PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the "No carb after 6 rule"?

IILaRockII
10-10-2003, 08:02 AM
And does it work? I've been on this for 2 days now and I want to get some results.

After 6 no carbs, just protein and fiber and healthy fats.

defcon
10-10-2003, 10:02 AM
i do not like how you refere to it as a time.. what if you wake up 3 in the afternoon and work night shift, then u'd only get 1 carb meal a day :P but what i usually do is have my carb+protein meals first 3 of the day, then protein+|fat meals later in the day.... but this would also have to consider whjen you workout since a vat majority of your carbs are consumed around your workout ect ect.

Alex.V
10-10-2003, 10:06 AM
Nope. Did for a while. Never really made any difference to me.

bradley
10-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by IILaRockII
And does it work? I've been on this for 2 days now and I want to get some results.

After 6 no carbs, just protein and fiber and healthy fats.

Total calories will be the determining factor as to whether or not you gain weight, and as Belial stated above it really is not going to make a difference.

It will take a little longer than 2 days to see any weight loss, but it will happen if you are in a calorie deficit at the end of the day.:)

bradley
10-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by defcon
i do not like how you refere to it as a time.. what if you wake up 3 in the afternoon and work night shift, then u'd only get 1 carb meal a day :P but what i usually do is have my carb+protein meals first 3 of the day, then protein+|fat meals later in the day.... but this would also have to consider whjen you workout since a vat majority of your carbs are consumed around your workout ect ect.

The food combining is just theory and has never really held true as far as real world results. This is due to various reasons 1)fat can be stored without the presence of insulin and 2) protein itself will cause an insulin response.

SquareHead
10-10-2003, 01:20 PM
I disagree. I have no science to back this up but. It would make science in my mind to carbs towards the early part of you're waking hours. If your body uses carbs primarily for energy if you are still eating them towards the end of your day I would think since they are not being used for energy they would be stored as fat. I think ones efforts would not be totally wasted in trying to eat carbs towards the earlier part of the waking day when you are fully functioning not just supporting life while sleeping.

That is all.

bradley
10-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by SquareHead
I disagree. I have no science to back this up but. It would make science in my mind to carbs towards the early part of you're waking hours. If your body uses carbs primarily for energy if you are still eating them towards the end of your day I would think since they are not being used for energy they would be stored as fat. I think ones efforts would not be totally wasted in trying to eat carbs towards the earlier part of the waking day when you are fully functioning not just supporting life while sleeping.

That is all.

Carbohydrates are not readily converted to fat, unless one is overfeeding on carbohydrates for an extended period of time.

While at rest your body will use a combination of free fatty acids and carbs for fuel. If you were to eat more carbs the body will burn more of these carbs for fuel and reduce the amount of fat being burned. If you eat a large carb meal before bed, then your body will be burning a higher percentage of carbohydrates for energy, but total calorie balance will still be the determing factor.

You can think of it like a pendulum. The more carbs you eat earlier in the day, the less you will be able to eat at night and vice-versa. Since the body will adapt and use different ratios of fat and carbs for fuel, overall calorie balance will be the main factor as to whether or not you gain weight. If the pendulum swings one way it is going to swing back the other direction eventually. When the pendulum swings one way it will be using mainly carbs for fuel and when it swings the other way it will be using mainly fat for fuel. This is of course assuming the same amount of carbs consumed over the course of the day.

Bruise Brubaker
10-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Do not forget that sleeping burns a lot of energy, not that much less than attending a class. People seem to believe that your body shut down at night... (we do more than supporting life, and supporting life by itself takes a lot of energy...)

The average person burns 90 calories an hour when sleeping; we are probably consuming much more.

Saint Patrick
10-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Bruise Brubaker
Do not forget that sleeping burns a lot of energy, not that much less than attending a class. People seem to believe that your body shut down at night... (we do more than supporting life, and supporting life by itself takes a lot of energy...)

The average person burns 90 calories an hour when sleeping; we are probably consuming much more.

I heard sleeping burns 60 cals/hour...