PDA

View Full Version : Does cardio hurt my lifts?

EdgeCrusher
10-06-2003, 08:47 PM
I'm lifting 4 days a week, trying to increase my bench and leg strength (particularly calf raises and leg press) and I'd like to know if doing cardio 3 days a week is going to injure the lifts. I don't do it on the same day as my lifting day and I do about 30 to 60 minutes divided between elliptical, stairmaster, and bike.

Scott S
10-06-2003, 10:16 PM
If you start losing weight, it might. Otherwise, there is room for cardio and lifting. Look at aka23's journal. He does cardio nearly every day, and he has made smooth progress in his lifts.

BCC
10-06-2003, 10:26 PM
Cardio hurts everyone :(

Reinvented
10-06-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
Cardio hurts everyone :(

why is that?

-TIM-
10-06-2003, 10:50 PM
Well if you're concerned with total body fitness you shouldn't leave out cardio. It's the only way to exercise your heart and lungs. You can look buff and still be a bit sluggish on the inside, to a degree.

If you're worried about cardio hurting your lifts then I'd lessen the time to about 20 minutes 3 times a week instead of doing 30-60 minutes. 20 Minutes is more than enough to get the heart and lungs going.

BCC
10-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Cardio isn't exactly the only way to exercise the heart and lungs. Weight training has shown beneficial as well. It's really all you need.

Reinvented
10-06-2003, 10:57 PM
i think its far more impressive to be in great shape both in lifting and in cardio than to just dominate one but not the other....

the same holds true for flexibility...whats the point in getting large if you lose your mobility.

but if your looking just to get huge while bulking , i would say do cardio no more than 3x a week for 20-30min max at an easy pace.

-TIM-
10-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
Cardio isn't exactly the only way to exercise the heart and lungs. Weight training has shown beneficial as well. It's really all you need.

I'm not going to disagree with this post just because I've got nothing to discredit the thought that "It's really all you need."

But, compare two people. One that lifts and does zero cardio compared to one that lifts and does cardio a few times a week. Put them in a basketball game or a mile or two run and see who does better. The first person is going to be out of gas after a few minutes of running where the second is going to hold up a lot longer.

You may be able to exercise your heart and lungs with lifting. But cardio is going to do a better job of it.

EdgeCrusher
10-06-2003, 11:29 PM
I know cardio is *good* to get you in better shape, but I'm more concerned with strength in my lifts right now. I'll lessen the time to 20 minutes if that would give me the benefit of mild cardio but not interfere.