PDA

View Full Version : how vital is diet to growing muscle?



aggablinky
10-10-2003, 05:27 AM
I once read diet is anything up to 80% the determining factor to muscle growth, especially if you really want to size up, is there truth in this statement? Thanks

bradley
10-10-2003, 05:42 AM
Yes, diet is very important in regards to increasing LBM and/or reducing bodyfat. Your body must have nutrients available to increase LBM, since you can not make something out of nothing.:)

Diet, training, and rest are all key factors in achieving your goals.

ftotti10
10-10-2003, 08:26 AM
I trained for 2 years very hard but paid no attention to my diet. Even though I got stronger, I didnt really put on too much muscle. I then started taking care of my diet and taking protein supplements, I put on 40lbs of muscle in the next two years.

Diet is king, assuming your training and rest is in order

geoffgarcia
10-10-2003, 10:06 AM
to say diet is 80% is bullshlt in my opinion

u will only grow as strong as the weakest link in the chain of ur diet, training, rest, genetics, desire

I'd say diet is equally important to the quality of training
so I'd say they are each roughly 25%

Rest I'd put at 5%, yes, its important but we all tend to get just about the same amount on avg 7-9 hours a night

Genetics/disabilities/injuries I'd put at 5%

so we are at 60%....what about the other 40%?

desire

I can't count the number of workout partners I've had in my life...
people that train when its convenient for them
skip workouts at the drop of a hat
dont invest in educating themselves on how to improve
lack the intensity/drive that is needed to reach their potential
quit to easily
have cheat days
drink and do drugs

the list goes on...
I'm not saying I'm perfect in any of these categories, I'm not even close...
People tend to look for easy ways out in life, I think that once we stop looking for excuses and grab the bull by the horns thats when we will get where we want to go....
where there is a will there is a way...

gopher
10-10-2003, 10:11 AM
Diet is critical to muscle growth. I hate to put percentages to something like this. In my opinion you have to look at diet, training, and recovery all as being 100% of your progress. Giving anything less than 100% effort to any one of these will hurt your progress.

ftotti10
10-10-2003, 10:29 AM
settle down geoff

BCC
10-10-2003, 10:38 AM
I'd say diet is definitely at least 80 percent. Regardless of the quality of my training, I'm growing if I'm eating.

AllUp
10-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Im with goph somewhat. As long as your dedicated and try your best, eat healthy, dont skip w/o's you will reach your goals. Also Sleep is key.

Eating healthy does make a huge difference though.

Pretty much training/eating-habits/Want-To attitude. :D
Make a pie chart if you like. But if you skimp on one department make up for it in another. I.E If you had junk-food, put it in your mouth and ate that **** then you better burn that crap off.
Like-wise if you bounce from the gym early. Since you skimped on the w/o,Do NOT go and stuff your face with a boston-creme donut like I saw some chump do last-week.

Balance it all out and your Key. :D

bradley
10-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
so we are at 60%....what about the other 40%?

desire

I can't count the number of workout partners I've had in my life...
people that train when its convenient for them
skip workouts at the drop of a hat
dont invest in educating themselves on how to improve
lack the intensity/drive that is needed to reach their potential
quit to easily
have cheat days
drink and do drugs


How do you explain the people you see in the gym for hours a day, doing endless amounts of sets, and never seem to grow?

I think gopher pretty much nailed it with his post above.

thetopdog
10-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by ftotti10
settle down geoff

:D
I was thinking the same thing, 1/2 way through his post it turned into a Tony Robbins informercial

I'm not trying to flame or anything, I just found it funny

jinxx
10-10-2003, 04:29 PM
I'd say diet is like at least 60%, more then the training itself imho.

theomen
10-11-2003, 12:57 AM
I'd say it depends on your goals, if you just want to look like a guy who's in good shape, then diet is 0% as you can reach that goal with a horrible diet. But if you want to be the guy who gets constant comments and stares, then it's around 60-75%. I've been both the above, and I attribute my physical change to my diet. Basically it's damned near impossible to reach the upper echelone w/o a very strict diet.

geoffgarcia
10-13-2003, 02:41 PM
sorry to much coffee that day I guess:)


Originally posted by bradley
How do you explain the people you see in the gym for hours a day, doing endless amounts of sets, and never seem to grow?

Impossible to say without knowing the in's and out's of what those people do...

guess its kinda like the huge ripped guys that rely on pizza, beer and fast food for their diet, and never work out....go figure...

harryhoudini66
10-13-2003, 03:00 PM
I say it is 75%. I like the other guy’s comments though. I have also gone through many workout partners. They always skip out on workouts and every so often complain why they are not getting results. Just the other day one of my workout partner says, “I am not getting real results” and then the other guy says, “yeah, me neither”.

Now the first guy goes to workout with me maybe 3 times per week but misses Friday because he likes to go out and drink. Real heavy partying. He sometimes eats way too much fat and other times eat once per day because he feels he was too bad the day before. The point is he never really tries to eat right. The only real improvement he has shown is his calves which I take personal responsibility for. I helped him gain a good 1-1 ½ inches.

The second guy has gone to the gym with us maybe like 10 times in the last five months. Doesn’t watch what he eats, does some cardio and never does the routine we do. He does his own, “I am going to make this up and work weird muscles at the same time” routine.

Now I tell you, how the hell they can expect to get results. In the mean time you have me. I was a 245 pound pig who has gone down to 192-195 in the same time. I got my diet in order and have made some great gains. I may not be huge, but you can tell I work out. Neither of them have lost or gained weight. Now what is the difference between me and them? Well besides not skipping out on workouts, I always have my diet on check.

bradley
10-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
guess its kinda like the huge ripped guys that rely on pizza, beer and fast food for their diet, and never work out....go figure...

Well genetics would play a large part.