PDA

View Full Version : protien shake BEFORE morning cardio??

mstar
10-06-2003, 07:49 AM
hello ppl, i want to lose some BF (dnt we all) but one thing that confuses me is that people keeping saying morning cardio is the BEST way to tap into storage of fat. MY question is i train 3 days and cardio 2 days, my body has been fasting from last nights workout, so they need some food+protien first thing in the morning (so i dnt go catabolic) is it good to go and have a cardio session when i wake up? OR take a protien shake wait say 30-60 mins then do my cardio (so i dnt lose muscle tissue and help recovery from workout before??)

Also how important is having a protien shake before weight lifting anyway? i want to lose BF so i read elsewhere you want ur last meal 2-3 hrs before you train is that right (i wnt name the site)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

in summary:

Protien shake before morning cardio or not? to lose BF
and protien shake before weight training/cardio to lose BF?

TheGimp
10-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Don't do the cardio on an empty stomach when you wake up, its a bad idea in terms of catabolism. Definately eat something, but I think you'll need some carbs to go with the protein so you have energy for your cardio. Do you have a protein shake before you go to bed?

WillKuenzel
10-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Even when contest dieting, I'd still have a small protein and carb shake before doing morning cardio. About 15g protein and 25-30g of carbs about 30 minutes before starting the cardio. This seemed to work best for me anyways.

bradley
10-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by mstar
Protien shake before morning cardio or not?

I really do not see the advantage of performing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Sure you might mobilze a little more fat, but the increased risk of muscle catabolism outweighs the benefits IMO. I would recommed taking in a small amount of calories (whey+carbs or whey) and then perform your cardio. You are still going to be burning calories whether or not you consume a shake or not, so I think it is only practical to try and make sure that you do not catabolize any muscle tissue. Also I have found that intensity tends to suffer when trying to perform cardio on an empty stomach, which would be another advantage to taking in a small amount of calories.

Unless you are trying to mobilize stubborn bf, I think drinking a whey shake would be a good choice before performing cardio.

and protien shake before weight training/cardio to lose BF?

Taking in a pre-workout shake (carbs+protein) has been shown to be beneficial. By providing the body with nutrients before training, you are making sure that the body has nutrients available when it needs them, and this has led many to claim a pre-workout shake is just as important as a post workout shake. Just think of a pre-workout shake as getting a "head start" on post workout recovery.

mstar
10-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the response i really appreciate it.
Question is how long should i wait until i do my cardio in the morning? after my protien drink?

(also is it wise to have a carb+protien drink OR just protien drink? before my morning cardio)?? my logic is if i want to lose BF maybe not have carbs??? as i want to tap into my stored BF whilst doing my cardio

bradley
10-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by mstar
Thanks for the response i really appreciate it.
Question is how long should i wait until i do my cardio in the morning? after my protien drink?

I would just drink the shake ~30 minutes before your cardio session.

(also is it wise to have a carb+protien drink OR just protien drink? before my morning cardio)?? my logic is if i want to lose BF maybe not have carbs??? as i want to tap into my stored BF whilst doing my cardio

I really do not think it will matter that much, seeing as how if you just drink the whey some will be converted to glucose. I don't think you will see any significant difference between consuming carbs+whey or whey alone, assuming identical calorie content.

AllUp
10-06-2003, 11:07 AM
True, Protein is the key thing. Also you'll feel less run-down after cardio. Seriously. It's all too crucial. :D

reloaded
10-06-2003, 12:20 PM
realistically, you gotta have fuel when you work out, whether you want to drop bf or not. just make sure you eat at least something. itll feel much better than eating on an empty stomach and catabolizing your muscles in the process. the other peeps are right...protein + carbs.