PDA

View Full Version : Shake DURING workout?

MorganB
10-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Just wondering, whats the science/reasoning between drinking water during a workout, but not shake?

Why cant I fill a 1 litre shaker with 50g of protein, 100g carbs etc, and sip that during the workout? If its water volume I could split the protein and carbs in 2 shakers for 2litres of drink.

Im 99% positive this is a bad idea (cos noone here told me to do it :D), but I dont know why.

What am I missing?

mikey4402
10-06-2003, 05:49 PM
i think i would throw up drinking a shake between heavy sets of squats...

bradley
10-06-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by MorganB
Just wondering, whats the science/reasoning between drinking water during a workout, but not shake?

There would be nothing wrong with consuming a shake during your training, as long as it did not cause any gastrointestinal issues.

If you take in a pre and post workout shake, the need for a shake during your workout would be diminished unless you were training for an extended amount of time. If you prefer to have a shake during your training then there would be nothing wrong with that approach.

Why cant I fill a 1 litre shaker with 50g of protein, 100g carbs etc, and sip that during the workout? If its water volume I could split the protein and carbs in 2 shakers for 2litres of drink.

If you are going to go about it this way I would probably drink 1/4 of the shake ~30 minutes before training, 1/4 throughout the duration of your workout, and then consume the remaining 1/2 post workout.

MorganB
10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Currently I take 20g protein and 30g carb pre workout, then 50g protein/80g carb post workout. The post workout shake I drink half immediately and sip the rest for the next 30 or 45 mins till I get home. 30 mins after I get home I eat.

I also drink 1.5 litres of water during training :) It was less the protein I was thinking of adding, and more the carbs. I have a gorgeous lemon flavoured carb drink powder. Its pretty refreshing, but I assumed cos noone else did these energy drinks during there would be some scientific reason as to why not. I assumed everyone else drank water whilst training like me. I never get the urge to vomit when squating ... **** my pants and blow bubbles out my ears yeah, but vomit no :D

MorganB
10-06-2003, 07:13 PM
ahh... rude word filter :) Ok, fill my pants? Better?

BTW I recently tried a shake by Scitec, rasberry yoghurt flavour with real rasperry pieces in it.... its bloody gorgeous. Between that and my lemon carbs Im gonna end up supplementing more than eating, or end up 150kg of pure flab.

I almost wish Id stuck with the hold your nose and gulp it down crappola shakes I started with. At least I took em cos I should, not cos I cant get enough of them.

Dr X
10-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by MorganB
I also drink 1.5 litres of water during training :) It was less the protein I was thinking of adding, and more the carbs. I have a gorgeous lemon flavoured carb drink powder.

Two different animals in my view. A protein/carb drink during training causes all sorts of problems with the stomach, including the fact it can cause cramps same as swimming after eating.

I did the protein drink once last year and did a really great impersination of "Old Faithfull". Other reason I would not do it again.

Now the other animal as above ... others do this. I mix my water with honey and lemon for energy during workouts.

BCC
10-06-2003, 07:32 PM
I gained 30 pounds in 2 months back in the day eating ham sandwiches during my workouts. I thought it was pretty cool then lol. Although most gyms probably wouldn't appreciate someone eating food on the floor.

Berserker
10-06-2003, 08:32 PM
I drink milk when I get hungry while working out. I've been thinking about shakes. That way nutrients are there immediately. Give it a shot.