PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Pre/Post workout shakes

Theroc
10-01-2003, 10:11 AM
whats your opinion on whats better for you?

Dextrose/Malto mix and whey

or

Oatmeal "cooked" and whey

or

1/2 of each above and whey

I read a pretty good debate on another forum about this.
Some of the cons of the dextrose/malto mix was the constant insulin spiking could cause "insulin sensitivity (or desensitive??)

Anyway one of the posters mentioned that the oatmeal will still boost insulin but not a spike and the spike isnt important its the BCAA's that start the glycogen refills.

Any opinions.

Thanks,
Roc

bradley
10-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Theroc
whats your opinion on whats better for you?

Dextrose/Malto mix and whey

or

Oatmeal "cooked" and whey

or

1/2 of each above and whey

As far as pre workout I really do not think it will matter that much, as long as you take into account the time needed for digestion and absorption. For example, if you are using oats (low GI) you would want to consume this earlier as compared to a dextrose/malto mix. This would make sure that glucose was available when it is needed by the body.

I think high GI carbs would be more anabolic post workout, due to the effects that insulin will have on cortisol. A sharper increase in insulin will blunt the effects of cortisol, and cause the body to be in a more anabolic environment. Although I think amount of carbs consumed around your training is just as important as the type of carbs consumed. You want to make sure that you are taking in enough carbs to restore depleted muscle/liver glycogen stores.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1901662&dopt=Abstract
"Also, increases in muscle glycogen content during the first 4 to 6 hours after exercise are greater with ingestion of simple as compared with complex carbohydrate. "

I read a pretty good debate on another forum about this.
Some of the cons of the dextrose/malto mix was the constant insulin spiking could cause "insulin sensitivity (or desensitive??)

There are other factors that will contribute to insulin resistance, above and beyond just consuming an excessive amount of high GI carbs. Even though this is one of the causes, I would need to see some hard evidence that one insulin spike per day will lead to insulin resistance. If you consume high GI carbs preworkout you should not see a sharp increase in insulin, due to the effects of the catecholamines on insulin.

Other contrinuting factors would be genetics, saturated fat intake, and bf%.

Anyway one of the posters mentioned that the oatmeal will still boost insulin but not a spike and the spike isnt important its the BCAA's that start the glycogen refills.

I am not disputing the fact that low GI carbs will refill muscle glycogen, and studies have shown that carbs and protein will cause an increase in the amount of glycogen stored post workout. Altthough as mentioned above, high GI carbs will have a more anabolic effect.