PDA

View Full Version : Sugar speeds Metabolism?

Big o Boy
10-09-2003, 11:03 AM
I heard this from a GNC person. I'm not sure how true it is, but I'm trying to bulk, and maybe cutting down on the sugars would help me do this? My metabolism is crazy fast as it is.

This may be a no-brainer, old-question type deal, but I would like some help with this.

As I always understood, the more candy/junk food you ate the fatter you got. Those contain lots of sugar so it would speed your metabolism up to burn fat? I don't get it.

The GNC lady told me not to drink pops, eat candy, or put sugar in my creatine drink... I don't know what to do... so confused, head going to explode! AHHH!

WillKuenzel
10-09-2003, 11:13 AM
I'm not so sure that it directly increases the metabolism but it does give you energy which in turn makes it much harder to sit still. When you get active your metabolism tends to ramp up, this along with just moving more might create the effect that sugar increases metabolism but only as a side effect.

About the creatine, the acid in soda can breakdown creatine quicker meaning its not absorbed and used as creatine but as something else (can't remember the techinal name). I however think this happens over the course of several hours and wouldn't really matter too much.

I think there was some discussion before about how having an insulin spike while ingesting creatine would increase the rate of absorbtion, or something of that nature but as long as you are getting enough creatine period, basically you are just saturating cells and they are holding it. No real need IMO to take it with anything special unless you just happen to toss it into your post workout shake.

Now I could be wrong about all this, so somebody else please jump in and confirm one way or the other.

bradley
10-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Big o Boy
I heard this from a GNC person. I'm not sure how true it is, but I'm trying to bulk, and maybe cutting down on the sugars would help me do this? My metabolism is crazy fast as it is.

An increase in calories could lead to an increase in metabolic rate, but to my knowledge there is nothing special about sugar that would cause it to have a direct affect on metabolic rate.

One could argue, since sugar causes a faster and more rapid insulin response, that you would begin burning fat faster as compared to carbs from low glycemic index sources. For example, when you take in dextrose, insulin would rise and fall quickly, and since insulin halts fat burning, you would be able to begin burning fat sooner, as compared to eating the same amount of carbs from oats. Although in the end total calories will be the determining factor as to whether or not you lose/gain weight.

The main reason to avoid sugars is due to the effects that they have on appetite control. Large swings in blood sugar levels can lead to increases in appetite.

If you are having trouble gaining weight, then I would recommend focusing on more calorie dense foods, such as nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, etc.

As I always understood, the more candy/junk food you ate the fatter you got. Those contain lots of sugar so it would speed your metabolism up to burn fat? I don't get it.

You also have to take into account the amount of calories that these foods contain. Most contain a large amount of sugars and fat, but like I stated above I do not think that sugar will have a direct affect on metabolic rate. If the above were the case, Americans would not be in the midst of an obesity epidemic.

The GNC lady told me not to drink pops, eat candy, or put sugar in my creatine drink... I don't know what to do... so confused, head going to explode! AHHH!

You should take the creatine along with carbs, and post workout would be the ideal time. The insulin will help shuttle the creatine into the muscle cells, which is ideal so as to increase the absorption.

I agree that soda, candy, etc. is a bad choice, but not for the reasons the GNC lady stated. Most of these types of foods contain high amounts of high fructose corn syrup, which can lead to fat gain if consumed in excess.

Big o Boy
10-09-2003, 02:38 PM
wow... that was some of the best responces I've ever gotten Homeyield/Bradley.

You should take the creatine along with carbs, and post workout would be the ideal time.
This is also something that she argued me about. She said taking this pre-workout would give you the energy(or something) to have a more effective workout, and to take the protien shakes post-workout. But on the creatine directions it says take after your workout? Does it make a significant difference in what time you take it?

Thanks again, this is just what I was looking for. :)

bradley
10-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Big o Boy
This is also something that she argued me about. She said taking this pre-workout would give you the energy(or something) to have a more effective workout, and to take the protien shakes post-workout. But on the creatine directions it says take after your workout? Does it make a significant difference in what time you take it?

A pre-workout shake can be beneficial, but that is not to say that a post workout shake is not important as well. You can think of consuming a preworkout shake as a preventative measure, and basically what you are doing is making sure that your body has nutrients available when it needs them. If you were to just take a post workout shake you would still be depriving the body, since it does take some time for the shake to be digested/absorbed. This is the reason that some type of preworkout meal or shake can be beneficial, and the composition of the meal or shake would determine when you should consume it in relation to your workout. The post workout shake will blunt the rise in cortisol that accompanies hard training, and will also provide aminos and carbs for recovery.

The timing of the creatine is not really that important, since it is stored in your muscle cells. I would probably take it post workout since this would be the ideal time to take in a large amount of carbs.