PDA

View Full Version : reverse hypers?

synthetic
10-05-2003, 02:36 PM
what are these?

DK
10-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Here is the direct exercise description from elitefts.

This exercises is regarded by many strength coaches as being the best lower back, hamstring, and glute exercise. This is because it allows you to train all these muscles in unison. This is important because these muscles of the posterior chain are the same muscles responsible for running and jumping. This is performed on a special bench invented by Louie Simmons of westside barbell club. This exercise is also being use for rehabilitation purposes for those with back problems or herniated disks. This is because the bench decompresses the disks when the weights are in the midpoint position. To perform this exercise, there is a strap the wraps around your ankles. You jump on the bench with your face down. your entire torso is supported by the bench. This allows for your legs to hang down at a 90-degree angle. You perform the movement by contracting your glutes and raise you legs up to a horizontal position. At this point you try to contract your glutes and lower back as tight as possible. Then you lower the weight past the 90-degree starting point to a position where you ankles are in alignment with your head. This is the point where the disks are stretched apart to allow fluid to enter the joints.

I built a reverse hyper and am using it to rehab my lower back from a bulging disc. I'll post some pics of it later.

DK
10-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Here's a link for a good RH for cheap. I made one and it works very well.

http://www.fortifiediron.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=5421&hl=made+a+rh

The attachment is a pic of the reverse hyper from elitefts that costs around $800.

twisteddendrite
10-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Is this helping your back? Do you know if the disc is bulging anterior or posterior or laterally? I have a bulging lumbar disc also.

FortifiedIron
10-08-2003, 02:32 PM
thats a great hyper.

Kc

Deciever
10-09-2003, 01:57 PM
i built a reverse hyper like the one in the picture... just with a few modifications and reinforcements.

DK
10-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by twisteddendrite
Is this helping your back? Do you know if the disc is bulging anterior or posterior or laterally? I have a bulging lumbar disc also.

Yeah, I think it is helping some. I've only been using it for about a week now. I can really feel the blood pumping threw my low back when I'm done, almost like I'm taking pressure off of the disc. My disc protrusion is posteriorly and laterally. It sucks. I haven't been able to squat or deadlift since June 22. It sucks.

Disc protrusion posteriorly and laterally to the left at L5-S1 and associated encroachment upon the SI nerve root on the left.