PDA

View Full Version : Dieting for the big day... Help appreciated...

Shizzle
10-06-2003, 07:52 AM
I've got a few cutting questions...

By no means am I a body builder, nor do I ever intend to be, but would like to ask the experts about some cutting advice.

I'm a year off from the big day (Getting married) and although I am by no means a big fellow in terms of being hugely overweight (5'9 / 175) at about 20% fat according to a scale I was measured on at my local fitness area, I would like to get back into the shape I was in my earlier twenties. I am 27 at the moment.

I've read through the forums here and done my best to nit pick over many of the diets that have been posted over the years, and I did my best to come up with what I thought would be a good diet to make a go at it. I am someone that when I start something am pretty stringent, and will stick to it.

Anyways, the diet I have come up with is as follows:

Meal 1 - 367 Calories
6 Egg Whites
1/4 Cup Oatmeal
2 Tablespoons PB
20oz Water

Meal 2 - 280 Calories
1 Chicken Breast
1 Cup Raw Veggies
20oz Water

Meal 3 - 272 Calories
1 Can Tuna
2 Cup Lettuce
1/2 Cup Brown Rice
20oz Water

Meal 4 - 410 Calories
1 MPR
1 TBSP Flax Oil
20oz Water

Meal 5 - 340 Calories
1 Chicken Breast
2 Cups Veggies
20oz Water

Meal 6 - 340 Calories
1 Protein Shake
1 TBSP Flax Oil
20oz Water

Calories = 2009.5
Protein = 214.5
Fat = 68.5
Carbs = 103

I've already signed up for a gym membership, and like I said above, I used to be quite a bit in shape, worked out, was on the swim team etc, so I know the right techniques and right approach to working out.

I will be lifting 3 days a week, and running 4-5 days a week. Ideally I would like to get in very good shape before summer even hits.

Anyways, some comments / critique / or any advice anyone is willing to share to help me along would very much be appreciated. My goal is to be back to a 30 inch waist (or less) by Wedding Day, and dangit I want my flat stomach back to! :)

- Shizzle

TheGimp
10-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Looks pretty solid in terms of food choices, although the total calories are probably too low considering your weight and the amount of activity you are planning on doing. Also you may wish to use fish oil rather than flax as this is a better way of getting your EFAs.

Shizzle
10-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by TheGimp
Looks pretty solid in terms of food choices, although the total calories are probably too low considering your weight and the amount of activity you are planning on doing. Also you may wish to use fish oil rather than flax as this is a better way of getting your EFAs.

You mention calories being to low... to low as in a hundred? or to low as in throw in another meal?

I debated about doing a 2000 or a 2300 calorie diet... wouldn't be that hard to add a few hundred calories bump...

The reason I kept it so low initially is that my job (9 hours a day) is a desk job. I litterally do not move all day long, so I felt it was probably better to undershoot than it would be to overshoot.

I could always come back after the fact and make a change. I'm going to monitor my progress pretty closely, I don't really wanna lose anymore than a few pounds a week, and if I notice it is above and beyond that i'll probably bump the calories a bit.

- Shizzle

TheGimp
10-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Sounds like you're going about things the right way - start with 2000 and see whether you lose weight too fast or indeed too slow. As I said I think your food choices look pretty good so I would imagine getting in the extra calories would just be a case of increasing portion size or adding an extra meal. You could also try some olive oil drizzled over those veggies as a calorie dense source of good fats.

bradley
10-06-2003, 09:20 AM
A post workout shake, consisting of protein and carbs, would be a good addition on training days, which would also bump cals up a bit. I think it is better to start with cals a little high, rather than too low. Remember you do have a year.:)

Congrats on the engagement.:thumbup:

reloaded
10-06-2003, 12:22 PM
just beat the crap outta yourself in the gym. obviously you know how to get into shape because you were in the position before. just work your ass off. :D

diet is key!