PDA

View Full Version : bottom squats (pin/rack squats?)

Delphi
10-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Tonight I set the safety bars on my power cage so that my thighs were at parallel when I got under the bar. Then I raised the bar to a standing position and back down to the safety bars. Basically a squat from the bottom. I tried this for the first time tonight and it was tough. There is no springing up from the hole like there is in a traditinal back squat. I did this as the ME lift. I thought I had made up something new, but then I found this article after a search:

http://pub26.ezboard.com/foldschoolstrengthtraining70757frm3.showMessage?topicID=55.topic

Has anybody tried this before?

PowerManDL
10-14-2003, 09:29 PM
I was calling them Deadstop Squats when I did them. I got the name from over at danjohn. They're a bitch.

Delphi
10-14-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm going to try the same technique for benching some day. Getting under the bar should be interesting.

PowerManDL
10-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Where have you been ese? That's one of the best things you can do for bench. Rack pressing in general r00lz.

Maki Riddington
10-15-2003, 11:40 AM
I've been recently using this method with my seated barbell shoulder presses.

Meat_Head
10-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Bottom position squats.

They're very popular in dino training, books kubik, renegade training, etc.... They work great, and it helps recovery to not have to put so much into negatives.

Budiak
10-16-2003, 10:52 PM
I used to do a lot of those bottom position bench presses. They seriously kick ass for strength building. Pin presses are great too, I actually attained my bench max in pin pressing, which was surprising because I thought you were supposed to be had by an 8-dicked walrus whilst pin pressing.

KingJustin
10-17-2003, 07:02 AM
I used to have to do them for bench, squats and military because I had a semi-broken smith machine (the bar would have to rest on the pins and get couldn't get "latched" higher up). Doing squats were tough, I began using my abs on them pretty early. Bench was hard as hell, too. You really have to use your chest and lats..

Turboboy
10-17-2003, 01:43 PM
I've used them some for squats and bench presses. They are a bitch to get outta the hole!! The first one is the hardest....and they seem to get a little easier from there on. lol

Chris Rodgers
10-18-2003, 09:34 AM
I'm not really a fan of those. It's just very awkward to get in the proper position to lift in.

BTW- be careful on the bottom up benches. Make sure you have the bar exactly where you want it and keep everything tight before the lift. This is a good way to freakin tear something or f*ck up a shoulder. I like to do these for short ROM lockouts only. Not in the bottom.

Delphi
10-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Latty, point well taken. I did them the other night for the first time. I made sure my elbows were tucked in, my shoulder blades were in tight, I kept the bar at the lower sternum at the bottom, and kept the bar from drifting up toward my head.

Can you recommend some movements for strength out of the hole on bench pressing, other than DB bench presses, lat work, and speed barbell work?

synthetic
10-18-2003, 05:04 PM
i do it for squats and bench. a rule i found doing this for every one rep starting at the bottom i can do 4 reps touch and go

PowerManDL
10-19-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by LATMAN
BTW- be careful on the bottom up benches. Make sure you have the bar exactly where you want it and keep everything tight before the lift. This is a good way to freakin tear something or f*ck up a shoulder. I like to do these for short ROM lockouts only. Not in the bottom.

My trick for that was to unrack the bar like normal, then lower it to the pins for the first rep.

That way, you're already set how you should be to press. I was also leery of doing a heavy rep straight from the bottom.