PDA

View Full Version : Favorite kinds of fish, and preparation

powerhalf
10-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Ever since I started working at a restaraunt I've had the chance to try seafood, which until that time I really didn't like at all. I've made perch, pickerel, and tilipia (sp?) at home and really enjoyed them. I usually sautee them in olive oil and garlic, sometimes breaded and sometimes not, and add a bit of cooking wine and lemon juice when I turn them over. I've baked salmon before too, but didn't enjoy that as much (the filet I had was huge, it must have been an inch thick!). I learned how to cook at the restaraunt so the only way I know how to cook is FAST. :) How do you like to prepare fish?

MrWebb78
10-07-2003, 02:14 PM
im on a mahi mahi, and red snapper kick lately.

i like em grilled with very little added, just a bit of lemon pepper and olive oil.

the snapper is hard to grill, usually wrap it in foil since it breaks apart easily.

btw, im not a very good cook, usually just meat n taters kinda guy

bradley
10-07-2003, 04:33 PM
My favorite would be Tuna steaks, seared and topped with sesame seeds.

Just take the Tuna and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and press them into the fish, so as they will stick better. Next get your pan really hot and cook ~3 minutes per side. This could also be done using the oven on the highest setting (broil).

For salmon I usually just add some dill weed and lemon then broil it in the oven for about 5 minutes per side (6oz portion).

Most any whitefish (orange roughy, tilapia, mahi-mahi) is good with lemon pepper, greek, or cajun seasoning and then baked in the oven.

powerhalf
10-08-2003, 06:07 PM
My mom made a tuna steak a few weeks ago while I was at work and saved some for me. Granted, it wasn't fresh out of the oven, but I thought it was way too dry. I'm thinking about trying to bake the tilapia I have now, but how can you tell when they're done? It's easier to spot if they're in the pan to check for 'flakiness' and color. I'm not worried about the extra calories from pan frying the fish, as the fish itself has very little fat and the olive oil is, if I'm not mistaken, accepted as a good source of efa's. But I'd like to expand my horizons a little ;)

bradley
10-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by powerhalf
My mom made a tuna steak a few weeks ago while I was at work and saved some for me. Granted, it wasn't fresh out of the oven, but I thought it was way too dry.

The tuna steak would ideally be pink in the middle, much like a rare/medium rare steak. The quality of the tuna also has a lot to do with it.

I'm thinking about trying to bake the tilapia I have now, but how can you tell when they're done?

Just pull the fish out of the oven and see if the fish flakes easily by pushing on it with a knife or fork. Once you get the time down, you can pretty much cook it the same way every time.

It's easier to spot if they're in the pan to check for 'flakiness' and color. I'm not worried about the extra calories from pan frying the fish, as the fish itself has very little fat and the olive oil is, if I'm not mistaken, accepted as a good source of efa's. But I'd like to expand my horizons a little ;)

Olive oil is a good source of monounsaturated fat, but it does not contain much in the way of EFAs. It is still a beneficial/healthy source of fat.

barbellan
10-27-2003, 07:13 PM
I eat talapia filet and salmon steaks or filets.I just put them in my steamer with nothing on and I just add salt when I eat ....and it is good and not dry....!

Berserker
10-28-2003, 07:20 PM
I had the best tuna steaks down near Maimi. Like red meat. Other then perch I didn't regonize half the fish.
When I had Mahi-mahi dolphin it was blackened, good but couldn't tell the difference, just snob appeal.
I like battered cod, get a fish fry every now and then, there big in the WI area.

NeuroSynapsis
10-30-2003, 12:36 PM
red snapper is always good

but the best is...

chilean sea bass

steamed or deep fried

Heartless
12-29-2003, 11:06 AM
TUNA STEAK RULEZ...just make sure when it is cooked that it comes out medium rare..

ogarchamplin
03-08-2004, 08:23 AM
I like Talipia fillets baked w/ a little of Mrs. Dash lemon pepper