize them in my brain and drop the unuseful. I don't even care if anybody read me, I mainly do it for me ;)

Bruise Brubaker
10-10-2003, 08:55 PM
OKTOBER XTH

DAEDLIFF:

My warm-up is always very similar:

135*3,185*3,225*3,275*2,315*1,365*1

Then 405*1

And maxing at 430*1,435*1

PR beaten by 10 pounds!

I feel like I could do more but I really prefer small increases that let my tendons and cie. adapt. 10 pounds is an increase of 2,35%.
If I keep a similar progress forever, it gives the equation y=435*1.0235^(12t) where t is the time in years. So in 13 years, when I'll be 30, I'll be deadlifting 16 300 pounds.

By the way I use straps.
Tough, if someone ask how much I deadlift, I'll answer what I deadlift strapless or specify otherwise.

Bruise Brubaker
10-12-2003, 03:18 PM
OKTOBER XIITH

DB BENCH PRESS: 95s*4,4,4,3,3

Aiming for 5 sets of 4 reps next time.

DB Snatch 65s*2,70s*2,75s*2,80s*1,1,1,1,1

I like this exercise very much. Tried the 85s but couldn't do a full rep. As I use heavier weight maybe I'll change my technique by dropping my body to catch the dumbell like a real snatch.

Bruise Brubaker
10-13-2003, 09:50 PM

DB Row 100s*7,7,8,8,8
Chins 5,6,7

I want a pull-ups bar at home so I'll drop them completly from the workout and do them everyday with the ultimate goal of single arm pullups.

Cleans:

Hang cleans 135*4
165*2
185 failed
Clean 185*1

The weight felt heavy in my hands, because of grip fatigue (I grip the bar very tighly on rows).
Stopped doing cleans regularly for a while, my technique wasn't as good (feeling as natural) as it used to be. My main problem is that I have trouble dropping under the bar, I tend to just power the weight. The problem with a movement like cleaning is that if you try to learn it with light weight, the weight will be too light to be doing the real movement (too easy to use more shoulders or biceps), and with a heavier weight you can't think as much about details in the form.

Bruise Brubaker
10-15-2003, 12:56 PM
I just realized it's been it's been 11 days since I last trained my legs. No wonder why they aren't as big as I'd want them to be.

I've been thinking lately of training chest and back on the same day so I'd have a 2 days routine which would let me train the same muscles more often.

Actually I'm almost training everyday and I'm "only" training each muscles twice a week on a very low volume routine, I think I can do much more than that since I'm 17 and full of natural hormones.

Bruise Brubaker
10-15-2003, 02:51 PM

Front Squats: 235*3,3,3,3,3

Very satisfying results. Form wasn't as good on last set tough (shoulders dropping a little forward, the posterior chain is used a little more while I want to keep my back vertical to the floor).

Clean and power press:

135*2,155*1,165*1,175*1,185*fail (cleaned it easily).

I discovered that I'm much better doing cleans after having front squatted, my form is much better and the weight feels light in my hands.

One of my goals I really want to reach is to take 225 off the floor and push it overhead. But I can't jerk it, it would be too dangerous and I would have broken too many plates! Cleaning it will be piece of cake, I have mainly to work on pressing it. I'd like to do it by XMas but this is almost impossible (yet nothing is impossible).

Bruise Brubaker
10-17-2003, 02:36 PM

DB BP: 100s*2,1,1,1,1,1,1

DB Snatch 80*1,1,1,1,1,1,1
85*1

Tricep Pushdowns: kinda random, lotsa reps

Bruise Brubaker
10-18-2003, 06:18 PM
I'll stop posting in my journal for a while, I'll come back with further progress.

Scott S
10-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Umm, okay. *I* read it, in case you thought nobody does. :p

Bruise Brubaker
10-19-2003, 10:53 AM
:p

My objective with my thread is to show a routine for strength goals, and it is me experimenting this routine.

So I do not see the need to post what I do, I still keep a personnal log though.

(By the way, my language might look weird sometimes, it's because English isn't my maternal language.

Bruise Brubaker
10-20-2003, 06:47 PM
I did a BF test today, using a device (I dunno how this technique is called) that pinch a few places on the body (tricep, bicep, love handles and upperback) and then using a chart you get your BF.

The result was about 15%.

Scott S
10-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Maybe you could do "Belial rows" as you move between heavier DBs.