PDA

View Full Version : Interesting cutting concept..?

defcon
10-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Okay.. well you know how people say when your cutting.. you should not lose more then 1.5 lbs a week or so.. if you lose more then that your losing small amounts of muscle right.. okay.

well if we have muscle memory.. then once our cut is dun won't that little muscle we lost come back easier? get what oim saying?

so we cut.. loseing 3 lbs a week.. the cut is done and completed in a faster time, therefor we start to bulk sooner, and bulk for longer, which would gain us more musle.. and since we got muscle memory, we would easily gain back the bit we lost during the cutting cycle..

i dunno if any of that makes sence.. but its just sumthing that came to be while i was studying, so i decided to post it :D anyone got ideas about this?

bradley
10-14-2003, 05:10 PM
What advantage would this have over cutting slower in order to prevent muscle loss?

Cutting cals low in order to lose weight faster would also cause a sharper decrease in metabolic rate, increased cortisol, etc. Preserving the muscle you have would be more advantageous than assuming you are going to gain back the LBM that you lost when dieting.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.";)

Y2A
10-14-2003, 05:56 PM
The more weight you lose each week, the more muscle will be lost. If its too fast, you will be losing weight, but your fat % will stay the same. That doesnt help anything...

defcon
10-14-2003, 05:59 PM
yeah true, but what i was trying to say.. if you lose weight faster.. then when you start to bulk, do it slowly at first and you will gain the muscle back from its memory.. so your bf% will go down a LITTLE bit while cutting, plus it would go down more while you START to bulk.. nevermind, its a stupid idea lol, i was just curious :) thanx for the fast reply also there bradely :) i forgot to weight myself this morning. bleh :( i'll have to do it tommorow, im guessing i'll be 167? :P

Scott S
10-14-2003, 09:29 PM
When the idea of bulking and cutting first came around, I'm sure it didn't take long for them to realize that you shed a lot of muscle if you cut too fast, especially once you start getting lean.

While it's true that you can recover your losses within a couple of weeks (depending on how much you lost), most would much rather keep the catch-up to a minimum.

TiGeR AK
10-14-2003, 09:34 PM
does 7-8 lbs in a shade over 6 weeks sound like a good rate of loss?

that's about wut i'm at right now... i FEEL like i may have lost a little muscle.. but my lifts remain strong, and i feel ok.

could it just be mental? looking in the mirror i think i look about the same size.. but i just FEEL smaller in my mind. my brain messing with me perhaps?

bradley
10-15-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by TiGeR AK
does 7-8 lbs in a shade over 6 weeks sound like a good rate of loss?

Sounds like a good pace IMO, but you will have to be the judge as to how fast you want to lose weight. Generally, the higher the bf%, the faster you can drop bf without sacrificing muscle.

that's about wut i'm at right now... i FEEL like i may have lost a little muscle.. but my lifts remain strong, and i feel ok.

could it just be mental? looking in the mirror i think i look about the same size.. but i just FEEL smaller in my mind. my brain messing with me perhaps?

If you are concerned about it, just take measurements every couple of weeks (bf%, tape measurements, etc.).

bradley
10-15-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by defcon
yeah true, but what i was trying to say.. if you lose weight faster.. then when you start to bulk, do it slowly at first and you will gain the muscle back from its memory.. so your bf% will go down a LITTLE bit while cutting, plus it would go down more while you START to bulk..

You are assuming that muscle memory is something that happen automatically. Just because you were 200lbs. with a 175lbs. of lean mass, does not mean that you will immediately jump back up to 175lbs. of lean mass when returning to a hypercaloric diet.

I doubt that muscle memory is going to allow you to gain muscle while continuing to lose bf, especially if you were cutting cals quite low. Your body has a set bf% that it will try to remain at, so when you go back to bulking I would think that there would be an increased chance of you adding bf, especially since metabolic rate will also be decreased due to the hypocaloric dieting.