PDA

View Full Version : Am I eating Enough?

donescobar2000
10-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Recently I posted my diet for critique. You guys said it was fine but am I eating enough? The reason I raise this question is because i dont seem to notice a difference in the mirror. The scale tell me something different all the time so I dont rely on them. I am currently doing 2000 cals and my stats are 5'3 170 9 - 10 % BF. I lift 5 day a week with 2 HIIT Sessions. Any help would be appreciated.

gopher
10-12-2003, 04:12 PM
2000 calories is not much for someone who is 170 and trying to gain mass. I would go up to about 2250 for 2 weeks and see what happens. If you do not see any noticable BF gain go up another 250. Keep doing this until you start to notice yourself gaining BF. Then back off about 200 cals and stick with that for a while. Any time your mass gain stalls add on another 200-250. Keep your eye on the mirror and adjust accordingly.

Shankerr
10-12-2003, 04:14 PM
If you have to wonder if you're eating enough.... then you're not.

And 2000 kCal a day is definitely not enough if you're serious about gaining some size. End of story. Eat as much clean food as you can handle. I'd recommend tacking on another 1000 - 1500 kCal a day right off the bat, and maybe even going up a bit higher than that if need be after a few weeks.

donescobar2000
10-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Actually my goal is to cut.

Shankerr
10-12-2003, 04:16 PM
ok... so you're cutting, not seeing the results you want, and thinking you should eat more? How does that make sense?

donescobar2000
10-12-2003, 04:23 PM
That is what I am trying to figure out? If I am eating som little how come I am not cutting?

Shankerr
10-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Well, I'd say 2000 cals a day is a good number to cut on at your bodyweight. I get down as low as about 1700 on low carb, isocaloric days when I cut, and thats at 240-250lbs. You might want to try a few things that I find work for me... Not for everyone, but its worth a shot..

1) Cycle high and low carb days, and have a refeed day every week where you're eating like double your daily normal intake. High carb days should be the days you train back, chest and legs, with one of these days being your refeed. Keep your protein high, and fat low over the entire week, just adjust your carbs by adding in, or taking out yams and oatmeal. These are the best two carbs for cutting I find.

2) Add in a bit more cardio. I find results take shape with about 4 days per week cardio. Although, if you're getting ready for a show, do as much as 6 days per week near the end to really shred out. I do morning cardio 2/4 days, and evening cardio the other 2. Cardio time should be about 20-25 mins per day. I find that incline walking is the best cardio for cutting and not losing muscle. Set the treadmill at about 5% incline, an walk about about 4MPH.

Give that a go.. Also, aim to eat all your carbs before around 5 or 6pm. A post workout shake with some maltodextrin is an exception, but no oats, yams, rice, milk, etc after 6.

Anyway, I dont have access to scientific research to back this up, but this is what works for me. Give it a go, never hurts to experiment a bit to find your own niche. It took me a few years to find my own style, and to feel out my body and know what really truly works for me, so be patient.

Hope this helps :)

donescobar2000
10-12-2003, 04:36 PM
I hear you. Thanks.

donescobar2000
10-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Can it be not enough Cardio?

Shankerr
10-12-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Shankerr

2) Add in a bit more cardio. I find results take shape with about 4 days per week cardio. Although, if you're getting ready for a show, do as much as 6 days per week near the end to really shred out. I do morning cardio 2/4 days, and evening cardio the other 2. Cardio time should be about 20-25 mins per day. I find that incline walking is the best cardio for cutting and not losing muscle. Set the treadmill at about 5% incline, an walk about about 4MPH.

Definitely ;)

bradley
10-13-2003, 02:08 AM
2000 calories would be a good place to start, but you will probably have to lower them down a little as you progress with the cut. If you are at ~10% bf then you I would recommend refeeding about 2x per week or at least every 5 days. You could probably get away with a lower calorie intake if you were to refeed as mentioned above. Keep protein intake at ~1g per lb. of bw and fat intake should be ~25% of your daily cals (most of the fat coming from EFAs and olive oil), and then you can play around with the carbs. Some people prefer more carbs, while other prefer more fat. Just make sure to take in carbs around your training session.

As far as cardio goes, I would start out slowly and increase the amount as you progress with the cut. HIIT cardio is a good choice and I think ideally alternating between moderate intensity cardio and HIIT is ideal.

Some people have had a success following a cyclical isocaloric diet (CID), and you might run a search which should pull up some old threads on the topic.

donescobar2000
10-13-2003, 12:45 PM
This is wierd though Bradley. A month ago I was at my least 171. This was when I weighed myself on a low carb diet. I did like 100 grams for 2 day. A month later and refeeding every 4th day and I come in at 180 lbs this morning. My BF stays the same. On all the other days I continue to eat 2000 cals to cut. Where can I be going wrong?

bradley
10-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by donescobar2000
This is wierd though Bradley. A month ago I was at my least 171. This was when I weighed myself on a low carb diet. I did like 100 grams for 2 day. A month later and refeeding every 4th day and I come in at 180 lbs this morning. My BF stays the same. On all the other days I continue to eat 2000 cals to cut. Where can I be going wrong?

If you were eating low carbs then some of the weight fluctuations would be due to water and glycogen. Low carb diets deplete glycogen stores, which in turn means less water in the muscle.

If you are not losing weight on 2000 cals then your calories are probably a little high. Try decreasing your cals by a small amount and see what kind of results you get. Refeeds would probably still be beneficial, so stick with the refeed every 4th or 5th day.