PDA

View Full Version : Digestive Aids?



Silverback
10-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Now im back at university we have been getting back into the swing of lectures/seminars etc...

As part of my sports performance module we talked about digestive aids helping performance, i thought this could directly apply to bodybuilding.

Would taking certain digestive aids i.e. bromelain, lipase influence more efficient use of protein, carbs and fat to aid muscle recovery/growth?

seems like a no brainer to me and as soon as im over my injury i think ill start and see how it goes.

bradley
10-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Unless you are deficient in that specific enzyme, then no. If your body has enough to do the job, then supplementing would not offer much benefit.

Think of it this way, if you are not lactose intolerant would you want to supplement with Lactaid?

PizDoff
10-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Lactaid WOULD help with the digestion. And maybe keep the gas down, but apparently no one here wants to do that.

Then again you are spending resources "unwisely."

bradley
10-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by PizDoff
Lactaid WOULD help with the digestion. And maybe keep the gas down, but apparently no one here wants to do that.

Then again you are spending resources "unwisely."

If you already have enough lactase present in the body, then there would be no use in using Lactaid, which is what I stated above.

If you are deficient in that enzyme (lactase), then yes supplementing with Lactaid would be beneficial.

raniali
10-08-2003, 03:58 PM
there are plant/fruit extracts used as digestive enzymes (namely enzymes found in pineapple, mango, papaya).
DIGESTIVE ENZYMES

Digestive enzymes—also called pancreatic enzymes—include three classes of enzymes: proteolytic enzymes needed to digest protein, lipases needed to digest fat, and amylases needed to digest carbohydrates. In several conditions that cause malabsorption, such as pancreatic insufficiency and cystic fibrosis, doctors sometimes prescribe digestive enzymes to improve absorption of food. Nutritionally oriented doctors often tell people to try using pancreatic enzymes with meals when they have symptoms of indigestion that cannot be attributed to a specific cause.

i just wanted to add that fruits are a good tenderizer and marinade for meats because they are acidic and help to break down protein - plus they add a lot of flavor.

bradley
10-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by raniali
there are plant/fruit extracts used as digestive enzymes (namely enzymes found in pineapple, mango, papaya).
DIGESTIVE ENZYMES

Digestive enzymes—also called pancreatic enzymes—include three classes of enzymes: proteolytic enzymes needed to digest protein, lipases needed to digest fat, and amylases needed to digest carbohydrates. In several conditions that cause malabsorption, such as pancreatic insufficiency and cystic fibrosis, doctors sometimes prescribe digestive enzymes to improve absorption of food. Nutritionally oriented doctors often tell people to try using pancreatic enzymes with meals when they have symptoms of indigestion that cannot be attributed to a specific cause.

This would go along with what I stated above.

Unless you are showing signs of a deficiency (gas, bloating, indigestion, etc.) or some other medical condition, there would be no reason to supplement with digestive enzymes.

If the enzyme is not the limiting factor in the digestion of that food, then why supplement with that enzyme? More is not always better.:)

Silverback
10-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Ah im with you now,

Its like "if it aint broke, then dont fix it" the thing is i was under the impression that they were supplements to aid the current system,similar to creatine for example.

Increasing the body's ability to utilise ATP production, but in this case using a digestive enzyme to help the body absorb and use protein more efficiently, but in this scenario it doesnt work like that right?

bradley
10-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
Increasing the body's ability to utilise ATP production, but in this case using a digestive enzyme to help the body absorb and use protein more efficiently, but in this scenario it doesnt work like that right?

Digestive enzymes are responsible for breaking down the food, so as the food is in a form that is available for absorption by the body. ATP production is much further down the line, so to speak, and as long as you are breaking down the food then the body's natural enzymes will work just fine.