PDA

View Full Version : Work chest the day after shoulders?

KIDRR
10-13-2003, 02:53 AM
Ok, ok I know this has probably been asked a million times before but I couldn't find it in the search.

Is it ok to work chest the day after shoulders. Some times when I do it I feel fine, yet other times my shoulder feel soar when working my chest......:help:

Max-Mex
10-13-2003, 06:28 AM
I wouldnt. Either do them on the same day or give yourself at least a day of rest then go at it. Also, I would do chest first then shoulders.

WillKuenzel
10-13-2003, 07:38 AM
:withstupi

Chest should get more priority and if you do train them separately, get at least a day (2 preferably) of rest in between those training days.

KIDRR
10-15-2003, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the advice :)

tankdogg
10-16-2003, 01:51 AM
I was going to ask the same question except change shoulders to triceps what u think? is that ok?

KIDRR
10-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by tankdogg
I was going to ask the same question except change shoulders to triceps what u think? is that ok?

Hmm it's a pure guess but I think it's ok. I work arms the day after chest and back day all the time. :confused:

AlexBBbegginer
10-16-2003, 04:26 AM
chest shoulders and triceps generally are all used together, if u pick any compound lift for those muscles all 3 of those muscles tend to get used.

Dips - all used
BP(any variation) - all used
OH press - all used
standing OH press - all used
military press - all used

ok im running out of upper body compounds...

but you see how they all connect so why split them?

the only exception is that big back exercises tend to work your traps which are an upper body muscle, and therefore if u do big back lifts you are hitting your shoulders indirectly anyway.

What shoulder exercises are yoo doing?
and are u like me where u have particularly weak shoulders and want them to catch up?
You mention your shoulders sometimes hurt as well which means u might be setting yourself up for injury if your not careful (the roatator cuff gradually wears down)

Some more information on your goals and routine would help.

Max-Mex
10-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by tankdogg

I'd day any arms/shoulder stuff after big compounds (Bench, rows, etc).

KIDRR
10-16-2003, 06:12 PM
My shoulders are pretty strong.

My average routine consists of (although I do change it up quite often due to sheer bordom)

Military press (free weights)
60's 12 reps
65's 9-10 reps
70's 8 reps
75's 6-8 reps

......and 3-4 more exercise's that I don't even know what they are called :confused:

My overall goal is just to keep getting stronger and stronger and bigger too.

chris mason
10-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Ok, here is the deal. I assume when you train chest you will use some form of a pressing movement such and a flat bench press, incline press, or even dips (which I will call a pressing movement). If you do, then working chest the day after shoulders is a grievous mistake. Your shoulders are stressed greatly in any pressing exercise. If they are not recovered from an intense workout the day before, then they will limit the stress you can place on your chest during those pressing movements.

Training chest the day after shoulders would also be training shoulders 2 days in row (essentially), which would quickly lead to overtraining of the shoulders.

I would place chest training first in my order of bodyparts and then wait a day or two before I trained shoulders, or at least train chest before shoulders.

Berserker
10-18-2003, 10:38 AM
For me I would worry shoulder, liagements, joints, tendons holding up. Shoulders are a weak spot for injuries for me.

Years ago I did a split where I did chest and back then arms shoulders next day and rotated which I did first. Probably wouldn't go that route now.
If I was going to a have long weekend, going out of town, and wanted to get my full workout I might do it. But then I would have extra time to rest and not doing it every week.

Kromax
10-21-2003, 02:13 PM
I've always been a push pull guy, but I'd say it depends on your physique and your goal. If you're trying to catch your lagging shoulders up, then I'd recommend doing them two days after chest. Otherwise, like I said--push pull works for me.