PDA

View Full Version : strength and strength only

enerchi
10-02-2003, 02:43 PM
hi guys i need some info on how to train for strength, because im all about fighting. but i am an angel i dont do evil things. i also want to try doing lots of cardio. but i want strength but not size i dont want a bodybuilders body, no offence everyone ,but this is the best forum i have found for getting real information because magazines and mainstream cannot be trusted in my book.

Ja113
10-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Couple of suggestions...

Use big compound movements like squats, cleans, deads, benches and rows....

Do some speed work (helps with explosive power)

Use a weight that let's you get anywhere from 4 - 6 reps (the heavy weights and lower weights GENERALLY work strength although you may have to experiment a bit with that).

Isaac Wilkins
10-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Ja113
Couple of suggestions...

Use big compound movements like squats, cleans, deads, benches and rows....

Do some speed work (helps with explosive power)

Use a weight that let's you get anywhere from 4 - 6 reps (the heavy weights and lower weights GENERALLY work strength although you may have to experiment a bit with that).

Yeah, this is a good suggestion. You may even want to move to the 1-3 rep range, though watch out for wear and tear on your CNS.

Look into West Side training, with some modifications it can work very well for athletes. It incorporates many things that Ja said (max effort, speed, etc) as well as coordination and weak-point identification and strengthening.

Also strongman style training could be very effective for you.

Ja113
10-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Ditto what Borris suggested!

benchmonster
10-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Get Pavel Tsatsouline's books. He is all about functional strength, and not building muscle for looks. Pavel knows a thing or two about training fighters too.

B.

PowerManDL
10-03-2003, 12:31 PM
I'd second that.

Most of Pavel's writings focus on using multiple sets of 5 reps or less, avoiding failure. He's a big fan of the "basic" moves, Olympic lifts, and odd-lift moves, such as kettlebells and strongman training.

Definitely worth a read.

Meat_Head
10-05-2003, 10:28 PM
If you pick on exercise from each of these groups and get really strong in it, you will be mucher bigger and much functionally stronger:

1) Any version of deadlifts, cleans, or heavy heavy rows
2) Squats, front squats, zercher squats, hack squats
3) Overhead press, seated, standing, push press, or jerk
4) Pullups or lighter, more form specific rows
5) Heavy power curls, shrugs, and dips