PDA

View Full Version : Raw eggs safe?

hawkins308
10-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Just curious, I find it real convienent to down a few eggs in a glass, or blend them up in a shake as oposed to going through the trouble to boil or cook them.

Is this reletively safe?

Stray
10-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Run a search and you'll find it brought up before. Here's a good thread:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33871&highlight=raw+eggs

If safety is your concern, you may want to consider something like 'All Whites' or Egg beaters...It's pasteurized so it's safer to ingest.

Delphi
10-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Stray, great minds think alike- I was doing a search for that thread at the same time you were. ;)

Hawkins, there's really two issues here:

1) Decreased availability of protein and biotin in raw eggs due to biotin binding by the protein, avidin.

2) The increased risk of getting Salmonella from the raw eggs. According to Mercola the risk is low- 1 in 30,000 eggs. Or, according to Mercola the risk is high- over 600,00 cases of illness in the US annually from contaminated eggs. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

*leaves thread before getting Mercola poisoning*

hawkins308
10-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the replys yall.

Stray
10-08-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Delphi
Stray, great minds think alike- I was doing a search for that thread at the same time you were. ;)

:thumbup:

AlexBBbegginer
10-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Taken from the interview with John Berardi..

' Interestingly, Pieter Evenepoel and colleagues published a nice study in the American Journal of Physiology showing that when subjects ate 25g of cooked egg protein, 93% of the protein was assimilated. However, when the eggs were not cooked, 65% of the eggs were assimilated. So it appears that food preparation is important; in the case of eggs, probably more important than meal size.'

Seems that eggs are definately best eaten cooked.

PizDoff
10-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm, omelette.

Berserker
10-13-2003, 06:27 PM
I used to do, until I heard you don't digest as much of the protein. So I bought 10lbs of whey, so not an issue.
Seems weird that you don't digest it raw, nature intended you to eat them raw. But I guess you just have to eat more to make up for it.;)

Bruise Brubaker
10-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Seems weird that you don't digest it raw, nature intended you to eat them raw.

Well, 65% can still be considered good, considering that we are not specialized on egg digestion and that we do not depend upon them.

It's like carrots, you digest more vitamins when they're cooked.

Nature wasn't made for humans. We are part of it.

bradley
10-14-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Bruise Brubaker

Well, 65% can still be considered good, considering that we are not specialized on egg digestion and that we do not depend upon them.

Eating raw egg whites can also lead to a biotin deficiency, due to the protein avidin binding to the biotin, which is also the reason for the poor digestability of the protein.

There is also the increased risk of salmonella, although it is relatively small in the grand scheme of things.

Berserker
10-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Bruise Brubaker

Nature wasn't made for humans. We are part of it.
Not I am note sure if you are really deep or you just think you are.

scott3366
10-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Every morning i drink 4-6 beaten up eggs and i feel great. It saves time. More time to sleep!:thumbup:

Stray
10-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Nothing like a cup full of snot to start the day! ;)