PDA

View Full Version : Calorie question

greekboy80
10-07-2003, 05:30 PM
i weight 208 pounds. i think im about 12% BF. i work out 3 days per week, for about 1 1/2 hrs(hour workout, 30 min cardio,walking 3.5 MPH uphill). also, on MWF i have a tennis class. we play tennis, but not very hard. i do work up a sweat.

ok, i was on a Keto diet for a while lost about 10 pounds. switched to a regular low cal diet. i have 1 gram of protien per pound of body weight and sufficient EFA's, i eat carbs/protien for breakfast, lunch and dinner (all Low gly index, except post workout),(try to stay away from them after 6 oclock).

i eat about 2000 cal's per day. usually i try to eat under that. do you think thats too low? my weight loss has been slowed and im not sure if im loosing 1 pound per week. should i have a refeed day every weekend to keep leptin levels in check?

defcon
10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
2000 is prolly too low, and your body prolly needs a refeed, depends on how long you were on this diet..

greekboy80
10-07-2003, 06:32 PM
well, i have a one day refeed every weekend. i was just wondering if thats ok. and if the cals are too low for the amount of work outs that i do. could my body shut down and not loose any more weight if cals are too low?

bradley
10-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by greekboy80
well, i have a one day refeed every weekend. i was just wondering if thats ok. and if the cals are too low for the amount of work outs that i do.

A weekly refeed would be a good idea, especially if you are seeing weight loss slow down. You can probably get away with daily calories at 2000, although this is probably a little on the low side. You might try bumping the cals up a little (~200 cals) and then you can decrease them again if necessary. The larger the calorie deficit, the more frequently you would need to refeed.

Are you feeling hungary and/or lethargic towards the end of the week? Both of these could be signs that it is time for a refeed.

could my body shut down and not loose any more weight if cals are too low?

Yes, if your cals are too low your body will decrease metabolic rate to compensate for the low calorie level.

greekboy80
10-08-2003, 05:02 PM
2000 cal's is not counting the cal's that i burn while doing cardio, weight lifting and tennis class. with those taken away from my daily cals it would be around 235cals burnt from cardio, and weight lifting and tennis i cant compute? brad, should i take in more cals knowing this?

bradley
10-08-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by greekboy80
2000 cal's is not counting the cal's that i burn while doing cardio, weight lifting and tennis class. with those taken away from my daily cals it would be around 235cals burnt from cardio, and weight lifting and tennis i cant compute? brad, should i take in more cals knowing this?

Instead of concerning yourself with how many calories you are burning, look at how your body is responding. Are you currently losing a small amount of weight each week?

If you think your cals are too low, then I would bump the cals up for a week or two and then re-evaluate. Also at 12% bf and at your current calorie intake, a weekly refeed would be beneficial.

BECOMING
10-11-2003, 08:41 PM
What excatcly is a refeed?

bradley
10-12-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by BECOMING
What excatcly is a refeed?

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

Shankerr
10-12-2003, 04:24 PM
You could try having a good refeed one day per week, and having another few milder carb-up days during the week. When I cut, I get best results by cycling low and higher carb days, but thats just what works for me.. high carb days are the days I train chest, back and legs (refeed is usually one of these days, the other two are just higher carb days) and on other days, keep the carbs low. I'd recommend staying with the 2000 kCal's (since thats a relatively easy number to play with, and is in the ballpark of a good cutting intake) but messing with the composition of those calories to see what works best for you. I know for me, carbs are evil, so my 2000 calorie intake near the end of a cut may only have like 30g of carbs per day on low carb days, with the bulk of the remainder being protein from tuna, chicken and egg whites. You really need to experiment and find out how your body reacts to different diet compositions, and go from there.

BECOMING
10-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Well, i asked exactly what refeed was and boy did i get it. That was a very informative read brad. Thank you. I cut and pasted that link to my favorites. It seems like it will cut down on alot of my diet/nutrition questions. Ahhh, i love the forums.