PDA

View Full Version : Would doubling my calories increase my metabolism, if so - how well?

EdgeCrusher
10-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Before lifting, I was maintaining @ 2k (yeah, pathetic). When working out, I was able to eat 3k calories and keep my weight steady. I am eating 4k calories now, eating as much food as I can get that has protein and doesn't have anything I can't eat. So, eating 2x what I was maintaining while not lifting, will this increase my metabolism (I think the answer is yes)? If so, how well do you think this will work? I am lifting 3 times, heavy every week now, and doing cardio for 20 minutes 1-2 times a week.

How long until you think I'll be able to maintain @ 3k calories without working out? 4k without?

bradley
10-12-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
Before lifting, I was maintaining @ 2k (yeah, pathetic). When working out, I was able to eat 3k calories and keep my weight steady. I am eating 4k calories now, eating as much food as I can get that has protein and doesn't have anything I can't eat. So, eating 2x what I was maintaining while not lifting, will this increase my metabolism (I think the answer is yes)? If so, how well do you think this will work? I am lifting 3 times, heavy every week now, and doing cardio for 20 minutes 1-2 times a week.

How long until you think I'll be able to maintain @ 3k calories without working out? 4k without?

There are many factors that determine how many calories it takes to maintain your bodyweight, such as bf%, activity level, metabolic rate, etc.

Obviously if you increase the amount of LBM that you have you will require more calories to maintain the new LBM, and also if you have increased your activity level you will need more calories to maintain your bodyweight since you are burning more calories throughout the day. There is no way to pinpoint exactly how many calories you can eat and maintain your weight, and the calories required will vary from person to person. For example, if you have two people who have exactly the same stats (height, weight, bf%), they will not necessarily have the same maintenance calorie intake.

Yes, you have increased your metabolism, but trying to determine how much would be shooting in the dark. Just adjust calories up or down in small increments according to your goals.

How long it will take for you to maintain at 4000, 5000, etc. would just be a guess, as this will vary from person to person.

Silverback
10-12-2003, 12:34 PM
I think Bradley has answered as much as anyone can. There will be an increase but only you will know with time what effects it has upon your body.

I cant wait for the day that i maintain @ 4,000 cals.

On another note what do you think of the correlation between RMR and Muscular size?

It appears from my experience so far that those who build great physiques have a high RMR from the start, just as an example take chasey from these boards, who has always had a very high rmr and is building a great physique.

Is there something to do with synthesizing protein involved?

what do ya reckon brad?

bradley
10-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
On another note what do you think of the correlation between RMR and Muscular size?

Well the more muscle you have the higher your resting metabolic rate.

It appears from my experience so far that those who build great physiques have a high RMR from the start, just as an example take chasey from these boards, who has always had a very high rmr and is building a great physique.

Is there something to do with synthesizing protein involved?

Some people have better genetics than others, and things like somatotype would also be something that would have an affect. Mesomorphs have an easier time putting on muscle, as compared to an ectomorph. Then you have the endomorphs who can add muscle rather easily, but also add a higher percentage of fat than a mesomorph. This is just speculation, and it basically boils down to the individual. No two people are alike, and this holds true in bodybuilding as well.