PDA

View Full Version : Variation in SLDL's

-TIM-
10-02-2003, 09:43 AM
I was looking at the site everybodies posts that shows how to do exercises. And they have SLDL and another type where you do the same thing but keep your back straight and don't let it round on your way down. This is how I do them. They both stated they worked the same thing and targeted only hams. But the first was listed as a compound exercise and when you kept your back straight it was classified as a isolation exercise. What's the difference? How does keeping your back straight instead of rounding it change the exercise?

Thanks

Anthony
10-02-2003, 09:50 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but to my knowledge rounding your back is one of the best ways to achieve injury.

Max-Mex
10-02-2003, 12:24 PM
:withstupi

Keep your back straight all the time. Any partial DL (SLDL, RDL) is going to work the same muscles. Hams, butt/hips, lower back, spinal erctors and traps. The only difference I see with SLDL & RDL is how much your butt/hips affect the lift.

Delphi
10-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Maybe you're thinking of Romanian deadlifts, where you don't go all the way to the ground. If somebody has flexibility issues they would be more likely to round the back, the further down they went. With Romanian deads that would be less likely to occur.

You can also do deads in a rack with the safety bars set to catch the bar about midway down the shins. There's also a kind of deadlift where you go down about that far and back up, as quickly as possible, for reps. There's some guy's name given to it, but I can't think of the name right now. Heise?

PowerManDL
10-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Dimel deadlifts.

Delphi
10-02-2003, 08:03 PM
That's it. Heise has some shrugs named after him- shrugging with the barbell on your shoulders like it is for squats.

-TIM-
10-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Anthony
Maybe I'm missing something here, but to my knowledge rounding your back is one of the best ways to achieve injury.

That's exaclty what I thought. The instruction and visuals were disturbing. I'll see if I can find the links so you guys can see for yourself.

-TIM-
10-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Back is rounded (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html)
Back kept straight (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html)

I guess looking at them, the first one shows the guy going to his feet. The second one has the guy stopping about a foot before his feet. Any thoughts???

Max-Mex
10-03-2003, 08:48 PM
I've read some articles about it being ok to round your back, but my philisophy is, why take a chance? You can still work your lower back by keeping you back straight.

-TIM-
10-04-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Max-Mex
I've read some articles about it being ok to round your back, but my philisophy is, why take a chance? You can still work your lower back by keeping you back straight.

Well yeah, but aren't SLDL more of a hamstring exercise?

PowerManDL
10-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Don't round your back. You can't use as much weight and yes, you're just waiting to get hurt.

Max-Mex
10-05-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Tim Nissen

Well yeah, but aren't SLDL more of a hamstring exercise?

I consider both of them, SLDL and RDL, to be more hamstring exercises. Well, that's how I use them. Lowerback and erectors are just along for the ride.

Delphi
10-05-2003, 08:35 AM
SLDLs hit my hammies more than BLDLs do. The entire posterior chain is hit pretty hard by either. I'd say the erectors are doing more than just tagging along for the ride. :)

-TIM-
10-05-2003, 09:11 AM
I feel alot in my erectors, but I'm 6'3" so my back plays a big part in my deads of any style.

Just a side note, I used to have horrible low back trouble. But ever since I've added deads (5 months ago) I haven't had a single problem with my back. The muscles are strong and my spine seems to be holding in place extremely well.

Delphi
10-05-2003, 12:04 PM
I hear ya. I think most of my back problems were due to underdevelopment of the musacles. Deads helped. Now I'm doing hypers, reverse hypers, goodmornings and glute-ham raises (still cheating with push-offs at the bottom). I can't remember the last time my back hurt.