PDA

View Full Version : Weightgainer twice a day safe?

OiBoy
10-12-2003, 07:00 PM
I dont have much time to eat during the day outside of breakfest, lunch and dinner.

I'm bulking so I've been taking one serving of Nlarge in the morning and another at night... that's 1,200 calories and each serving is 4 scoops.

I might switch to an even better weight gainer that is 1,000 calories (when taken with milk)... and take it twice a day. so that would be 2,000 calories w/ the weight gainer and 2,000 in normal food. 4,000 aint bad.

But is it safe to take a weight gainer twice a day, every day???

I know there is alot of sugar in them so I dont want to become diabetic or anything... also there is 54 g of protein in each n large two serving so that would be 104 g protein a day JUST from weight gainer. Is it safe to take this much protein?? I dont want to damage my kidneys.

Thanks in advance

Isaac Wilkins
10-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Assuming you have no kidney problems currently, that shouldn't be a problem.

Weight gainer twice a day is fine, as long as your calories are accounted for. Is whole food generally better? Yeah. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, though.

jello_g
10-12-2003, 08:59 PM
Since you're increasing your protein intake dramatically, would it be a good idea to increase water intake to keep the kidneys flush? You're probably feeling bloated already with 2 servings of weight gainer each day, so increasing your water intake might be a pain. So the next question is, how much extra water should be consumed to offset the possible damaging effects of high amounts of protein on the kidneys?

bradley
10-13-2003, 02:15 AM
You could always make you own weight gainer and save yourself some money, and cut down on the amount of sugar that you are taking in each day. All you really need is some protein powder, then you can add in carbs and fat to increase the calories to the desired level. There are some shake recipes in the recipe forum that might give you some ideas.

Protein powder and ground up oats works fairly well, and is quite inexpensive.

bradley
10-13-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by jello_g
Since you're increasing your protein intake dramatically, would it be a good idea to increase water intake to keep the kidneys flush? You're probably feeling bloated already with 2 servings of weight gainer each day, so increasing your water intake might be a pain. So the next question is, how much extra water should be consumed to offset the possible damaging effects of high amounts of protein on the kidneys?

A gallon of water per day would be a good place to start, and unless you have pre-existing kidney problems a high protein intake should not be harmful.

theomen
10-13-2003, 10:47 PM
^^
Like said above, take in water, especially on a high protein diet as the extra protein can dehydrate you. If need be, I'll explain further, but I think most know why.