PDA

View Full Version : another booze question

Spartacus
10-09-2003, 02:32 PM
if one where hypothetically going to get drunk on a weekend, woudl it still be a good idea to work out that friday?

if it inhibits protein synthesis, could you be elevating the protein breakdown without allowing your body to recover and rebuild. if alcohol has the same effect on synthesis whether you workout or not, working out might be a good idea, but if it "limits" protein synthesis it might be better to skip the workout

any ideas?

Tryska
10-09-2003, 02:43 PM
would it stop you from drinking if it did?

Spartacus
10-09-2003, 02:48 PM
uh, this is a "hypothetical"

Tryska
10-09-2003, 02:51 PM
*lol*

and the answer was rhetorical.

you have a workout routine....you want to go out drinking. obviously the next day is gonna be a waste anyways, so why not get a training session in beforehand.

don't overthink things.

Spartacus
10-09-2003, 02:57 PM
well i'm just wondering if the workout right before a night of drinking will actually be counterproductive. if its just not going to do much i'd probably go anyway

Tryska
10-09-2003, 03:10 PM
well of course drinking will be counterproductive, it's jsut a matter of degrees.

if you workout and then go drink are you gonna be a scrawny sumbitch the next morning? no prolly not - you'll prolly look defined from all the dehydration, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. what does matter is consistency. (with the training - not the drinking)

bradley
10-10-2003, 02:27 AM
This was kind of interesting, although the abstract does not state when the workout was performed in relation to consumption of alchohol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8800389&dopt=Abstract
"Physical stress immediately before alcohol administration prolonged the depressant effect of alcohol on testosterone secretion. This seemed to be mainly a consequence of direct inhibition at the testicular level, even though the role of luteinizing hormone as a contributory regulatory factor cannot be totally ruled out. Cortisol response to exercise was not modified by alcohol under any of the experimental conditions."

pusher
10-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Damn wisky Dik!

Berserker
10-10-2003, 11:16 AM
I think its not so bad especially if you take the weekend off. What ever you miss on friday you will make up for over the weekend. I do try to get my protein for the day in before drinking.
I've done it. Probably doesn't maximize your gains, but doesn't eliminate them either.

Saint Patrick
10-10-2003, 11:48 AM
It's better than skipping the day IMO.