PDA

View Full Version : Macro breakdown

pusher
10-08-2003, 10:55 AM
What macro breakdown would you recommend for a bulking diet(ie.what % of P/C/F)? I am 180 at ~15%bf, I want to hit a lean 190-195, before I cut once again. I would probably be aiming for about 2900-3000 cals/day.

Thanks for the help.

bradley
10-08-2003, 01:20 PM
When it comes to macronutrient breakdown I think each individual should experiment to some degree, at least with the fat and carb amounts in their diet. You know that you will need to make sure to take in adequate amounts of protein (~1g of protein per lb. of bw) and EFAs, so that should be a given.

As far as carbs go, I would definitely take in some pre/post workout, but then the rest of the day would depend on you. If you seem to tolerate carbs well, then go with a higher carb intake and lower fat intake. Otherwise I would stick to mostly carbs centered around your training and then switch to a higher fat intake for the rest of your meals.

I think somatotype would come into play, i.e. endomorph, ecto, meso. An ecto would tend to have better insulin sensitivity (lower bf%), so a higher carb intake would probably be better suited, where as an endomorph would probably be better suited with carbs centered around training.

pusher
10-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the response Bradley. I would consider myself more of a meso/endomorph, Does this mean that I should aim for less carbs even when bulking? Or just try to consume them around training? How would a 40p/30c/30f breakdown look for me?

I guess more importantly, would it be any more anabolic to have a certain breakdown(within reason) over another, or would I be correct in assuming that it has more to do with how clean the bulk is?

Thanks.

bradley
10-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by pusher
Thanks for the response Bradley. I would consider myself more of a meso/endomorph, Does this mean that I should aim for less carbs even when bulking? Or just try to consume them around training? How would a 40p/30c/30f breakdown look for me?

Forty percent of your daily cals from protein would probably be quite a bit, as I see no reason to go over 1g per lb of bw, although if you prefer it that way it should not make any significant difference. The 40/30/30 would be a good starting point, and then you can play around with the macros as you progress farther into the bulking phase, to find out what works the best.

For example, if you are more endomorphic you could go with carbs pre and post workout and then a whole food meal containing a fair amount of carbs. These shakes/meals would make up the majority of your carb intake for the day, and then the rest of the day focus on more fat and carbs from veggies, etc. I think this approach would work well due to the increased nutrient partitioning that is seen following training, so hopefully you will be able to force most of the carbs into the muscles.

Remember this is mainly just speculation, and your activity level, calorie intake, bf%, hormones, etc. will play a significant role in the ratio of LBM to bf that you gain.

As long as you are in a calorie surplus you will gain weight, whether those calories come from carbs, fat, or protein, so I really do not see any reason to bump carbs up dramatically when bulking.

I guess more importantly, would it be any more anabolic to have a certain breakdown(within reason) over another, or would I be correct in assuming that it has more to do with how clean the bulk is?

Macro breakdown can have an effect on hormone levels, see article on testosterone at www.thinkmuscle.com, but I do not think this is something that you can manipulate to any significant degree. Just make sure you have enough quality protein and fat.

There is nothing really significant about a "clean" bulk, other than the fact that you are less likely to put on unnecessary bf. You can bulk just as easily on fast food as you can on chicken and brown rice, as long as the protein and EFAs are there. Would this be the healthy way to, not IMO. Although micronutrients would not be as abundant if you were bulking on processed (junk) food.:)