PDA

View Full Version : diet advice

safc23
10-10-2003, 10:43 AM
This site has been a great help to me but i hope someone can help me.
I've been training for the last six months and im seeing some gains in development but not size.
I am looking to take more in some protein during the day and add some SERIOUS muscle!

Should i aim to get my protein from natural sources such as chicken and tuna or are should i aim for shakes as i know that some can be expensive.

I have set a goal of putting on some good lean mass leading up to christmas but really need some help.
I currently work out 3 times a week (Mon, Tues, Weds) -split rioutine and do boxing on tues and thurs. Should i cut out cardio alltogether?
I have been taking extra carb shakes but dont want to put on extra mass in the form of fat from the carbs.
If any can help me with ideas on what i can do put make some SERIOUS gains then i would appreciate the help

Thanks in advance

theomen
10-10-2003, 12:41 PM
What does your current diet look like? It's hard to give recomendations without knowing where you might be lacking.

For protein only use supps as a supplement, get your major source of nutrients from whole foods.

Make sure you take in lots of low GI carbs, and adequent amounts of monounsaturated fats.

bradley
10-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by safc23
Should i aim to get my protein from natural sources such as chicken and tuna or are should i aim for shakes as i know that some can be expensive.

I would go with whole food sources, but if you are having trouble getting in your protein throughout the day then you can throw in some shakes.

I currently work out 3 times a week (Mon, Tues, Weds) -split rioutine and do boxing on tues and thurs. Should i cut out cardio alltogether?

I think some form of cardio is beneficial, whether you are cutting or bulking. You might want to perform a few sessions on your off days, maybe 2-3 times per week, but it is not a necessity. You could look into high intensity interval training (HIIT) which would be a good choice as far as cardio is concerned.

I have been taking extra carb shakes but dont want to put on extra mass in the form of fat from the carbs.

Carbs are important especially around your training. Total calories will be the main factor as to whether or not you gain bf, and if you concentrate on adding a small amount of weight each week you should be able to minimize increases in bf.

This thread might help.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38218

xbranman2
10-15-2003, 09:49 AM
i need a diet to gaain muscle. i am currently wrestling so i dont need to ain weight but when off season comes i want to put o about 20 to 25 lbs of muscle. I need a diet that has variety. Does anyone know any?

bradley
10-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by xbranman2
i need a diet to gaain muscle. i am currently wrestling so i dont need to ain weight but when off season comes i want to put o about 20 to 25 lbs of muscle. I need a diet that has variety. Does anyone know any?

The thread I posted above should help get you started.

Welcome to WBB:)

xbranman2
10-15-2003, 06:56 PM
thanks i appreciate it

xbranman2
10-15-2003, 07:20 PM
i meant like what od to eat thouh meal by meal?

bradley
10-16-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by xbranman2
i meant like what od to eat thouh meal by meal?

You will have to form the actual diet yourself, as no one knows what foods you have access to or what foods you enjoy eating. It would be hard for someone to give you a customized meal plan that would fit your needs. The best thing to do would be to make up your own meal plan and then post it, and I am sure you will get some helpful feedback.

safc23
10-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the help.
Does anyone reccomend using cell-tech. Its quite expensive but want to know if it really is as good as made out?

theomen
10-20-2003, 03:52 PM
it's not worth the extra $

bradley
10-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the help.
Does anyone reccomend using cell-tech. Its quite expensive but want to know if it really is as good as made out?

If you want Cell-Tech you can make your own quite easily. Just combine 75g of dextrose, 10g of creatine, and 200mg of alpha lipoic acid (ALA).

All that is really needed is the dextrose and ~5g of creatine, which can use post workout along with some protein.:)

safc23
10-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks Bradley.
Think ill give that a try.
Would you reccoment just 5g of creatine post workout rather than 5g pre-workout as well. I heard somewhere that 5g of creatine is still too much as a lot is waste. Is this true. If so why do people recommend a loading phase???

bradley
10-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Would you reccoment just 5g of creatine post workout rather than 5g pre-workout as well. I heard somewhere that 5g of creatine is still too much as a lot is waste. Is this true. If so why do people recommend a loading phase???

Just stick to 5g post workout, which might be a little more than is actually needed, but any extra will be excreted by the kidneys.

When you load on creatine you are just speeding up the rate at which the muscle cells become saturated with creatine. You can get the same effect taking 5g per day, but it will take a longer period of time.

Once you get the muscles saturated with creatine, all you need is ~5g to keep the creatine levels "topped off" so to speak.